Reaction score
I will be writing this like a news print showing what is happening, as I find those are easest to follow what is happening with occasional breaks to show what is happening in more detail.

But first...

I just wanted to give some background info on the game.

The Game starts in 2013/2014 season: the reason being that I am going to start the story on a game I have played a few years already.

Manager Profile Screenshot:

Barnsley.png

History Screenshot:

Barnsley2.png

Ok so you may be wondering a few things.

Why did I leave Juventus?

I hated the consortium that took over in my first season there, had an ultimatum over funds, they sacked me.

Trophies?

See below.

Why am I French?

Mistake when creating the game.

Best Signings?
1: Miralem Pjanic, out of favour, for £10 million
2: Michael Misfud, out of contract at start of game (Not the best player but at Gillingham he was extremely important for my first season)
3: Bruno Alves, £40 million, had good form (7.21) at Juventus, however I did not feel he was worth the £40 million, maybe £30 million would have been better with hindsight

Trophies:
Gillingham:
League 1 Champions (2010)
Championship Runner's Up (2011)
Juventus:
Serie A Champions (2012)
Italien Cup Winners (2012)
Euro Champions Cup Winners (2012)
Italian Super Cup (2012)
Serie A Champions (2013)
Italien Cup Winners (2013)
Euro Champions Cup Winners (2013)
European Super Cup (2013)

Who am I currently managing?

After the ultimatum at Juventus I quickly found a job at recently relegated Barnsley. I wanted to try and do what I did at Gillingham again and get Barnsley into the Premiership, this time completing it though.

Background into Jobs and Resignations.

Whilst at Gillingham I made a complete overhaul into squad and staff. Once finished the squad was completely renewed and looked like they could get a place just off the play offs. After a 3-0 victory over Swindon Town I started the campaign successfully, and was securely in first place early on.

By the end of the season I was being linked with Portsmouth and - I believe - Burnley, who just survived in the Premiership at the end of the season. I finished in first, 14 points above MK Dons as easy champions.

In the next season I sold the majority of the squad - for a huge amount of £2.4 million (which is a lot for Gillingham) - and brought in 21 players, only spending £250k. Some of the best signings included Kevin Kyle, Brynjaar Gunnarsson and Ritchie De Laet. As I feel that this was my most successful season in terms of transfers, here is the list:

Gillingham.png

At Gillingham I got them to the Play Off Final in my first season in the Championship - we lost to Wigan 1-0. In the second I was well into first place and by game 30 it would have taken some terrible form from us to dislodge us from our position. Around this time I got all the managerial posts speculation and soon was getting the offers at managerial posts such as Tottenham, Man Utd, Chelsea and - finally - Juventus: I rejected Tottenham because they were poor at that time, Chelsea and Man Utd because they had no funds yet a stretched squad of oldies. Juventus, however, offered lots of money in funds and for wages and had a good squad.

At Juventus I went on to win every single trophy I had been entered for, however they new consortium took over, stretched my funds tight, forced me to sell my best players (including Dzeko) and never put it back into the club. So I quit and the next day I signed for Barnsley, and this is where my story begins.

I'm not going to go into detail about my international career because they were all short and I resigned them quickly usually when I realised they were pointless and cut into my club career.

My Total Career earnings are £3.4 million.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

BBCSport.png

Jonathan Gillespie Announced as Barnsley Manager

Sport Pundits and football fans alike have been shocked as ex Juventus, Gillingham and Russia manager Jonathan Richard Gillespie was announced as Barnsley manager by Barnsley Chairman Patrick Cryne.

Cryne, along with Gillespie, will attend a Press Conference later today, however it is understood that Gillespie has already signed the contract and has spent the day at Oakfield, in Barnsley.

Jonathan Richard Gillespie, 51, recently resigned from post as Juventus Manager, recent reports claim that he quit over "lack of funds".

"I am overjoyed to be back in England"

Gillespie has not been in England since signing for Juventus in 2012 - apart from attending the odd Gillingham football match.

Just two days ago he was celebrating winning the Euro Champions Cup - the next day he resigned as Juventus manager.

Barnsley sacked manager Mark Robins after a less than fruitful season in the Championship. Mark Robins led the “Reds” the relegation from the Championship last season; at the start of last season Barnsley were given a Media Prediction of 5th and many expected them to be competing for the Premiership.

However after a poor start to the season and a lot of criticised signings during the Summer transfer window, they ran out the season in 46 place with 45 points.

