Jonty

Reaction score
The following story is my attempt at an FM Story which is quite narrative based and has a hefty amount of back story. I'll be blending the monthly updates idea with a personal story. If you don't like a lot of "guff" and reading this might not be for you. Anyway...here it goes and I hope you enjoy.

Blue For You
An Everton Story

View attachment 258191View attachment 258192

“Come on son, you can do better than that”. Those were the words I heard throughout most of my childhood. My father was a football coach. Not famous, but well respected in the community and he lived and breathed football. His team was Formby FC, which was the town I grew up in and the team that I played for. People probably thought I was in the team because of my family ties, but the truth is I had to work just as hard as anyone when it came to trial day. Father was passionate about the game, and he wanted me to succeed at it. I gave my all at every match and training session and I'd help coach the youth team every now and then. It was never enough though, never enough to impress dad. I was a left back and had shaped my game around David Unsworth. Everton FC were me and my fathers team, and there was something about the hard work that David gave in every match that inspired me.

At the age of 24 I was captain of Formby and trying my best to get the community interested in local and grassroots football. Our youth squad was creating some good talent and our position in the league was ever improving. Everything seemed on the up and my father had finally come to respect me as a footballer and a man. Talk about father issues. The season wasn't all good though. In December my father fell ill. He'd sliced his finger open badly and it had got infected. This lead to him being hospitalised for months with septicaemia. During this time, I was asked to caretake the team and thought it was a big undertaking I accepted. I suppose this is where my football journey really began.

We were runners up in the league that season, and our reserves won the local cup. I'd tried to keep my father's philosophy and playing style intact, however I felt the need to implement my own ideas in to the team.

==============================================================================================

“What the **** is a Wingback!?”, shouted my father, waking up the man in the bed next to him.

“You know dad, a full back but with more opportunity to attack. More advanced role”, I replied.

“We're not playing the Premier League, son. At our level, good old fashioned hard work and good old fashioned tactics work best”.

“I'm not sure dad, football has changed...at every level. One of the young lads would really suit the role and besides we need all the attacking threat we can get on the left now Clifford has gone”.

“What do you mean, “Clifford has gone?”

“We sold him dad, remember? Marine came knocking for him, how could we turn the money down?”

“Of course, of course...Sorry son, I've not been myself lately.”

“No, you've been oddly supportive”

“*******...”

==============================================================================================

My dad returned for the following season, fit as ever and decided to make me his number two. I'd taken a liking to coaching, so hung up my boots at the age of 25. Our blend of modern and traditional footballing ideas worked a treat and we stormed up the league and went on to win it, losing only 4 games. Our exploits at this level caught the attention of the local media and other teams and soon we had our youth players being bought by teams further up the leagues. Our brightest young player moving on to Tranmere, a certain wingback.

At the age of 26 something unexpected happened, I got a call from Everton FC, my childhood dream. They offered me a place on their coaching course, I would become qualified and gain experience...a bit like an apprenticeship. I snapped at the chance obviously and my father could not of been happier.

I completed the courses with relative ease, and my love of the game grew every year I was learning and coaching. When I was 29, I was qualified and had got some experience coaching at Tranmere, Marine and Preston, mainly within the youth squads. Things were going well, and they only improved when Everton offered me a full time coaching role for the first team. It was the 2009/10 season, and David Moyes had got the team to Wembley for the F.A Cup final. My father was in the stands, and there I was in the dug out writing down notes for David. As I'm sure you're aware, we lost the game...but the experience was fantastic and the team went from strength to strength under the shrewd Scot.

So now, its June 2012...and Moyes' future is uncertain...Tottenham have come calling.

Last edited:
Chapter 1 Continued

“Hi Jon, it's Maria”, said the voice from the telephone.

“Morning, what's up?”
Maria was one of the administrators at Goodison and a good friend, she sounded concerned.
“David's gone to Tottenham Jon, he resigned this morning.”
“...Oh...wow...I mean...okay”
“Yup, there he was revealing Naismith yesterday...now he's gone”
“Okay, well should I come in?”
“Thats why I'm calling you, the board want a chat”.
“I'll be there in an hour”.

I got to Goodison at 1pm and was in the board room not long after. I was expecting the whole coaching staff there...but no...just me, Bill and the other board members.

“Morning Jon, I suppose you've heard the news?”, asked Bill
“Yeah. Can't believe it actually, what happened?”, I replied
“Football happened. It's the way it goes. 10 months...10 Years...one day they move on”.
“I guess...so...what's going on?”
“Well Jon, we're without a manager! Transfer market opens soon, and we've managed to get some funds together...maybe some more investment coming too. So let me ask you...got any targets in mind?”
“Erm...I've got lists of players who have been scouted....I was in South Africa only last week looking at a few lads.”

