4-4-2-English Styles: Arsenals Invincibles & Uniteds Treble Team, Tactic Explained

Which style was better???

• Total voters

kino4city

Reaction score
4-4-2-English Styles: Arsenals Invincibles & Uniteds Treble Team, Tactic Explained

Brief Intro:
These variations have both been massively influential on modern day English game. Both managers have clearly used different styles, Fergie and Wenger had one similarity and that was that the time was very balanced and symmetrical. And these notions are clear to within the infra-structures of a majority of teams throughout the English game, from Sunday League all the way to the Top Flight of the English League.

Tactic Explained:
Method and Theory
These tactics are famous for its free flowing width and organised central midfield, therefore the wide players have vital roles in both renditions, they are instructed to get forward and provide support.

Both teams played a Flat 4-4-2 formation, but tactically with the individual instruction, they both seemed adopt the mentalities of a 4-4-2 Diamond formation.

• United lined up in midfield with the traditional wide midfielder, and then the middle consisted of a box-to-box defensive machine, and then an attacking midfielder constantly tormenting the oppositions defence.
  • The defence both consisted of traditional full backs, encouraged to get forward and support the midfield and also provided early crosses; and the central defenders both had one covering and one power house.​
  • The two strikers often played off another, with one lying deeper than the other. Both teams had a deep lying forward that often stole the headlines for his ability to change a game.

Line up’s from the late 1990s:
Arsenal
GK: Jens Lehmann
DR: Lauren
DCR: Sol Campbell
DCL: Kolo Touré
DL: Cole
MR: Freddie Ljungberg
MCR: Patrick Viera
MCL: Gilberto Silva
ML: Robert Pirés
DLF: Dennis Bergkamp
ST: Thierry Henry
Manchester United
Peter Schmeichel : GK
Gary Neville : DR
Ronny Johnsen : DCR
Jaap Stam : DCL
Dennis Irwin : DL
David Beckham : MR
Paul Scholes : MCR
Roy Keane : MCL
Ryan Giggs : ML
Teddy Sheringham : DLF
Andy Cole : ST

Images from FM2012 Tactics

Arsenal
arsenals442-1.jpg

United

uniteds442-1.jpg

Line up’s from the late 1990s:

THE INVINCIBLES 4-4-2 98/99 by kino4city :- Recommended Player Types

GK:

Old fashioned goalkeeper, good all-rounder
FB:
Good on defending, high positional skills, high work rate pacey, and good at crossing in
CB(l):
Big, strong, all out defensive unit!
CB(r):
Composed and determined, pacey and excellent anticipation, also decent abilities the play a ball
CM(l):
Good stamina, work rate, teamwork, tackling and marking skills, needs to be have great ability to read the game, high concentration and anticipation.
CM(r):
Good stamina, work rate, teamwork and positioning, a strong and powerful unit, able to both defend and attack
WM:
Skillful, agile, good decision makers, high flair, dribbling and crossing. Good off the ball movement, teamwork, stamina are also very important
ST(r):
Playmaker forward, DLP, good at passing, high stamina and picking up the ball deep, he will drop deep and strive forward to create goal attempts for himself and others
ST(l):
Complete Forward, quick good at passing, high stamina and an excellent finisher close up and from distance, off the ball is essential along with composure

MUFC 4-4-2 98/99 by kino4city :- Recommended Player Types

GK:

Old fashioned goalkeeper, good all-rounder
FB:
Good on defending, high positional skills, high work rate, pacey, decent dribbling skills and good at crossing
CB(l):
Composed and determined, high in stamina and needs excellent anticipation, requires good passing, good decision making and concentration
CB(r):
Big, strong, all out defensive unit! needs excellent anticipation, requires good decision making and high concentration
CM(l):
Good stamina, work rate, teamwork and positioning, a strong and powerful unit, able to both defend and attack, needs to have excellent attributes in tackling, concentration, aggression and anticipation
CM(r):
Good stamina, teamwork and positioning, with high flair, creativity, decisions and excellent passing
WM(l):
Skillful, agile, good decision makers, high flair, dribbling and crossing. Good off the ball movement, teamwork, stamina are also very important
WM(r):
Good stamina, teamwork and positioning, with high creativity, decisions and excellent passing and crossing
ST(r):
Advanced Forward whose good at passing, high stamina and an excellent finisher close up and from distance, off the ball is essential along with composure
ST(l):
Playmaker forward, DLP, good at passing, high stamina and picking up the ball deep, he will drop deep and strive forward to create goal attempts for himself and others

☜-(⌒▽⌒)-☞
Tactics available for Download:

Click Here

or visit webpage below,
http://www.mediafire.com/?lbhdwv392xdhyz2

Please if you post this tactic elsewhere please credit me and post something like this...

This tactic was created by kino4city, member on fm-base.
email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Always preferred the football the earlier United team played, a solid back, attacking full backs two midfield box to box men, interchanging wingers and cantona roaming, gorgeous stuff.

Schmiechel, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Parker, Kanchelskis, Ince, Keane, Giggs, Cantona, Hughes..

but out of the too teams above.. Arsenal.

what type of team does this tac working with-´_? just big teams or_ _`_?

what type of team does this tac working with-´_? just big teams or_ _`_?

As i discussed they can be used for any team, you just need to stick to kind of players suggested, its not going to work if were to play players out of position... I currently use both variations in my Staines save, Lowest League to Champions of Europe, it works wonders especailly the Arsenal variation as they have a truely balanced 4-4-2...