New manager Jonathan Richard Gillespie has won 3 League Trophies, 7 Cup Trophies, including two European Champions Cup victories, and 10 Awards, including the 2012 French Manager of the Year Award – he has been commented to be the “brightest spark” in management at the moment.

Due to his busy schedule recently we have not been able to properly interview him however he has said that, "he wants to hit the ground running with a couple of good signing" and that "it's great to be back in England".

Gillespie has said that he will be looking to renew the squad and bring youth to the squad, whose average starting eleven last year was 32 years old.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

BBCSport.png

Gillespie - "We will be at Wembley"
27 May 2010

Gillespie said in an interview earlier today, as a follow up to his surprise hiring as Barnsley manager, that "[he] will get [Barnsley] to the Championship Play Off Final in two years".

He said that even though his focus is short term and that his main goal now is automatic promotion, he will be looking to get to the Play Off Final at Wembley next season and be pushing to get into the Premiership.

He said that "Anything is possible, in football."

He was hired as Barnsley Manager earlier today - in a move by Gillespie that has shocked Football Pundits.

"Barnsley have Potential"

He said that he must "rejuvenate the club and bring fresh faces, a young age and a new found feeling of optimism to the club".

However he went onto to say that the club "is well structured, well supported and has good facilities. [Barnsley] has potential."

He said the earlier today that he wanted to "hit the ground running."

"When I took over Gillingham in 2009 they had poorer facilities and players than what Barnsley have," he went on to say that, "however, Gillingham had youth and optimism, which I feel Barnsley have lost and don't have."

Gillespie enjoyed spells as a player at Gillingham, Aston Villa, Olympic Lyons, Inter Milan and Man Utd, as well as making 49 caps and 16 goals for France. He has enjoyed managerial spells at Gillingham, Juventus, Ireland U21s, Bosnian U21s and Russia, before coming to Barnsley.

His career move has surprised many.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

BBCSport.png

Gillespie Releases 9 Players
30 May 2010

Thompson O'Neil is part of the nine players to be released from Barnsley by new manager Jonathan Richard Gillespie.

Yesterday Gillespie said, in a Press Conference, that he wanted to "rejuvenate" the squad and "bring in fresh faces, [and] a young age".

The other 8 players are: Bobby Hassel, Jon Otsomobor, Kriss De Wree, Eric Cubilier, Ian Ashbee, David Preece, Simon Whaley and Jon Macken.

Thompson O'Neil, who has made over 105 appearances for Barnsley over the last 5 years, has become a regular in his defence centre position in the last few seasons.

Gillespie defended his decision by commenting on O'Neil's age, stating that "at 30 he would be one of the older players in the squad and that to keep him would be living the past and we need to look for the future."

"Sad to leave"

Gillespie said that "we met this morning an discussed his future at the club. We both agreed hat staying at the club would not be in either of our interests and that he is an experienced player and can look forward to first team football which would come rarely if he stayed.

O'Neil, who has been in talks with Celta this afternoon, stated that "I am sad to leave" and that "I have enjoyed his years at Barnsley and will be looking forward to new opportunities.

"I was looking forward to the opportunity to working with Gillespie, however I understand his decision and respect it.

"When a new manager comes in your neck is always on the line - especially if your contract runs out. He wants to bring in his own squad, I respect him for that."

Gillespie has made an impression already of cutting the "deadwood" from the club and bringing in fresh and young faces.

He said that you need to be looking at both "quality and quantity".

"There will be a lot of signings to come"

Gillespie has said the need for making new signings and getting in a fresh squad, he said that "the best managers have the best contacts, I believe that I have a lot of contacts.

"I am looking forward to the challenge of once again finding that bargain buy - the thing I haven't had to do since at Gillingham.

"I need youth in the squad."

Gillespie will be scouring the free markets over the next few days, looking to form a squad for the new season.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

BBCSport.png

Simeon Jackson, Ben Burgess and David Lebras sign for the "Reds"
13 June 2010

Gillespie today has announced the signing of 3 players, Simeon Jackson, for an undisclosed fee (reportedly £200k) and Ben Burgess for a from Blackpool and David Lebras from Preston North End on free transfers.

Gillespie unveiled the first of his signings as the "Reds" manager in a Press Conference, earlier today.

Ben Burgess and David Lebras have already moved to Barnsley, the Yorkshire Borough, and Simeon Jackson will have his move completed on the 1 July when the transfer windows open.

"First of Many"

Gillespie announced that these signings will be the "first of many" and said that there will be many more signings to come and that "there will be a complete overhaul at Barnsley".

