Advice on Buying a New Laptop......

ChrisDCFC

Reaction score
Quick question for anybody who knows their stuff when it comes to laptops.

I'm looking for a new laptop mainly to play online games and to run football manager on a high spec. My current laptop does play FM ok but with one league loaded and a small database the best performance rating I get is 3 stars and a computer rating of half a star!! Have came across this one and need an expert opinion if it's worth it...

Dell XPS 15

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

15.6"(40 cm) HD WLED TL (1366x768) 720p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

4096MB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive

500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

6-cell 56Whr Lithium Ion battery

1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M Graphics Card

Any opinions are welcome :)

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Meant to add this is what I am using at the moment

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
RAM 2 GB
Processor Pentium Dual Core T2310, clocked at 1.46 Ghz
Hard drive 120 GB
Video Card Intel GMA X3100 graphics card
Monitor 15.4" WXGA TFT screen
TruBrite
Optical Disk Reader SuperMulti dual-layer DVD writer

What online games do you want to play? And how high detail? Looks good for what you want, **** of an upgrade on what you have.

Would like to get into WOW and a game called Combat Arms that my mate play. Really it would be playing FM on a high speed for a change :p

Well for speed id go for something a bit more. The i5 is great but have you looked around for an i7 with run speeds of about 3.5-4ghz
Also if possible look for maybe 6gb ram. Really fast.
The graphics card is decent though and will run most games in low frame rate.

Highly reccomend getting more Ram as new games will demand it soon.
I have 6gb and i can sim a season with 20 leagues in about 30-40 mins :)

Also what kind of price range?

The one I was looking at is £600 which is my budget unfortunately and an i7 would take me well over. Compared to what I have would I notice a difference in speed? It's about £60 quid for an upgrade of to 6gb Ram.

Also noticed one of the online games I wanted to get into DC Universe has these requirements

System Requirements
Processor: P4 3.0GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 1GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 30 GB of Free Hard Drive Space
Video: NVIDIA 7800GTX+ or ATI 1950+ Video Card
Audio: on Board

Am I right in saying I wouldn't be able to run this on that laptop?

Have you looked at those Alienware ones off Dell's website? They look brilliant! Would be perfect for you!

Edit: Just saw your budget.

Yeah Callum was initially looking at the mx11 as it was the only one within budget but was put off with the screen size and the lack of a dvd drive

Alienware is good, but seriously expensive.

General rule of thumb is to get as much RAM as you can, you can never have too much of the stuff. An i5 should work just fine, don't know whether an i7 would be worth it for the extra dosh.

Is it necessary to be a laptop as well? A desktop would be cheaper for the same performance and a desktop is much easier to modify over time.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

Alienware is good, but seriously expensive.

General rule of thumb is to get as much RAM as you can, you can never have too much of the stuff. An i5 should work just fine, don't know whether an i7 would be worth it for the extra dosh.

You buy an alienware because they look shmexy, brah.

Thanks Godcubed. Yes Joel a laptop is my only option as the missus doesn't want me clogging up room in our flat ;)

So the general thinking is the one I'm looking at should do the job?

If there are Harvey Norman shops in England look there. I got a serious spec for €650 which is about £575.

Thanks Godcubed. Yes Joel a laptop is my only option as the missus doesn't want me clogging up room in our flat ;)

So the general thinking is the one I'm looking at should do the job?

Yes the laptop will do fine. Enjoy it. :)

thought i would post here to save making a new thread.
looking for a new laptop for uni and got a budget of £400 and wondering which one would be best as i cant decide on the 2 below. needs to be suitable for a bit of fm but dont play any other games.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
£356(slightly used but as new)
Intel Core i5-450M 2.40GHz processor,
4GB DDR3 memory,
a 500GB hard drive,
a DVD –Super Multi DL drive,
and 802.11 b/g/n Wi-fi. It runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Zoostorm Laptop - Laptops | Ebuyer.com
£400
IntelCore Sandybridge i3-2310M 2.1GHz
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
15.6"HD LED
DVD Writer
Webcam
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

or another online for similar price....

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

anyone???