Tactic Question [Retaining Possesion in oppositions half]

Scoteeh

Reaction score
Okay so like most managers, i've tried to adopt a similar Barcelona style of play with my Liverpool squad.
I've looked at people's tactics on here and tweaked my own tactic to see if it makes a difference, the only problem for me is well, having more than 55% possession and well winning the ball back in the oppositions half, if someone could please tell me what player instructions to use, i'd very much appreciate it. I would like to screen my tactics however when i click PRT Scrn, it goes off the FM 12 screen :(

I noticed on some tactics, "closing down own half" (this could be for someone like xavi, now does that mean xavi will only close down in Barcelona's half or the half he naturally plays in, (oppositions' half))

I'd appreciate any good feedback on both factors of high possession and closing down in oppositions half.
Thanks ~
Scott

You would need to play a high pressing game. Closing down of all the players should be high as well as a very high defensive line. I would suggest using the very fluid style of play and the press more option from the wizard.

hmm i tried that, player still don't seem to close down that much.

4-3-3 (but with a cdm dropping behind the two playmaker. The forward 3, one playing at a centre forward posisiton, the other two are just below the centre forward (diagonally on both flanks), played as inside forward.

So U could describe it also as 4-5-1, a tactic Ive been trying to get working as well. Problem has been that Pressing for me too. What U could try and I found working was that dont allow ur AMR & AML to Roam from their position. If U do that, they will stick to their side when not in possession and therefore preventing the opposition from passing to the flanks. Then its just a matter of Whole Pitch - Closing down on the forward and ur 2 CM's.

Do you set it to whole pitch or own half? I thought own half resembled the half the players position was (example a striker set to own half would only close down in the opponents half)

Ive got every single player I have on the field Whole Pitch bar full. Ive also put WBL & WBR to Tight Marking.

Ive got 88% Possession tho the opposition was **** :D First half Possession was 93% :D

How the **** do you have that much possession? Could you possible screenshot some of your team instructions?
I'd really appreciate it

Im making a Barca tactic so U can just download it when its ready :)

My average Possession is about 70% and lots of passes. I still gotta improve the passing a bit and then I wanna see sum moar goals than 1 - 3. Ive conceded 5 goals, 0 in the league and currently unbeaten run of about uhm, 20 games or so?

Last edited:
Well basically the same everybody else has when it comes to Possession tactics -> Fluid, Control with the rest being the usual ones. (Shorter, Press More, More Expressive etc)

hmm exactly the same as mine, apart from i use very fluid yet my possesion never climaxes 60%.