Jackson and Lebras both played for Gillespie in the 2009/10 season in Gillespie's first season in management.

Lebras played 13 games under Gillespie and was extremely impressive under Gillespie, he said that "because me and Jonathan have been friends since my days at Gillingham, I have often been in contact with him. I got the phone call and expected it was just going to be one of our normal talks.

"Get the first train to Oakwell"

"I picked up the phone and we had a talk, we chatted about his new job.

"He then asked me to get the first train to Oakwell and he would meet me at the stadium.

"So I got a ticket for Oakwell and I asked him what it was about and we talked and I signed a contract.

"It took me by surprise."

Ben Burgess spent 7 seasons at Blackpool - making over 220 appearances and scoring 31 goals for the Seaside club.

He said it would be "a great refreshing start for me. I can't wait to get back into football."

Barnsley fans are still expectant and await the new players that will be brought into the club.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

BBCSport.png

Gillespie Raids Transfer Markets
21 June 2010

Gillespie today has announced the signings of no less than a huge 10 players.

The signings are: Koen Persoons (DMC), Ryan Fraughan (MC), Matt Taylor (DC), Don Cowie (AMC), Robi Marino (AMC),Tom Hately (DC), Dean Furman (MC), Tommy Smith (DC), Patrice Luzi (GK) and Kevin Bryne (DMC/MC).

No money was spent on all but three: Koen Persoons (£40k), Ryan Fraughan (£500k) and Patrice Luzi (£100k).

Most of the signings are around 25 and makes the average age of the squad just 26, four years younger than the old average age of the squad being 30.

Barnsley face their first friendly and the first test of Gillespie's squad against Bury in 3 weeks.

BBCSport.png

Gillespie Finishes Up in Transfer Markets
21 June 2010

Gillespie announced that he has brought in 3 players on a free during the transfer window.

Moses Swaibu, Gianluca Palmiteri and Jordan Houghton have signed contracts with Barnsley.

Palmiteri played for Languina, appearing 95 times for the Italian club, scoring 45 goals. The striker, 25, has been donned as a great prospect for the English club.

Swaibu, who played for Lincoln for the last two seasons, caused a stir at the League One club by rejecting contracts after impressive displays in the league. He was in talks with Barnsley and Gillespie for a week.

Jordan Houghton has been out of contract for a month. The 18 year old looks like a good prospect and will surely be a key player in the future for the Yorkshire club.

"No More Players

Gillespie has also signed four loanees till the end of the season.

Said Mahamba, Blackburn, Karis Vucki, Newcastle, Noa Dupuy, Hull City, and Jon Masden (West Ham) have all been brought in to bring in youth and build the squads depth over the season.

He said that these were to take the club to the "next level", to make sure that there would be "no bad results due to an injury crisis, there will always be a replacement."

He said that "especially in lower leagues to get depth into the squad is vital to success."

However he also said that there "will be no more players coming in."

Nice story, like stories starting when you already have a history. Keep up the good work!

Round up.

With the end to the pre season in 2013/14 I am pleased to announce that I have brought in a total of 20 players.

The problem at the moment is that I have actually already played a few games in the league before I started writing this so the dates are a bit off.

I was annoyed when I got here as that previous manager had sold Iain Hume for £4.5 million. Iain Hume is a fantastic player, in the game and real life and had an average rating of 7.02 over four seasons in the game in the championship, so it was sad to get here and have no chance to get to play him. Iain Hume's transfer money was also used to fund poor signings :'(

Here is a screen shot of the pre season transfers.

BarnsleyTransfers.png

I was a bit iffy over Fraughan.

Last time he was in league one, he had an average rating of 6.9 in 38 games so I am hoping he will come up big, even if his stats aren't the best.

Simeon Jackson usually will provide big in league one, he just has a tendency to waste open goals and easy shots.

Also, I forgot to mention, the lack of wingers and full backs.

Barnsley have terrible wingers and no full backs, last season this was their downfall. When I got here I wanted to try a tactic that was very odd, very uncommon and easily able to fail. So I want to try a 3-1-2-1-3 formation.

So my centre backs and forwards are the best part of the team. It could fail, so I attempted it first in the friendlies.

So the friendlies with the daring tactics.

Barnsley 3-0 Bury
Barnsley 2-1 Gillingham
Barnsley 3-2 Glenn Hoddle Academy
Barnsley 2-0 Newcastle
West Ham 2-1 Barnsley
Scunthorpe 1-2 Barnsley
Chesterfield 0-3 Barnsley
Cambridge 1-4 Barnsley
Oxford 1-1 Barnsley
QPR 2-1 Barnsley

So, how did they work.

