Best Goalkeeper From Before Our Time (Or at least most of us)

Best Goalkeeper from Before Our Time

• Ricardo Zamora (Spain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frantisek Planicka (Czech Republic)

• Amadeo Carrizo (Argentina)

• Total voters

BrutalZ

Reaction score
I am thinking of creating a legends database while on holiday break but I though it might be quite interesting to see some opinions on this. There is some info on each one if you're unclear. A poll to go with it as well:

Format:

Name; Nation ; Caps ; Nickname/Idiom
Stats
Clubs(Appearances)
Famous Quote

Lev Yashin ; USSR(Russia) ; 78 Caps ; The Black Spider

Reportedly made over 150 penalty saves in his whole career and kept over 480 clean sheets in about 812 career appearances. Practically invented the term "Sweeper Keeper" and holds 4 clean sheets at the world cup as well as 2 Best of the World Cup XI appearances. My personal favorite.

Dynamo Moscow 1949-1971(326)

“What kind of a goalkeeper is the one who is not tormented by the goal he has allowed? He must be tormented! And if he is calm, that means the end. No matter what he had in the past, he has no future.”

Gordon Banks; England; 73 Caps ; Safe as the Banks of England

Held a record for 7 straight clean sheets for England and is impressive with 35 clean sheets in 73 appearances for England, conceding 57. World Cup Hero and pulled off an 'impossible' save against legend Pele 1970

Chesterfield 1955-1959 (23) ; Leicester City 1959 - 1967 (293)

Updating...

Peter Shilton and Dino Zoff would be good to have in it.

Ok posted that before the poll went up.

Lev Yashin = My goalkeeping hero. Just for the number of penalties he saved and reflexes

Yashin, Zoff are amazing but for me Peter Schmeichel just because he's the one I've actually watched lol

Lev Yashin - Greatest ever. As much as I wanted to vote Banks for his 1966 heroics, I just had to say Yashin.

Lev Yashin all the way. Not far behind either Banks or Zoff

Lev Yashin. No-one comes close. (H)

What about THE CAT, Peter Bonetti :p

where is José René Higuita Zapata, he done the skorpion kick which was immense but frm the list i would have to say gordon banks

I'm only 18, so I grew up watching the likes of Peter Schmeichel, David Seaman, Nigel Martyn etc. So I voted Schmeichel purely because he was the best.

This looks to be between Yashin and Smeichel. I'd put Yashin in the team and Banks as backup. Schmeichel is probably getting the votes because he isn't quite before our time and most of us have seen him play.

No doubt all these Keepers are some of the best ever, but i don't see how people can say their amazing when they've never actually seen them play. And im not talking about videos on youtube, that can make Marlon Harewood look like the worlds best player.

I voted for Peter Schmeichel, purely because he's the only one on that list that i've seen play.

No doubt all these Keepers are some of the best ever, but i don't see how people can say their amazing when they've never actually seen them play. And im not talking about videos on youtube, that can make Marlon Harewood look like the worlds best player.

I voted for Peter Schmeichel, purely because he's the only one on that list that i've seen play.

Most of these players i have seen on family recordings from years back. I have full length matches on quite a few of these players, and im sure im not the only one.