Barcelona vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Jack Fulham

Reaction score
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi is struggling to be fit for the Champions League quarter-final first leg tie against Shakhtar Donetsk.

Messi has a leg injury and was only used as a substitute in the 1-0 win at Villarreal on Saturday.

Shakhtar's ex-Barca defender Dmytro Chygrynskiy is hoping to recover from injury in
time to feature.

His defensive partner Olexandr Kucher is out but midfielder Fernandinho is fit after a seven-month layoff.

The Brazilian featured in Shakhtar's 3-1 win away to FC Ilichivets Mariupol on Friday. "Now I am ready to play all 90 minutes. In fact, the whole team are ready," said Fernandinho.

"It is the most important game for us because we have reached the quarter-finals for the first time," he added. "It would be perfect to score in Barcelona."

On Saturday, Barcelona's win over Villarreal in the league took them eight points clear of Real Madrid, who have all-but given up the chase for the title.

Barcelona forward David Villa has warned his team not to become complacent going into Wednesday's tie.

"When you come into a game after losing or drawing everyone knows you have to put it behind you and concentrate on the next match, but the same thing holds true if you've just won," said the Spain striker.

"Now we have to try and play well, win and get a good result for the second leg."

Villa, who became Spain's leading scorer when he grabbed his 45th and 46th goals against Czech Republic last month, has not scored for the three-time European Cup winners in six games.

"You always get a bit worried when you aren't scoring but you have to stay calm," the 29-year-old added.

"I know it's been a while since I scored, but the only way to put that behind me is to work hard in training and on the pitch."

Title favourites Barcelona were beaten 3-2 by Shakhtar at the Camp Nou in December 2008 before going on to win the final that year. They were also defeated by the Ukraine side in 2004 but beat them 1-0 in the 2009 Uefa Super Cup.

Channel: Skysports 2

Woooo go Shakhtar!!!

Messi started this game.. going for 2-0 Barca

Iniesta scores 1 nil Barca!

Lucky deflection though, poor Shak :(

Ahh, I really fancied Shak for this one! Shame about the deflection :(

Who the **** is the commentator for the Barca/Shakhtar game? "It's not a strong squad Barca's got."

Jesus christ...

So long as Shakhtar get an away goal here, they have a chance, as Barca don't travel brilliantly.

Who the **** is the commentator for the Barca/Shakhtar game? "It's not a strong squad Barca's got."

Jesus christ...

If there was a like button, this would be a perfect time, guy doesn't have a clue..

watching this over the chelsea - united game hope for a good game

prediction hopefully shacktar will come back for a draw 2-2

******* Luiz Adriano...

Shakhtar are getting chances though, that's good.

The celebration was better than the goal anyday.

Barca have completed 204 passes already to Shaktar's 66. That's what they do. WOW!