For the first four games I tried the tactics, this was with a team that nearly every member of the Barnsley squad by the end of my transfers were part of.

The Gillingham and Newcastle results were my favourite of the friendly period, Gillingham as I got back at the team that never idolised me when I left, and they also signed Ian Holloway, they are at the top of the championship at the moment. Newcastle ended 5th in the Premiership last year and was a good game.

West Ham I wanted to try to see how a brick wall force in midfield would work, and used the wingers from last year to play on the wing and if it would work with better wingers. The 3-5-2 formation didn't work, our goal came from a corner and the wingers were fruitless against two reletavely poor full backs that West Ham have at this point in the game. Even though we are two leagues below West Ham, they are one of the poorer Premiership clubs and, as I said, have two poor full backs who are beatable,but due to the lack of play on the wings (they have a narrow pitch like ours so it was fitting) it did not work.

I went back to the formation for the last games and they went well. Despite a loss to QPR we put up a fight and the Premiership are very good at this point of the game.

Simeon Jackson scored 3 goals in 3 appearances during the friendlies.

Bring on the season league one.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

BBCSport.png

Reds Kick off Season

FraughanGoesforGoal.png

Fraughan goes close for goal​

The Reds fought out a close contest as Barnsley fought out against an inferior Exeter side.

Exeter 0-0 Barnsley

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

BBCSport.png

Reds Storm Accrington

SwaibuGoal.png

Swaibu Scores Wonder Goal

Accrington 1-4 Barnsley

Accrington are demoralised by Barnsley as they get kicked out of the League Cup.

Goal Scorers:

Accrington:
Wooten (45+3)
Barnsley:
Swaibu (24)
Marsden (40, 90+2)
Adam (66)

(Due to the tediousness of this task I will be just doing round ups from now on with more detail on favourite matches.)

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

10 games played and my Barnsley squad are looking promising.

My bet with the 3-1-2-1-3 formation is looking promising, with a good win to Preston, away.

BarnsleyResults1.png

A poor draw at the start of the season and worried me about my tactics, however I decided to stick with them and we are paying off with the youth side of the squad.

My best player so far was Anderson Silva. I was tempted to sell him due to his poor average rating last year, however he has come up big in league one and I think that this is his level to play at and that he will be here for the season. He has had an average rating of 7.2 despite his poor ratings. His speed and stamina is a highlight and is probably the player in the squad who will rarely get subbed as he never tires, it seems.

Jamil Adam, despite his poor average rating, had banged in 6 goals so far in the league and is the leagues fourth top scorer.

Simeon Jackson, despite his high average rating, has only score one in six, I think that they both are, however, working well in a trio with Marsdan and my concentration in strike force is influenced by my use of Vuckic as a "4th" striker in his AMC position.

But he has gotten himself injured, for 5-6 weeks, with a twisted ankle, so I will be using one of the older members of my squad, Merino, in his place.

After 8 games here is what the league looks like:

Leagueone1.png

You may be wondering what is happening at the Valley and Charlton. It looks like the Addicks have gone into a run of poor managers and after getting to the championship again they got relegated last season and have a very thin, poor squad, that would strugle in league two, not just league one.

They look like they will be relegated.

CharltonSquad.png

If you want to see where your club is then just ask and I will get the info you want.

Last edited:
20 players in one window for £250k? That must be some kind of a record? (6) Good luck with this. (H)

Ironically the bulk of that was spent on Dani Hernandez who was immediately loaned out, and sold at the end of the season, now he is much better and am tempted to sign him now, he has an average rating of 7.02 in serie B and my back up goalie, Jordon Houghton is 18 and I want him to get first team experience at a different club, which he won't get here, but need him to be back up.

great story. would you be able to show a screen dump of the premier league please??

This seasons teams and early results in the premiership are, mostly, unsurprising. There are few teams I am surprised with. A point to make is that Burnley are doing well, so far they have not actually gotten relegated

PremierLeague1.png

And here is last season, again no surprises apart from Gillingham

PremierLeague2.png

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

A quarter of the season is over. Barnsley have had a good run of results with some amazing results.

BarnsleyFixtures1.png

My favourite result was the 5-0 victory over Port Vale away, I have them in the FA Cup first round in January.

I also have made one final signing, a loan signing in centre back as they seem to be weak in strength, so I signed Wes Morgan.

