1860 Munich - Basement to Big Time (End Bayern's Dominance)

SgtPepperGP

Reaction score
1200px-TSV_1860_München.svg.png

The history of 1860 Munich is an interesting one despite being founded 40 years before Bayern this team has only won the top championship in Germany once in 1965/66 and finishing runners up the next season 1966/67 and in 1931. Whilst also winning the DFB-Pokal in 1942 and 1963/64. In European football they finished runners up in the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1964/65. Emphasising that there glory days came in the 1960's. The last time they had any glimpse or taste of European football was in 2000 after they had finished 4th in the Bundesliga, going out of Champions league qualification third round to Leeds United. Playing in the UEFA Cup where they eventually went out to Parma in the third round. Since then it's really been a downhill struggle even going down into the 4th Tier of German football after finishing in the relegation playoff in the 2. Bundesliga losing it to Jahn Regensburg with a further relegation due to financial issues. However they only spent one season in the 4th Tier finishing top in the Regionalliga Bayern.

Screenshot (4).png

1860 has suffered financially for such a long time such as in 2006 having to sell the 50% shares of the Allianz Arena which they shared with Bayern. This isn't the only time they've ground shared with them as they also with the Olympiastadion from 1972 to 2004 however they did return often to there old stadium the Grünwalder Stadion. Bayern terminated there rental agreement to the Allianz in 2017 so they are now back at the Grünwalder for the foreseeable future.

grunwalder-stadion.jpg
1024px-AllianzArena.jpg
2014_Olympiastadion_Munich.jpg

Now this challenge is easier said than done, to bring 1860 Munich back to the Bundesliga and to overthrow Bayern. This is going to be one of the hardest saves I've ever taken on for a number of reasons which are as follows.

Screenshot (3).png

Financially it should come as no surprise this club is still in a mess when you look at the finances screen you may think well it's not the greatest of ways to start but it doesn't look as bad as you'd think. With £5.2 Million in the clubs overall balance, £0 Transfer budget and with just over £5K in wages to play with you'd be forgiven for thinking maybe with a couple free signings and keeping the best players this team could and should be pushing for promotion this season from the 3. Liga. However despite thinking maybe the finances don't look as bad as you think you can see only 10% of Transfer revenue is made available... Now why would that be? We look alright from the initial figures don't we?

Screenshot (9).png

Ahh wonderful. £450K being paid every single month until 2032. Now the decrease in transfer revenue makes sense but it also shows the massive challenge we have here. Now we do have 2 players in particular I believe can help this initial financial crisis we have. Pump money into the initial club budget of £5.2 million and maybe give ourselves a little wiggle room to make signings with actual money.

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (10).png

In our first season we are expected to challenge for the 3. Liga playoffs and be competitive in the DFB-Pokal. Now along with that we also have to work towards repairing the club's financial damage as you have seen further up in the article. However I include the next season which also the end of my contract purely for the fact along with gaining automatic promotion to the Bundesliga 2 my main goal is to repair the financial damage. That could be very tricky so we have to really be smart with signings (Permanent or Loans) and fiscally sound so we can build this club back into a stable state so we can push forward and achieve my main objectives.

Screenshot (6).png

The fans have a moderate voice with the board so I'm going to try and keep them happy as much as possible, such as the board so achieving at least the 3. Liga playoffs this first season is crucial in my opinion. Being an optimist I'd love to win the 3. Liga this year but it's about building a sustainable squad that can challenge with the best teams and not completely crumble at the first sign of adversity. Now I mentioned earlier about a couple players I'm going to look to sell to bring in funds for the team.

Screenshot (7).png

Now this is Tom Kretzschmar. As you can see in the comparison box at the bottom left he is our joint best goalkeeper but with slightly more potential. Now the fact he is wanted by Monaco, Lille, Marseille, Lyon and Rennes means that this is a player I need to sell and possibly loan back for the season due to our lack of depth in the Goalkeeping position. However with this many teams interested it's a player that needs to go to provide finances towards our ultimate goal. Only negative being he has 1 Year left on his current deal which means we might not get as much as we should but with 4 teams majorly interested and 1 minor (Monaco) then I believe we can get more than his £450K transfer value. If possible I'm hoping to push it for £1 Million but this isn't the player that's going to make us the most money this next player is.

Screenshot (8).png

Leandro Morgalla, 17 years old, 3 Star CA with a possible 5 PA. Now as you can see in the dynamics he's pleased to have signed a new contract. So this could be tricky in moving him on. However with him such a great player at a young age this is the guy who I can see us making £5 Million from. Now I ordinarily would never want to sell a player like this who's come through the youth team with such amazing potential and current ability but with our financial struggles if we can get £5 Million not only will that be £4.5 Million injected straight into the club so we don't to worry to much about us going bankrupt straight away. We will have £500,000 pounds to play with in the transfer budget. Now maybe I'm being to optimistic with £5 Million but anything over £4 million I think is huge for us and of course I'll be putting in for our loan back to hopefully keep him with us for a season at least.

I won't go through every player right now I'll save that for later posts however we do have a relatively strong squad with two 4 Star CA players and a lot of 3.5's so challenging for the playoffs I think is realistic. But before I go I think the title of this post sums it all up. Our main objective is to make it to the Bundesliga, to over throw Bayern's dominance, win a Bundesliga, win as many derbies and trophies as possible to make 1860 the most dominant team in Munich. I'm very excited to get started and to update you on our progress as we move on. Now please let me know if there's anything specifically I've missed you want to see in later posts. I will update this when we've finished pre-season before our first game and then after every month has finished to update on results, our league positioning, transfers and anything else.

Thanks for reading and let's go 1860!