4-1-4-1 counter

• Thread starter Thread starter rrj2415
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 6K

rrj2415

Reaction score
Has anybody had any success with this as a counter attacking formation? Being solid at the back yet still being able to score goals. Not the same, but in a way kind of like an old chelsea tactic from the days of drogba, lampard, essien etc? If anybody has done this could they please give tops such as TI's and player roles? Thanks:)

I've been using a basic 4-1-4-1 counter. Was having pretty decent success with it with Hull City. I was already toying with it but Cleon's Counterattacking thread on SI gave me some more insight.

Mentality - Counter
Team Shape - Flexible or Rigid (Rigid will restrict the overall creativity in the side more so I base it on the players I have)

GK-D
FB-S
CD-D
CD-D
FB-S

AM

WM-S
B2B-S
CM-D
WM-S

DLP-S or DF-S

No TIs.

I tweak accordingly. If I have a very attacking FB, I might go FB-A. If I have a more attacking winger, I might go W-S. I try to stay away from too many attacking roles, because I want the primary intent to be maintaining shape and defensive structure. The CM roles can be adapted as required - CM-S or possible even CM-A against a side that is going to defend more, etc. With WMs, its easy to tweak them with PIs, which makes them quite versatile.

TIs are added as needed as tweaks. A deeper defensive line is helpful if I have really slow defenders or need to draw the opposition out. Retain Possession is helpful for killing off a game. When a counter-attack possibility is triggered, that event overrides most settings anyway so there really isn't need to try to find TIs to help it. The TIs are more about how we play defensively and with the ball in a normal, non-counter but still attacking situation.

Back