Bill's eyes narrowed for a moment and then slowly lightened and he smiled.

“Sure, that's great. But what I'm asking is...do you want the Job?”

I was floored. Had the board lost their mind? After some umming and erring I spoke up.

“What about Steve? He's surely...”
“Well we could ask him if...”

What was I doing, I couldn't let this opportunity pass me by.

“No...I mean...yes. Yes. I'll take the job.”
“Fantastic. Now, lets get down to business”.

I hadn't even sat down.

Everton Hire Bishop as Manager

Everton have promoted coach Jonathan Bishop to manage the team for the upcoming season. In a short press conference, Bishop spoke of his delight of the opportunity and promised to work hard to win over any doubting fans. Bill Kenright noted that they had chosen to promote from within as they wanted to keep the strong squad harmony within the club. When pressed on how much change Bishop would be bringing to the club, he replied that he wanted to blend modern day footballing philosophy with good old fashioned hard work.

Along with David Moyes, Steve Round has also chosen to left his position and Goodison Park and transfer to White Hart Lane.

The press conference had gone well. I'd been nervous but managed to keep my cool and it was good to know that the Chairman was backing me. The reaction from the players had been good and it was time to put my own stamp on the team.

Transfers and Pre-season

The board had given me a bit of money to spend in the transfer market, but they insisted on no extravagant buys. "Improve the squad, but make sure they are Everton players" was the brief. I had a wealth of targets in mind, but first we need creativity.

Sejad Sailhovic - Hoffenheim - £5 Million

View attachment 258294

We had missed Arteta's creative influence for a large chunk of the previous season, and that needed to be sorted out. Sejad will hopefully be a suitable candidate. He has the creativity, passing and flair to keep our attack ticking.

Scott Sinclair- Swansea- £7 Million

View attachment 258295

Scott was integral to Swansea's debut season in the Premier League and was player that impressed me. We're a bit lacking on the wings, and even though £7 Million was steep he's a player I'm comfortable gambling on.

Andlie Jali- Orlando Pirates- £625k

View attachment 258296

One of the two players I had gone to see in South Africa. A young, tireless midfielder who is comfortable in a central or defensive role. He'll be trying to break in to the team this year, no doubt.

Siphiwie Tshabalala- Kaizer Chiefs- 450k

View attachment 258297

And the other South African, Siphwi Tshabalala

A solid winger, with some pace to boot. He and Sinclair will be competing for the wide positions. He can also play behind the striker if need be.

Outgoing Transfers

We had two leave us. Joseph Yobo moved to Malaga and Victor Anichebe moved to Wigan Athletic. Conor McAleny is on loan at Walsall.

View attachment 258289

Preseason Soon....

Last edited:
Pre-season

View attachment 258356

Everton
2 v Everton (CHI)
Marouane Fellaini, Darron Gibson

Everton 0 v LOSC Lille Metropole 0

Everton
2 v Preston 0
Scott Sinclair, Daniel Devine OG

Everton
0 v Falkirk 4
Tim Cahill (2), Steven Naismith, Marouane Fellaini

Glentoran
1 v Everton 3
Steven Naismith, Nikica Jelavic (2)

AA Gent
1 v Everton 3
Jos Hermans OG, Stephan Collard OG, Cezar Azro OG

After securing the contracts for the transfer targets, it was time to get to work. Our preseason fixtures were a mixed bag. I had a good idea in my head which games would give us the greatest challenge, overall I was looking forward to it. The first game against went very well, and our midfield stole the show with Gibson and Felli getting a goal each. Preseason games against the Everton Chilie team will hopefully be an annual event.

Our game against Lille was tough, and it ended with a 0-0 draw. We managed to boss the midfield and maintained a hefty amount of possession. Things were looking good. Scott Sinclair's cracking goal against Preston was worth the 7 Million and he continued to impress throughout all of preseason. We dominated our last three games, scoring easily and from a wide variety of players. Our final game against Gent was bizzare, three own goals.

The team got home from Belgium in the early morning after the Gent match and i sent the players home for a two day rest. On the taxi ride home, I got a call from my dad.

"'ello son, how are things?"
"Alright Pa, things are fine. Strange game today, we won 3-0 without scoring a goal"
"Well let's hope that look continues through the season. Formby drew 2-2 today with Bootle"
"Great, those new signings doing well then?"

We spoke for the rest of the ride home. When I finally arrived I collapsed on the couch and began to think. Everything had gone so fast. One minute I was coaching a local football team, the next thing I'm flying around Europe taking a premiership team on the preseason tour. The premier league kicked off in seven days. This time last year I would of been excited to see our new players play, and maybe pop down the pub for a pint with my dad to watch the game. Next week I'll be in the dug out.

