alla Pep Guardiola [4-6-0] - constant 80% possession, false 9, and many more!

dk2910

Reaction score
ALLA PEP GUARDIOLA 4-6-0

Possession may not win you every match, so as beautiful football. But when winning, possession and beautiful football are combined together, what more can you wish for? This is what this tactic all about..

The combination of winning and playing it beautifully is every manager's dream. Defensively solid, organized set pieces and clear cut chances are part of this tactic. The 4-6-0 tactic helps the team to be more creative with their passing and movement off the ball, every single move counts. If you're a Barcelona fans or at least you like this kind of football, then this is the right place for you. This tactic will not guarantee you to win every single matches as there is no tactic that can do so. But you will enjoy the experience of being Pep Guardiola once in a while.

However, this is not a tactic that you will use for lower leagues as this tactic demands great players. This tactic emulates the work of Pep Guardiola during his last year in FC Barcelona where he exploits the dynamics of Messi and using Cesc Fabregas as False 9. Below is the preview of this tactic, and what you can expect when downloading it. Enjoy.

THE TACTIC

View attachment 257801

Formation: 4-6-0
Match Preparation: Very High - Teamwork (pre-season), Average - Teamwork (rest of the season)
Pitch Size: Minimum
This is a classic tactic, you use your MC as your playmaker.

FABREGAS AS FALSE 9

View attachment 257807

View attachment 257811

The role that everyone is waiting for, the False 9. As we can see from the passes made by Cesc Fabregas, he was dropping deep although he plays as an attacking midfield. He also involved in the build up of the attack upfront. I have several videos of Fabregas playing as a False 9 but haven't got the time to upload it. I will try to upload it soon, but if you download this tactic, you will experience the False 9 by yourself.

XAVI THE PASS MASTER

View attachment 257812

View attachment 257813

View attachment 257814

View attachment 257815

What more can I say about this guy? He was the brain of Barcelona and Spain, without him there will be no trophies. The maestro of the midfield and controller of the tempo. He spreads the ball all over the pitch and runs more than anyone else. That's Xavi.

THE GENIUS OF INIESTA

View attachment 257816

The best Spanish player of all time? Iniesta is everywhere! He dribbles, beats his man, plays one-twos, making great runs, passing the ball and making the flow. The most complete attacking midfielder. Ever. In this tactic, you will not see the 'Iniesta role' make as much passes as Xavi, but he is the creator of KEY PASSES. He provided the pass before the final pass. Simple and genius.

THE MESSI ROLE

View attachment 257821

Messi, Messi, Messi... The best player of all time and every managers' wishlist. What happened if you're a manager and have Messi on your team? If you're Pep Guardiola, you give him freedom and let him to touch the ball as many time as you can. The 'Messi role' is a bit like the False 9 but more advanced. He drops deep, gets the ball, beats 5 men, creating scoring chances for others and are involved in the built-up. There are no words that can be used to describe him. God.

ACTION ZONES

View attachment 257827

This is what you can expect from this tactic. You can see Messi is dropping deep to get the ball, Xavi and Iniesta is besides him to make spaces, Busquets helps the attack but is ready to run back if needed, David Villa stays wide to make the runs, Fabregas hallucinating the opposition defenders as a False 9, Dani Alves join the attack on the right side, Valdes as a sweeper keeper, Pique and Puyol controlling the ball from the half-way line and Abidal is very free with no-one marking him.

View attachment 257829

View attachment 257830

The average positions of the tactic. Like in real life, Dani Alves spends his time moving forward and backward across the field with the highest distance covered. You can also see that Busquets is ready to cover Alves and become a third defender besides Puyol and Pique.

SCORES, POSSESSION AND PASS COMPLETION

View attachment 257831

View attachment 257832

View attachment 257833

View attachment 257834

View attachment 257835

View attachment 257836

FIXTURES AND PLAYER STATS

View attachment 257837

View attachment 257838

I haven't finished the season yet, but this is my overall stats so far (January). I mainly use this tactic for home match. I have the away match tactic which is not finished yet, but i will pot it as soon as I finished it. This is not a tactic for lower league teams, this is a recreational tactic for you to enjoy. If you're interested with this tactic, you can download it from below. Remember, this tactic is still not perfect, you can tweak it yourself to make it better. Enjoy

Last edited:
it looks pretty good mate, nice job!

however, all the matches are against very weak opponents! against harder teams, Ajax/Real it struggles a bit.. 2:0, 2:1, 3:1 scorelines are quite common and this is not what Barca do really.. there are some very good results of course, but if you are Barca you should be winning most games 3-7:0 to be honest :)

The possession is good, but WAY TOO MUCH IN YOUR OWN HALF, its very, very, very easy to rack up passes in your own half and halfway, the crux of possession tactics, or should I say Barca specifically is that the passes are further up the field in the opponents half.. around the edge of the box!

Centre back is way too involved in passing, that amount should be with another CM instead.. this will help play the game further upfield as well!