ANY FEEDBACK IS WELCOME ON YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES AND JUST MENTION WHAT TEAM WAS USED

oki.. thanks.. going to test it with southampton in championship.. wonder if you could say how you should set up the first 11 with the current squad :D thanks in advice

oki.. thanks.. going to test it with southampton in championship.. wonder if you could say how you should set up the first 11 with the current squad :D thanks in advice

it depends which style you want to play, would rather have your flair on the wings, or through the middle.

like I said above I useboth, so here are my suggested Line ups for each style

Arsenal Style:
GK : K Davis
DR : F Richardson
DL : D Fox
DCR : J Hooiveld
DCL : J Fonte
MR : S De Ridder
ML : A Lallana
MCR : J Cork
MCL : M Schneiderlin
FCR : D Connolly
FCL : R Lambert

United Style:
GK : K Davis
DR : D Butterfield
DL : D Harding
DCR : J Fonte
DCL : J Hooiveld
MR : G do Prado
ML : D Fox
MCR : A Lallana
MCL : J Cork
FCR : D Connolly
FCL : R Lambert

Signings Needed for the Squad
I'd be buying a creative centre midfielder, with flair and excellent passing details, someone like Peter Whittingham to play in the Scholes role.

Also needed is a defensive orientated midfielder, someone to read the game and win the ball back and on occasion provide a good attacking pass or a supporting run forward, like Gary Deegan(Coventry) or Hosny

need a right sided full back, someone that can do it all, Keith Watson(Dundee Utd)

and finally a keeper that is more agile and a good shot stopper, Lee Camp(Notts Forrest)

These aren't reccomended on their potential, i just think they would add depth to the squad and suit the roles of both tactics

oki thanks.. do you use one for home game and one for away ?? how do you choose what tactics to use?

Nice..
Match preparation? Traning?

But in the past the wingers are the creative players who create goals..
While the CM fight for the ball. In modern football its the midfielder in the center of the park doing that

oki thanks.. do you use one for home game and one for away ?? how do you choose what tactics to use?

I don't really just depends on where the oppositions threats are, i alternate between the tactics and then have 2 different stored shouts i use for home and away, so i check the opposition style and choose accordingly on instincts more than anything else... If you look at Might and Magic™ by Raikan007 post to get an idea of Touchline Shouts

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-tactics-training/84636-might-magic%99-raikan007.html

Hey, what is your match preparation ?

Nice..
Match preparation? Traning?
But in the past the wingers are the creative players who create goals..
While the CM fight for the ball. In modern football its the midfielder in the center of the park doing that

AFC125 Nicely put the game is so different now that why you see teams playing 3 CM and this 4-2-3-1 formations.

On the topic of match preparation, I always use the same, for pre-season i use Teamwork and high workload. then during the season i would use defensive positioning or attacking movement depending on your teams stature. I have these two tactics currently and an AC Milan styled 4-1-2-1-2, which will be my next thread...

With Training I will also be making a new thread, as I create training schedules to suit my tactics. Eg. I would combine Advanced Playmakers with Trequartista and Deep Lying Forwards, all have the same training schedule, and CB train with my ball winning midfielders etc...

What sort of possesion percentage and CCC's are these creating? I need a 442 option for my San Marion Team and theres these two and the total football one at the min up for d/l

What sort of possesion percentage and CCC's are these creating? I need a 442 option for my San Marion Team and theres these two and the total football one at the min up for d/l

Hi there, well i play particular touchline shouts like i said before...

Home:
Pass into space, work ball into box, get ball forward and hassle opponents

Away: Pass to Feet, Work ball into box, retain possession and hassle opponents

I would recommend the United Style for greater possession but for goal scoring chances i would go with the Arsenal set up, that how i interpret them on my saves... the instructions stay the same for both tactics...

I am currently going through some analysis... this is also my first attempt to create a tactical download with explanations and help... so bare with me... , my next thread AC MILAN's and ANCELOTTI's 4-1-2-1-2 is going to be more detailed and consist of full tactical analysis...

Cheers, my San Marino team, costing me exaclty £0 in transfers has gone unbeaten using the home and away shouts on the Invicibles tactic, only thing i change was the corner routine. Scored 105 and conceded 22 in 32 games so far...

Cheers, my San Marino team, costing me exaclty £0 in transfers has gone unbeaten using the home and away shouts on the Invicibles tactic, only thing i change was the corner routine. Scored 105 and conceded 22 in 32 games so far...

I didn't think to do any of the set pieces, I'm not too good at them, so I normally just leave it to the defaults...

do you leave the playmakers and target men as it is? or do you untick them? cheers looks very interesting would you suggest the Invincibles at home and Utd tactic away?

do you leave the playmakers and target men as it is? or do you untick them? cheers looks very interesting would you suggest the Invincibles at home and Utd tactic away?

In general I use the arsenal tactic, united's is more suited to a particular style of player eg. Beckham styled player in blue sq, league 1+2 is hard to come by, as i play with staines. also, yeah I wouldn't change the playmaker or the target man settings... the united tactic should have the MCR set as the playmaker, eg. Paul Scholes!!!!

Last edited:
hello... just wonder how would you set up this team? View attachment 229950

and what transfers should i look for??

thanks in advice
can you attach your save so i can have a proper look, i just don't understand your language on the game and i don't recognise some of the players? also are you wanting a completely new tactic, or do you have a style in mind? 442, 433, 451 etc??

okey... i just want a good 4-5-1 or 4-2-2-2 wingers... okey i upload my save... but were?