Last edited:
Fixtures and Results

Saturday the 13th of August. My first competitive game in charge. It was against QPR and doubts were flooding my head. The team had taken to me, preseason was good and training was solid but I still couldn't shake the feeling that I was way out of my depth. Z-Cars blasted throughout Goodison and a tingle ran down my spine. The boys made their way up the steps and on to the field and the crowd began cheering and clapping. I followed them up on to the pitch and greeted the fans with a few waves. They kept cheering, i'd past that test at least. We still had no assistant manager, so Phil Neville was stood besides me as a short term replacement. And then the whistle blew.

Everton
2 v QPR 0
Sylvain Distin, Sejad Sailovic

We dominated the game, passes were connecting well and we pressed well throughout. On the 14th minute we had a corner, Sailovic swung it in and Distin met the ball with a powerful header. I clenched my fist and punched the air, I couldn't of asked for a better start. 59 minutes in Sailhovic was standing over the ball for a free kick. It was a glorious goal, it curved beautifully and nestled in the top corner. We continued to dominate and at full time I was ecstatic.

Watford 0 v Everton 2
Nikica Jelavic (2)
League Cup

Another solid game, we dominated throughout. 2 killer through balls by Fellaini and Sinclair gave us a two nil lead after just 18 minutes. The players saw it out well.

Everton 1 v Tottenham 2
Nikica Jelavic
Aaron Lennon, Luca Modric

Of course Tottenham won. Moyes was there, it was written in the sand they would beat us. We matched them well though. Jelly got himself another goal and Sinclair got the assist. We lost it in the 91st minute by a beauty of goal by Modric.

Newcastle
1 v Everton 0
Steven Taylor

We got thrashed. They had most of the ball throughout and their goal came from a corner that we defended poorly.

Everton 4v Fulham 2
Ross Barkley, Steven Naismith (2), Nikica Jelavic
Andy Johnson, Clint Dempsey

The boys bounced back from the two defeats to beat Fulham. Fellaini and Sailovic controlled the midfield and it was good to see young Ross Barkley get his first goal. Jelavic stole the show however with a cheeky lobbed goal. Defensively we were a bit lacking, Baines was out injured but we manged to see it through.

Everton 3 v Portsmouth 0
Coleman, Distin, Jelavic

After a bit of a wobble in the League, I was hoping for a good performance from the lads in the cup game. We needed to get a good run going. The players delivered. Magaye Gueye assisted Seamus Coleman with a great cross, both who had just come back from injury. Another deadly corner by Sailovic was met by Distin and Jelavic scored another fantastic lobbed goal and as an integral part of the work up play.

So overall, it was a mixed bag of results but ultimately a good month. The players were working hard and scoring some great goals. The doubts that I had were beginning to fade, things were looking good. I do need an Assistant Manager though...

Player of the Month
Nikica Jelavic

tIdNz.jpg

A great month for the Striker, he's on good form and has scored some cracking goals. Congratulations!

Last edited:
October Fixtures and Results

So we'd had a pretty good start. Scoring well and controlling the possession through most of our games. After the Portsmouth game Bill invited me to a meeting, we needed an Assistant Manager.

"So we could bring Irvine back up, he's had experience and the players like him. I think he'd be a good choice"
"He's a good choice no doubt, but there's someone I've been considering..."
"Oh? Who would that be?"
"My father. He gave me my footballing knowledge, he's a lifelong Evertonian and he's a big fan of hard work. He'd be perfect".

As you might guess, Bill wasn't exactly loving the idea and I didn't blame him. He'd never met the man, and I could be picking him for the wrong reasons. However after some time and a lot of convincing, we agreed to it and I called my dad. His reaction was memorable, he was laughing, crying and shouting and of course he accepted. He came to the next training session and quickly won over the squad with his attitude. The ultimate professional. After the usual drills, my dad took the youth team off to another pitch and got a game going. While I was stood watching from afar someone came and stood next to me.

"How's it going boss?"
"Hello Felli, fine thanks. Training okay, today? Feeling good?"
"Yes. The new assistant is a real task master...but its good...yes"
"Good to hear. Let's hope it pays off tomorrow"

Wolves 0 v
Everton 1
Marouane Fellaini

A solid win. We were sound defensively and our midfield outplayed Wolves' for the whole game. Fellaini picked up the ball in the Wolves half, surged forward and belted it into the back of the net. My dad jumped up in the air, ran over to me and gave me a hug. The Wolves' fans started to jeer.

Manchester United
3 v Everton 0
Wayne Rooney (2), Javier Hernandez

We didn't have our shooting boots on and it cost us dearly. We matched them in shots, and even won the battle for possession but just couldn't put any goals away and we were punished for it. Rooney was on fire.

