Aelix90

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have still not started playing FM16. But I have already started my planning towards the tactical side of my save.
I am toying with the idea of creating a direct counter-attacking 4-2-3-1 with a base on Diego Simone's philosophy. By that I will use indostrious sentral players and tryto press the ball wide.
I am aiming towards a wider system that utilizes wide playmakers and overlapping full-backs.
The attack will probably use a target-man up front and a shadow-striker behind him.

I have used the same philosophy in a 4-3-3 system before with good results. But with this tactic I have gotten stability at the back using a half-back that covers and protects the defensive line while my full-backs are pressing forward.

Now in a 4-2-3-1 I will use two deep-lying midfielders and what I want to know from you is:
- Will a half-back function optimally together with a partner in this area?
- If so. What player should be paired with him?
- Is there another set-up in this area that will function better?

atm im testing this shape

GK
FB-s DC-st BDC-def FB-s

Anchor-def
DLP-def
IF-at ap-sup IF-at

AF-A

Only few matches, now didnt mainly this set up coz i was trashed away from home and as i said in other thread this year match engine crosses are deadly and a 4321 is really exposed.

atm seems doing the job away, now i feel its too def at home, btw i m on control fluid system, possession based short passing work ball in box, playin with Man utd.

i ll try to contribute if i find something usefull but im far from being an ace tactician :(

Hi everyone!
I have still not started playing FM16. But I have already started my planning towards the tactical side of my save.
I am toying with the idea of creating a direct counter-attacking 4-2-3-1 with a base on Diego Simone's philosophy. By that I will use indostrious sentral players and tryto press the ball wide.
I am aiming towards a wider system that utilizes wide playmakers and overlapping full-backs.
The attack will probably use a target-man up front and a shadow-striker behind him.

I have used the same philosophy in a 4-3-3 system before with good results. But with this tactic I have gotten stability at the back using a half-back that covers and protects the defensive line while my full-backs are pressing forward.

Now in a 4-2-3-1 I will use two deep-lying midfielders and what I want to know from you is:
- Will a half-back function optimally together with a partner in this area?
- If so. What player should be paired with him?
- Is there another set-up in this area that will function better?

A half back can function in a 4231 dm variant, Optimally? depends on what you want from him.
partner also depends what you want from the partner.
again set up in this area is also dependant on what you want.

The general rule of thumb is that the 2 cm's/dm's should both be holding players to maintain the defensive shape

A half back can function in a 4231 dm variant, Optimally? depends on what you want from him.
partner also depends what you want from the partner.
again set up in this area is also dependant on what you want.

The general rule of thumb is that the 2 cm's/dm's should both be holding players to maintain the defensive shape

Thanks for the replies guys!

I was looking towards having a half-back role that will shield the defence and keep a decent and balanced number of defenders at the back while in attack.
I want a high press from the central midfield to win the ball and counter quickly using the flanks where I want my creative players to mainly reside during the game.
Since the tactic will be highly dependant on offensive full-backs I feel that I will be exposed if I go for a formation with two central midfielders instead of deep lying ones.
Maybe a ball winning and an agressive directly minded deep lying playmaker would work better to recycle possession quicklier up the pitch?

I am mainly going to use this tactic against front-heavy opponents and in some hard away games to get more balance and not get outnumbered. While in other games I'll go for my preferred 4-3-3

I will of course experiment when I get the game. I am just looking for opinions and an outsider's experience and view :)

Last edited: