Giorggio360

Reaction score
I decided to play a game with my local team, Bromley Town, to see if I could raise the Blue Square South team into a force to be reckoned with.

I started off with the usual backroom meeting, which assessed the players I had - young, aggressive, tall and strong, but bad at passing, unfit and unskilled. I was also recommended to sign a new goalkeeper and upgrade youth facilities. My request was refused and my transfer budget was £0. Not a good start.

After this I chose my first team, and my first inclination was that the strength lay with the centre backs; captain Rob Gillman and Salifou Ibrahima, especially Ibrahima's physical attributes for such a small teamView attachment 223427

I was also slightly impressed by the attack, which showed some decent players.

Bromley 1:0 Bromley Reserves

I was rather frustrated by the fact that I could only manage a 1-0 victory over my own reserves. At half time I completely changed the team, using 22 of my 23 man squad as most were extremely unfit at this time. My goal came from Dayton after he headed in at the back post from Switzman's cross in the 71st minute. Man of the match was Dayton with a rating of 7.6.

I soon realised that many of my players would improve vastly if I could snap them up into pro contracts, the first being Dayton. Imagine my surprise when he signed - and was valued at a loft £45K!

Anyway, my next friendly was against Hinckley of the Blue Square North - I hoped this would give me an insight into how well my team would stack up in the league.

Hinckley 1:0 Bromley

This game was drab, boring - Bromley only managed a single shot on target. Still, I was pleased to only concede once and Hinckley were predicted to finish 8th, higher than myself. Man of the match was Ibrahima with 7.2.

I continued to put more and more players onto pro deals, and my whole starting XI was now professional. However, I was concerned about my next game with Rhyl, as I knew they were a good side.

Bromley 2:2 Rhyl

I was very pleased to draw with this side - they are predicted 3rd in the Welsh Premier League. We took the lead after five minutes, with Dolby finishing after a good through ball from McBean. Rhyl equalised after we dominated the first half an hour, and Daly put us back in the lead with a piledriver from the edge of the box from a Dolby corner. Rhyl again equalised in a slightly tamer second half. Still, I was pleased to do so well. Man of the match as Dolby with 8.1.

I was happy, and on seeing my next game, thought I could get an easy win.

Caersws 0:1 Bromley

Away in Wales to the predicted 17th team in the Welsh Premier, we were outplayed for the entire game and were lucky to get a clean sheet. Ashley Carew scored our first shot of the game on the stroke of half time, and we only had another in the second 45. Ashley Carew picked up man of the match with 7.4.

I was pleased with the last two results, and headed into a derby game with Croydon Athletic

Croydon Athletic 1:1 Bromley

A scrappy game, Croydon went ahead in the second half, and Daly equalised late on after a cross from Melia. Man of the match went to Dayton with 7.8.

However, Dayton was out for a week after that match, and missed the game against Welshpool.
Bromley 0:1 Welshpool

This was a poor match, and Welshpool only scored whilst Dolby was off the pitch injured. I was still annoyed about losing this one, especially when we had drawn to Rhyl who are a better side than this. Man of the match was Dunk with 7.5.

I was hoping that the team could respond well in the next game after an invitation from the Glenn Hoddle Academy.

Bromley 0:3 GH Academy

We were outplayed entirely by the Academy, who waltzed through our defence with ease. However, we did create chances - three clear cut chances and three woodwork hits could have changed the game for us. However, we did get rather humiliated by this side. Man of the match was Daly with 6.9.

Next up was our final friendly game against rivals and parent club Crystal Palace. Bromley had once managed to draw this game 2-2, and the stadium was full in anticipation.
Bromley 0:4 Crystal Palace

You could tell who was the Championship side here. Palace destroyed our defence, and could have had more. Ryan Hall missed a penalty, but it would have been a mere consolation. Man of the match was Daly again with 7.0.

So ends the pre-season fixtures of Bromley Town. One win, two draws and four losses, and conceding eight goals in three goals whilst scoring none was not the kind of form I wished to go into the season with. I decided on a new strike partnership of Ruggles and Ferguson, and was tipped as the 6-4 favourites - how, I did not know. I was away to Worcester.

Worcester 2:3 Bromley

Finally some goals! Ruggles and Ferguson's new partnership paid off immediately - Ruggles netting after 22 minutes after a through ball from Ferguson. Worcester then equalised. Hall replied with a classy chip from the edge of the area on 36 minutes, and Worcester again replied. Bromley put the game to bed on 56 minutes with a smashing drive from twenty yards, and I was pleased that Bromley had edged out an opponent away from home, whilst having similar possession and shots on target. I had a slight concern that Carew had given away a penalty for one of the Worcester goals. Ruggles was the star man with 8.8, while Ferguson and Hall both got ratings of over 8.

This victory raised my spirits somewhat. Whilst my defence was still rather lack-lustre, up front my men were doing the business again. My next game was against Havant & Waterlooville.

Bromley 4:2 Havant & Waterlooville

Yet again a scoring fest with Bromley coming out on top. Ferguson scored his first of the season after a sensational through ball from Daly just before the break, with Havant responding soon after. Ryan Hall buried a penalty on 65 minutes, and McBean stole the ball from the last defender and finished clinically on 70 minutes. Havant responded again, but Ryan Hall made sure of the three points with a great shot from twenty yards. My defending concerns were again compounded, and Carew gave away yet another penalty for Havant. However, I was pleased at the result and Ryan Hall picked up man of the match with 9.1, with a smattering of other players receiving 8s and above.

So, fourth after two games and scored seven goals. I have a few qualms over the team:

Short term: Ashley Carew giving away penalties - could cost us in a narrow game.
Medium term: This defence - it clearly isn't on form, and if the goals dry up we will be seeing more draws and losses.
Long term: Wage rises - the 10% included on most players' contracts would raise the bill over the wage budget, which is already fully stretched - hopefully I can persuade the chairman to increase these.

There are also rumours abound that a consortium plans to take over Bromley - hopefully they can afford to upgrade some facilities, and increase the wage bill. I have also switched parent club to nearby Charlton Athletic, which comes with all the benefits of the Palace affiliation, but also Charlton players will come on loan, and Charlton pay us £8K a year.