Takeovers - The truth.

What are your dealings with consortium takeovers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fatshit

Banned
Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am Paolo Di Canio in my Charlton Athletic save game. My first season has been going reasonably well on the pitch. I am 2nd after 26 games with 17 wins, 5 draws and 4 losses. I am 8 points between league leaders MKDons who haven't lost all season. The board is on the high end of satisfied with my progress. I have progressed well in the FA Cup and I am still in it as well as winning the Johnstone's south paint trophy. I have brought in many great players such as Vieri, Pollitt, Mifsud, Sturridge just to name a few and I have never overspent on wage or transfer budget. I have a huge gap in wage budget where I have saved cash. The club was in dire debt before I arrived.

Despite the fact I have released several players to balance the books at the clubs the debt has deepened unstoppably. The Chairman said he wanted to step down because of lack of funds and he said another board member could possibly take the reigns of the club. However in recent weeks a consortium including a former player has been rumoured to take over. Then whilst talks happened in my first January transfer window a transfer embargo was put in place and I was feeling optimistic of the future of the club and its debts. However now the consortium led by ex-Paris Saint Germain director of football Charles Villeneuve have announced that if they are succesful they will introduce blood Phil Parkinson of all people as manager in my place. Do I have a chance to avoid the chop?! Has anything similar happened to you?! Please help me out. I have searched the site but have not found a thread with this content. Please tell me your dealings with consortiums in the past. Thanks; I really appreciate it and want to know my options of avoiding the job centre. :(

PLEASE POST - IT IS REALLY APPRECIATED. :)

Last edited:
I have usually found that these forms of takeover fall apart when another manager is linked but anytime these have happened I have never been sacked. In saying that I've only had 6 successful takeovers before.

I have usually found that these forms of takeover fall apart when another manager is linked but anytime these have happened I have never been sacked. In saying that I've only had 6 successful takeovers before.

That's a lot!! - I'm a takeover virgin.

In 09 when I was Huddersfield, I came top and got promoted to the championship, someone else took over my club and I was very very close to being sacked, I didn't though. Don't worry you probably won't get sacked, if you do then join a club in their league and look forward to thrashing them ;)

The gayest thing is I turned down the premiership job with Birmingham because of my loyalty to Charlton. Hurr!!!

i started with newcastle on fm10 and 7 month in it was reported that fat mike ashley was to step down and the new italian owners were looking to bring in alan shearer, i carried on with the game as i was in good form and i was certain i would be looking for another job but about a month after the takeover the chairman came out and said that i was to carry on as manager due to the clubs good form..... this said im sure you will be alright if your form continues
hope this helps
NUFC keep the faith

i was given the boot by aldershot, they replaced me with john barnes, i almost cried

In my experience (and the option I voted for) there is always the rumour that you'll get the sack following a takeover, but ultimately unless you're doing a terrible job they keep you on. It'll probably say 'after consideration the board have decided to let you remain as the manager' - or words to that effect.
You say you're second and what with all the good work you've put in with the debts issues, and of course your proven loyalty, they'd be FOOLS to let you go!

i was juve and about 4 seasons in linvoy primus was rumoured to take over and if he did he wud appoint dellio rossi as my successor in the end he didnt due too be being popular with players and a fan favourite
so it can go either way really

I was West Ham 1st season in fm10 first bid failed then another guy came in and took over and he gave me 67 mil for my budget 2nd season he spends like mad got new facilities and a new stadium in 2 years :D

I've never had a sugar daddy taking over. Always a promotion from the board. Does anyone know if unticking 'valid takeovers only' in the preferences would change this?

I've never had a sugar daddy taking over. Always a promotion from the board. Does anyone know if unticking 'valid takeovers only' in the preferences would change this?

i have never seen that setting so leave it as default its just down to luck

i had a takeover before, and they said they were going to replace me if it was successful. but after the successful takeover, the new chairman said he was surprised to see i had forged a good relationship with the backroom staff and allowed me to stay

I have been taken over about 5 times, only one of them was by a consortium, while i was Newcastle manager in 2013/14, and they said they would bring in Big Al! but I was top of the league so they didnt and gave me a chance and now i have the full backing of the board on that game.

With my other take overs, its normally by a fans group, so they havent got much money anyway, and never have I had any problems when they have taken over, also giving me 10mill or more in the next transfer window.

Hope this helps. If your doing well in your club, they will find it hard to sack you! :)

I have been taken over about 5 times, only one of them was by a consortium, while i was Newcastle manager in 2013/14, and they said they would bring in Big Al! but I was top of the league so they didnt and gave me a chance and now i have the full backing of the board on that game.

With my other take overs, its normally by a fans group, so they havent got much money anyway, and never have I had any problems when they have taken over, also giving me 10mill or more in the next transfer window.

Hope this helps. If your doing well in your club, they will find it hard to sack you! :)

Not in the case of poor Mark Hughes. :(

I wouldn't worry too much... you're doing a good job and even if you do get taken over, there are rumours about a new manager being put in place but if you carry on doing well, you will keep your job.

it's very rare that you actually get replaced, just watch your step around the new board when and if they take over ;)

Well Charles and his merry men have seized control. :p
He was going to sack me for Phil Parkinson but he recently took the Reading job. Apparently to sort out the financial mess the club is in he will inject £3.2M which will make a great difference. New transfer budgets are afoot apparently. Who knows if I will stay permanently. I hope so.
Oh yeah and in a wild fit of rage he decided to sever the clubs Valencia link.
:( Most of the board is french. :O

DiCanioPaolo-2.png

DiCanioPaolo.png