2011 Women's World Cup

GodCubed

Mod-ern Day Legend
Reaction score
FIFA-Womens-World-Cup.jpg

Surprised nobody's made a thread for this yet, but the 2011 Women's World Cup kicked off on Sunday with a French win over Nigeria.

The women's game doesn't receive the coverage it deserves, but maybe this tournament can change it. Germany, the hosts and hot favourites, are spearheaded by the legendary Birgit Prinz (and I mean legendary: 128 goals in 213 apps for the national team alone) and got their campaign off to a solid start against Canada, winning 2-1 courtesy of Kerstin Garefrekes and Celia Okoyino da Mbabi, with Christine Sinclair bagging a consolation for Canada with a well-taken freekick.

Brazil, as in the men's game, remain a veritable threat, with a talented squad marshalled by modern great Marta, a pacey forward with a scarcely believable scoring record (and I mean scarcely believable: 76 goals in 69 apps for the national team, 169 goals in 166 apps domestically).

There are plenty of other contenders though: the USA are solid as ever, and have arguably the finest 'keeper in the world in Hope Solo. England also harbour hopes, with talisman Kelly Smith one of the best players in the world, and other dark horses like Japan, Nigeria and Mexico all potential challengers.

Dots&Crosses will attempt to follow the English team (and I mean attempt: last time I tried to follow the national team in any capacity I got bored after one game) in their journey, which incidentally got off to an iffy start against Mexico, with Fara Williams' headed opener cancelled out by a magnificent individual effort from long range by Monica Ocampo.

So. Fixtures, matches, favourites, questionable refereeing decisions, Sepp Blatter's questionable approach to women's football - discuss it all here.

Any Liverpool ladies in the England team? only seen a few games and i like the look of Nikki Harding(in more ways than one). Decent wing back :)

where is it being shown? coverage seems to really poor, and thats just disappointing

Seriously, where was the fanfare? would have been all over that like a rash?

Think they shoved it out onto the red button, irritatingly. I only caught it because I had just finished watching a Wimbledon match on the red button.

I've watched Germany-Canada, not really a good match, but an amazing ending.
The only thing I don't like about Women's football is that they don't swap shirts. That would make the game more popular(6)

Think they shoved it out onto the red button, irritatingly. I only caught it because I had just finished watching a Wimbledon match on the red button.

and they complain about the lack of coverage...

Saw the England-Mexico hi-lights and the Mexico goal was a great strike, although the keeper should have got it the strike was different class on her weaker foot too (apparently). Womans football is decent but the standard of goalkeeping is pretty poor, Kelly Smith looks as if she could play the mens game by the way. I will catch hi-lights if i remember but i wont put myself out to watch games.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

The only thing I don't like about Women's football is that they don't swap shirts. That would make the game more popular(6)

Ah, sexist pig much??

Any Liverpool ladies in the England team? only seen a few games and i like the look of Nikki Harding(in more ways than one). Decent wing back :)

Think there are a couple more. You sexist pig. : p

Marta is Pelé with a dress.

Pele is Marta in trousers. ;)

Hahaha. You sexist pig. : p

It is a shame. The match was good though, brilliant to see an England team with such composure on the ball. Kelly Smith is a bona fide global superstar too.

To be fair, Wimbledon was always going to triumph over the women's World Cup. That's just how it's been. Hopefully it will be available to watch again, maybe on the BBC iPlayer.

Great strike from Ocampo, any footballer would be proud of that beaut'.

PS: Aluko (?) is horrendous.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;vpraiiS3wXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpraiiS3wXY[/video]

Good to see the standard of goalkeeping is as high as ever.