ChippyLowe

Reaction score
Ok so i've had FM11 since pretty much release day now but I've never been able to make my own successful tactic, the defence is always shoddy or my attack isn't potent enough. I've just not been able to get a grip on the defensive-normal-attacking slider for player instructions and how to counter or even read threats given to me by an opponent.

Now though, I'd rather be helped to learn these things, particularly in time for FM12, rather than just use other people's tactics to bring me success, it's just not as sweet :p

Anyway, I'd like to play 4-5-1, with Bent as a lone striker, Think I'd have 2 centre mids sitting deep to make sure we're quite strong at the back considering I conceded nearly 50 league goals last season. My main problem is that I don't know how to set out my player or team instructions at all so any help would be much appreciated.

Heres my full first team squad and literally the best regen I think i've ever come across in one of my games. I'm gonna get Bent to tutor him, even though I think it's unlikely to really help him.

View attachment 195765 View attachment 195766 View attachment 195767

Cheers all!

If you want to play Bent as lone striker, you should have the 2 wingers as Inside Forward and put them on Support role duty. You need a very skillful wingers with high creativity, passing, flair, and decisions (if possible with Tries Killer Ball Often PPM). Bent is not really good in the air, so you should set his role to Poacher.

The 3 midfielders should be the basic Destroyer-Passer-Creator combination. Your Creator no doubt would be Fabian Delph, the Ball Winning Midfielder would be Toulalan, and Defensive Midfielder would be Sergio Busquets.

Your defenders would be Limited / Ball Playing combo and 2 Full-backs. I don't think you need much support on the flank since your wingers will be on Support duty. But if you feel the wingers need some support, just change them to Wing Back role.

I think your team is more suitable playing Defend-Counter style, so set the passing to More Direct. For Philosophy I prefer to put Rigid because I want to make sure my tactical instructions are followed. Set the playing style to Counter.

If you feel your defense is rather weak, try setting the marking to Zonal for the defenders and set the others to Man Mark. You want to make sure your defenders are not running away chasing the opposition players and get exposed in the back. I say Zonal because wingers and strikers in Premier League are mostly technically gifted and it is hard to use man mark on them for your defenders. Let your defensive midfielders to the job, it's much safer.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I will use the wing players as inside forwards, with Olsson on the left, probably cutting in less and N'Zogbia on the right cutting in a lot more, I'm going to use Bannan ahead of Delph due to his better creativity and passing, but Delph will no doubt be good back up. Thanks for tips on the marking too, will be sure to set them up like that

Plus, make sure your defenders are good in passing, because they have to build from the back. The main concept of Defend-Counter style is to invite the pressure to your own half and play long ball forward to counter, so make sure your defenders are good in controlling possession at the back and provide long balls to the attacking players. If you don't have any, you need Deep-Lying Playmaker role in the midfield instead of Advanced Playmaker. You need someone to collect ball from your defenders and supply the attackers.