England Ashes squad to face Australia

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
England Ashes Test squad:

Andrew Strauss (captain, Middlesex), Alastair Cook (vice-captain, Essex), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Steven Davies (wk, Surrey), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Monty Panesar (Sussex), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Matt Prior (wk, Sussex), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Chris Tremlett (Surrey), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/9019572.stm

Dunno why Panesar is there, hopefully just to make up the numbers :S

The exact squad I predicted, Panesar is there for pitches like Brisbane or Melbourne which are flat as **** and we are going to need two spinners. Graeme Swann is awesome but it would be too much pressure on him to go into these games with no other spinner. Panesar will play a part. Good to see him back if you ask me. Also pleased to see Tremlett had a great season for us at Surrey.

Panesar is ther for Adelaide/Sydney I assume. Spin will definitely be a factor there. It's almost crimminal not to have two spinners there. But it hasn't been as dry in Australia as it has been in previous years esp in Sydney so I don't think you'll see as much turn as you've seen over the last 2-3 tours. I think the pitches will be very, very quick for this summer, from watching highlights of the domestic comp, the WACA is lightning quick

Good to see Finn and Tremlett make it, their pace and bounce will be invaluable on the dead decks of Australia. Panesar remains a good spinner, and he'll be a useful backup to Swann. No real surprises here, then.

Rashid should be in instead of Panesar in my opinion, Panesar is the exact same as Swann with no variation.

I was disappointed to see bresnan there, i dont think he is a good enough Bowler to be part of the attach, with him not taking a lot of wickets, his batting is also not a test match standard batsman, so really he cant be in the squad for his bowling or batting. If we use him in a 5 man attack, we might as well use Collingwoods gentle cutters for a few overs, if we want to keep it tight. So i think i would of gone down the route of maybe another top class batsmen to cover injuries, form as players like Bell, KP and even Collingwood arent in the best of form right now.

Steve Finn's pace and bounce will be deadly on the Australian pitches although our batting looks a worry if injuries occur to 2-3 batsemen...Eoin Morgan should hopefully hold the middle order together with Collingwood although we lack a Genuine All-Rounder...Gosh I miss Freddie:'(

I was disappointed to see bresnan there, i dont think he is a good enough Bowler to be part of the attach, with him not taking a lot of wickets, his batting is also not a test match standard batsman, so really he cant be in the squad for his bowling or batting. If we use him in a 5 man attack, we might as well use Collingwoods gentle cutters for a few overs, if we want to keep it tight. So i think i would of gone down the route of maybe another top class batsmen to cover injuries, form as players like Bell, KP and even Collingwood arent in the best of form right now.
I think he's just there in case say Anderson/Broad get injured and we need someone reliable, who's got a bit of experience at least. He's not going to take five for but he could keep it tight and build up a bit of pressure, at least we know what we're getting. Whereas Tremlett who knows!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Steve Finn's pace and bounce will be deadly on the Australian pitches although our batting looks a worry if injuries occur to 2-3 batsemen...Eoin Morgan should hopefully hold the middle order together with Collingwood although we lack a Genuine All-Rounder...Gosh I miss Freddie:'(
Yes but i would say that Broad and Swann together make up a genuine all rounder.

KP and Strauss will be our maion batsmen along with Cook who seems to perform quite well in Tests...whatever criticism people have against KP,I am tipping him to bounce back in these Ashes...he is undoubtedly the most naturally taleneted batsmen to come out of England since Graham Gooch

I think he's just there in case say Anderson/Broad get injured and we need someone reliable, who's got a bit of experience at least. He's not going to take five for but he could keep it tight and build up a bit of pressure, at least we know what we're getting. Whereas Tremlett who knows!

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Yes but i would say that Broad and Swann together make up a genuine all rounder.

I think though if we play just 4 bowlers, with 3 pace bowlers and Swann, lets say we play Finn, Broad and Anderson, and one gets injured it see very silly to then bring in Bresnan, our bowling would look very weak, and he isnt good enough to bat at 5 or 6 as a batsmen either.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

KP and Strauss will be our maion batsmen along with Cook who seems to perform quite well in Tests...whatever criticism people have against KP,I am tipping him to bounce back in these Ashes...he is undoubtedly the most naturally taleneted batsmen to come out of England since Graham Gooch

i agree with you, but cook isnt in good form, he scored what 1 hundred in 14ish months. So if he has a shocking first 4 test lets say, and will bring someone in. Who can come in to replace him? We would have to re shuffle the whole side as we havent got an opening batsman.

I think though if we play just 4 bowlers, with 3 pace bowlers and Swann, lets say we play Finn, Broad and Anderson, and one gets injured it see very silly to then bring in Bresnan, our bowling would look very weak, and he isnt good enough to bat at 5 or 6 as a batsmen either.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

i agree with you, but cook isnt in good form, he scored what 1 hundred in 14ish months. So if he has a shocking first 4 test lets say, and will bring someone in. Who can come in to replace him? We would have to re shuffle the whole side as we havent got an opening batsman.

yeah true...Luke Wright maybe...he certainly opened for England during the T20s and he is a genuine all-rounder but I dount his ability at Tests

yeah true...Luke Wright maybe...he certainly opened for England during the T20s and he is a genuine all-rounder but I dount his ability at Tests

Luke wirght isnt test quality, he isnt even ODI quality tbh. I reckon someone like Michael Carberry.

Luke wirght isnt test quality, he isnt even ODI quality tbh. I reckon someone like Michael Carberry.

Michael Carberry looks the best out of the lot but tbh him against Australia...just shows our lack of depth in batting

Michael Carberry looks the best out of the lot but tbh him against Australia...just shows our lack of depth in batting

We all said that about Jon Trott 14months ago. Then looked what happens. a player in form is a player in form.

We all said that about Jon Trott 14months ago. Then looked what happens. a player in form is a player in form.

Jon trott turned out great but his cases are well not too common but we will just have to wait and see and hopefully no injuries occur to our opening batsmen

Jon trott turned out great but his cases are well not too common but we will just have to wait and see and hopefully no injuries occur to our opening batsmen

yh i hope they stay injury free, but i feel form might lead to a change needing to be made, we will never know about players unless they play. Freddie had a modest country average with bat or ball, before we took a gamble on him.

yh i hope they stay injury free, but i feel form might lead to a change needing to be made, we will never know about players unless they play. Freddie had a modest country average with bat or ball, before we took a gamble on him.

Thats why KP is so important to us...really he can turn a game around single-handedly,never ever seen a batsmen like him before ****** explosive

Thats why KP is so important to us...really he can turn a game around single-handedly,never ever seen a batsmen like him before ****** explosive

yh he is a top player, but to rely on any player for every test in a series is a dangerous game.

Go England go! Beat Australia in their own backyard :)