Struggling against defensive opponents

dudu281

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Hi everyone. I'm having a go at AC Milan and despite doing quite well, sitting 2nd after 12 games, I'm having a lot of problems to break down lower table teams and/or poor finishing in some instances.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would also like some tactical advice. I don't have a lot of experience, so I haven't quite nailed down the roles for:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The left midfielder (tried CM(S), BBM and now MEZ(S)) - I've played Kessie, Vukcevic and Bonaventura there (also Sturaro sometimes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Advanced Midfielder (tried AM(S), AM(A), AP(S) and AP(A)) - Bonaventura (faster) and Vazquez (fantastic playmaker on paper but slow)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The support striker on the right (tried F9, DLF(S) and CF(S)) - Andre Silva and Andone (passing, work rate and team work)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kind Regards[/FONT]

I see that you have high possession around 60%, lots of shots about 15 per game.
You have to find the position of these shot because you have too many off-target, are these long shots or from a tight angle? How many CCCs do you have per game ?
You may have to "work the ball into the box" or replace one or more striker.
Mental stats and first touch are very important for all players and even more for strikers.

Sometimes "Opposition Instructions" can help you to press the opposition defensive line force them to mistakes and create a chance to score (pessing can create a better chance than the best playmaker). here is an example of OIs to press a def-line of 4:
View attachment 52743

Last edited:
Hey dudu, I am playing as AC milan as well, into March of first season and seeing the same issues with the long shots and shots on target (plus the miracle keepers the opposition always have!)

I haven;t used a narrow formation like you though, I went with AMR/L - Bonaventursa or Calhagolu on the left, Suso or Ben Arfa (bought cheap for backup) on the right. Both flanks on Inside Forward.
I also struggle against the deep sitting compact defences but find adding width helps - getting Conti or Rodriguez coming forward from the FB position.

My standard formation is the 4-1-2-3 DM, with a 4-2-1-3 2DM as a lower defensive block, and the DM pushed into a three MC 4-3-2-1 formation if I need to press higher and control the final third.

Kessie is awesome as a BBM of Mezzala and Locatelli is playing real well with a variety of roles. Biglia is my sit deep and holding playmaker, either as a DM or in MC.

Doing OK with it so far, hovering 2nd/3rd in Serie A (**** you Juve) and next fixture is Arsenal in the Europe League knockouts but am enjoying the save. Youth intake day is next week and am really excited to see the newgens!

Best advice for your tactic against the deep compact defense is to try and stretch them a bit. Drop a bit deeper, play wider and pull them out of their 'bunker' to create space for your guys to work the ball through.

I am using Work Ball Into Box much more on this save than usual although there are decent headers (Silvea/Kalinic) in the squad to start with.

Last edited:
1) Look at your wasteful shots, whether they're being blocked or are from long range. You have a massive amount of shots NOT hitting the target.

2) Look at your midfield control or rather the possible lack of it. Look to see if you have more than one player sitting and controlling the midfield. It looks like it may only be your DLP doing it, so you lack that control. The bonus of letting a two man team do that job of recycling possession, is that it frees up space in the final third by a) drawing out the opponent and then b) letting the other attackers exploit that space.