Only 1 player is getting over 100 passes in the midfield, yet plays 1 key pass all game :)

I will definitely try it out just for fun, but try and increase the backline to sit on the halfway line and play the game in the opponents half :)

hey thanks for the feedback!

yes i know, sadly, the score is not that high :(, and i forgot to mention that i don't play the champions league match and CWC, i just use this to test for the home match in la liga. the first fixtures result is really ****, because my tactic is very unorthodox and takes time to get the players connected together. but overall, thanks for the feedback :D and yes there is still much that can be tweak, hope you enjoy! just for fun

One question, why does Iniesta have through balls rarely?

i think my only reason to give iniesta a rare through balls is because it functions better for the team. i've tried him with sometimes and often through balls but it didn't work that well. so i'm focusing him to run and create space and pass the ball into feet instead. i'll let xavi, messi and fabregas to put all the killer balls. i personally think that it's better for the team (with this tactic) :)

the passing focuses in midfield area, if you want more goals and passes upfront you need to put a striker, but this tactic does not focus on it. it focuses more on possession. in order to create scoring chances you must sacrifice your possession, but for this tactic i choose to sacrifice my scoring chances for possession :p

Last edited:
it looks pretty good mate, nice job!

however, all the matches are against very weak opponents! against harder teams, Ajax/Real it struggles a bit.. 2:0, 2:1, 3:1 scorelines are quite common and this is not what Barca do really.. there are some very good results of course, but if you are Barca you should be winning most games 3-7:0 to be honest :)

The possession is good, but WAY TOO MUCH IN YOUR OWN HALF, its very, very, very easy to rack up passes in your own half and halfway, the crux of possession tactics, or should I say Barca specifically is that the passes are further up the field in the opponents half.. around the edge of the box!

Centre back is way too involved in passing, that amount should be with another CM instead.. this will help play the game further upfield as well!

Only 1 player is getting over 100 passes in the midfield, yet plays 1 key pass all game :)

I will definitely try it out just for fun, but try and increase the backline to sit on the halfway line and play the game in the opponents half :)

Always the same comment Raikan :D

Though I gotta disagree with you on one thing, Barca doesnt play all the time right at the box area, infact its more like in 40 yards, where they tend to move the ball and then slowly progress forward till the space opens and the final blow is struck.
Defenders get fairly much of the ball in Barca, especially in those games where they are having more hard time to do thing upfield. The ME aint bright enough to play forward passes but when there aint holes and space to move forward, they must return the ball back to deep and see things again. Thats sad.

totally agree with you sir,

barcelona focuses more passing in midfield and the defenders are also involved in the build up

Barcelona Triangle passing.flv - YouTube

This kind of progress Ive been doing with my own Barca tactic:

View attachment 257866 View attachment 257867

yes just started it and looking forward to more challenging games. Had this tactic done couple weeks ago and in another save I scrapped already, won Arsenal 5 - 0 with it aswell. For me, I prefer more disciplined freedom for the boys so maybe U shud try it out?

wow it's great, surely gonna try it with more disciplined.
though i haven't played fm for about 2-3 months, but i have made 4-5 different tactics that i will post just for fun ^^)
but thanks for the advice, really appreciate it and surely gonna try it soon! cheers (6)

This is one of the latest results with a more disciplined approach, though IM overally disappointed that I wasnt able to convert more CCC's considering the amount of key passes. Also got to note that one of them got sent off early in the game. But I think its out of respect for dk2910 to post our results in this thread, these shud be posted to its own or maybe a thread which is already made..

View attachment 257886 View attachment 257887

@Gump
Yeah I agree but i won't be posting any results soon anyway because I still have a long way to go.

Just one question though, is it easier making a possession tactic with classic tactics or modern?

This is one of the latest results with a more disciplined approach, though IM overally disappointed that I wasnt able to convert more CCC's considering the amount of key passes. Also got to note that one of them got sent off early in the game. But I think its out of respect for dk2910 to post our results in this thread, these shud be posted to its own or maybe a thread which is already made..

View attachment 257886 View attachment 257887

hey no problem man ^^) post anything you like! this thread is for people who appreciates this kind of tactics :D

@Gump
Yeah I agree but i won't be posting any results soon anyway because I still have a long way to go.

Just one question though, is it easier making a possession tactic with classic tactics or modern?

i personally think that classic tactic is way more dominant compare to modern. you can make possession/counter and any other tactics more better. but it takes more time as it is very detail for each movement and setplays. but it just a personal opinion :)

i personally think that classic tactic is way more dominant compare to modern. you can make possession/counter and any other tactics more better. but it takes more time as it is very detail for each movement and setplays. but it just a personal opinion :)

Agree. Its not about Classic v Tactic Creator though, its about tweaking sliders and settings v Not doing so.

Looks really good on paper, would you mind testing with a weaker team and share the results. I am curently on 4 months work and I did not take any laptop so I am away from FM for awhile. However I am really interested in all 4-6-0 tactics.