WesMorgan.png

I want him to be on the bench for a few games, however he may come up big for when I play teams with big strikers.

On the other end of the pitch Ben Burgess is my joint third best goalscorer and his height and size has proved important to flatten the defence and is good to make runs, he has also had 5 assists.

Burgess.png

The team is working well, and even though the stats aren't that impressive on first sight, the players have their average rating past and present to prove their ability.

And we are, from that, easily in first. 6 Points off second place.

Leagueone2.png

Last edited:
Good read so far, keep it up mate.

BBCSport.png

"Burgess and Silva are Quality Players" - Gillespie
27 May 2010

Gillespie said today that "[Ben] Burgess and [Anderson] Silva are two quality players.

He said, in an interview today, that Barnsley were "happy to have two very experienced players", however also saying that "the younger players in the squad were still key to success".

Gillespie, who has had managerial stints at Juventus, Gillingham and Russia, said that they "were at the top of their games" and were "class players".

"We are going to keep Silva"

This statement has come at a time that Anderson Silva is expected to leave the club, after being asked what he thought the chances of keeping Silva, he responded by stating "you can never state whether you will manage to keep players on.

"It is unfair on Silva to say that he will stay, we have made it evident that, if he wishes, he will be able to get an extension.

"I will offer him a new contract at the end of the season."

Anderson has been extremely impressive for Barnsley so far this season, having made 14 appearances so far this season.

"I think promotion will help us keep him here"

Great story nice start and layout ! Will follow this future:)P)story :D

GL. I will follow when I can. Nice layout, and I like the idea of the game screenshots to add something to the read :)

Very nice, just try Centre Aligning it ;)

18 games have been played – and we still sit comfortably at the top of the table. I was given a fright when we had two or three games of poor, actually very poor, draws. One of these was against Charlton, which was a bit of an insult when their manager can barely get ten players together and I could cover a serious injury crisis.

BarnsleyResults2.png

I have signed one more player. The reason being is that is the next Johnston’s Paint Trophy fixture I want to test a version of the tactic that won me the EEC. A Counter Attack 4-2-2-2, however I will play it as a 3-2-2-3 or 3-1-2-2-2. It works, but you need amazing centre backs, which I have, and an impressive amount of skill at passing in the squad, which I feel I have. The new player is Rachid Hemdani.

RachidHamdi.png

His experience is what I wanted, and he had a small wage wanted. He has a very good amount of technical ability.

Now to the league. We are three points clear with a game in hand. It is still looking promising even after a poor few games.

Leagueone3.png

Sorry about the long time to update.

But I am going to the World Cup in a month or two in game with...

Guinea. A fast and young squad they do have some potential, they have recently (under me) got to the African Nations Quarter Final, however te group for the World Cup we are in holds Bosnia and Herz., France and Paraguay

I am also Gillingham manager for a second spell, after just over two hundred days I resigned to take the Gillingham job so Barnsley brought in David Laws. So you can see how awesome my squad are here is the standing of them from the start of the season, it was around game twenty I left and they are still in first.

Jobs.png

standings.png

Fixtures1.png

I had a good run of results towards the end of my reign at Oakwell, but Gillingham have a bit more money and they are my real life favourite club, so I will be hoping to take Gillingham to the Premiership and on to success.

Now to Gillingham.

I have already signed three players in the transfer window.

Transfers.png

Two of these players were, in fact, previous Gills player. Bannan and Jay were here as loan signings, Jay the last season at Priestfield for me in the Championship and had an average rating of 7.09 at the young age of 21, I believe. Bannan had three consecutive seasons at Gillingham under me and was extremely impressive at Gillingham. Both have Gillingham and me in their Favoured Squad/Personnel boxes so it wasn't hard to get them. I did spend a bit of money that the last manager got from me and an Arsenal manager, we both signed two youths for a large sum of money.

We have had a good run since I arrived at Gillingham, going from 6th and 7 points from second to second place. And an amazing FA Cup run.

Fixtures2.png

I would like to point you to the FA Cup Fifth round tie with West Ham, at home. It was very wet and a scrappy game with a red card on each side. We both were up to it but the wet and impressive goalkeeping was enough to ensure it was a victory for us.

We lost to Aston Villa though in the Sixth Round, but it was a very good run and looks promising.

Table1.png

You can see we are just about in second place but with a few nice games coming up.

Profile.png

Here's to, hopefully, promotion to the premiership I left Gillingham before I could succeed, and to a good (maybe) World Cup.