West Brom 1 v Everton 2
Steven Naismith (2)
Tim Howard (og)

Another solid win punctured by a silly own goal by Howard. Usually a rock between the sticks, he fumbled and knocked it in to his net. Naismith showed his class running on to a neat ball by Tshabalala and passing it past the keeper. He also kept his nerve to convert from the spot.

Everton
2 v Blackburn 0
Steven Naismith, Siphwie Tshabalala

Played them off the park. They couldn't handle our crossing, and our goals were two simple tap ins. Looks like Naismith might be on a bit of a run, lets hope it lasts.

Birmingham
2 v Everton 3 (ET)
Nikica Jelavic (2), Sylvain Distin
Pablo Ibenez, Wade Elliot
League Cup

Great game for the neutrals, it had everything and it was a close affair. It took a strong performance by Jelly to get us on to the next stage and see off a very plucky Birmingham side.

Everton 1 v Swansea 0
Sylvain Distin

Dominated the game but once again weren't taking our chances. A classic Sailovic/Distin corner got us the win to end a very good month.

League Position
7th

Player of the Month
Steven Naismith

XUoVZ.jpg

His versatility really helped us this month. Top drawer performances from the Scot out wide, behind the striker and up top. Congratulations!

Last edited:
November Fixtures and Results

After a solid October, I was looking forward to the coming month. We were on the back of a 4 game winning streak and confidence was high. The new boys had settled in no problem and there was a healthy amount of competition for places in the first team.

Norwich
2 v Everton 0
Steve Morrison, James Vaughan

Not the start I had in mind. We battled well in midfield and controlled the midfield, but got split open by Norwich's counter attacking. Norwich deserved the win, they took their chances.

Everton
4 v Wigan 0
Phil Jagielka, Sylvian Distin, Steven Naismith, Magaye Gueye

That was more like it. Wigan just couldn't handle us. We got an early lead after two great corners and from then on we dominated the game.

Arsenal 4 v Everton 0
Robin Van Persie, Alex Song, Gervinho, Andre Ayew

We were destroyed by Arsenal. There passing was a joy to behold but just too much for us. We have been really struggling on our travels, some tactic tweaks will be needed.

Reading 0 v Everton 2
Magaye Gueye, Ross Barkley

Our league form might be a bit rocky at the moment but we are dominating in the league cup. Another confident performance by a youthful Everton team. The lads did great. Barkley and Magaye were the most impressive. They linked up well and assisted each other's goals.

League Position
6th

Player of the Month
Magaye Gueye

x8lUv.jpg

In a rather poor month, the youth squad have shined. Maggy has taken his chances in the first team and been very impressive. He was a cool customer in the league cup game, getting a goal and an assist.

Last edited:
December Fixtures and Results

Our next game was on the 3rd against Sunderland. The day before however, I arrived at Goodison for some general admin work and a few meetings. Walking in to the office, I saw Maria and her admin team working away.

"Morning guys", I said, "how are we all?".
"Hello Mr Bishop, fine thank you", replied one of the team members.
"No need to be so formal, Jon is fine", I spoke back

I walked on to my office and Maria trailed behind me and began to speak about today's business. She spoke quickly and too the point, she was good at her job. After some small talk, I sat in the my chair and checked my answer phone messages.

"Hello there Mr Bishop this is the Chelsea FC Admin team, we're interested in the services of one of your players. Maruoane Fellaini. With January's transfer window coming up, we'd like to start discussions with your chairmain. Please get back to us, thank you".

Well ****.

Everton 1 v Sunderland 1
Steven Naismith
Ahmed Elmohamady

Naismith got us of to a flyer with a tidy goal from Scott Sinclair's through ball. However from then we really couldn't get in to the game and they equalized just before half time. Overall a bore draw. Throughout the game, the Chelsea phone call was one my mind. Losing Victor and Yobo had been simple as they weren't really in my plans, but Felli was different. He's integral to the squad and a rock in midfield. It was going to be tough to keep people away though, we all knew he wanted European football.

Chelsea
2 v Everton 0
Didier Drogba, John Terry

Speaking of Chelsea, we just could match them at Stamford bridge. Terry and Drogba scored two cracking goals and their midfield outplayed ours. I wasn't expecting much out of it. Shame.

Everton
3 v Liverpool 1

Jack Rodwell, Shane Duffy, Nikica Jelavic
Dirk Kuyt

The day I'd been dreading. My first derby. This was going to be one **** of a game. If we won it then the fans would fall in love with me. If we lost...well...fans get passionate about football and have some colourful language.

It was a freezing day in Liverpool. On the ninth minute Suarez sent in a cross and BAM Kuyt dove on to the end of it and headed it home. I slumped in to my chair and cursed...come on lads...keep your heads up. After thirty more minutes we had dominated possession and things were looking better. We were linking up and it felt like a goal was coming our way. Boy did a goal come our way. Jelavic took it out wide and dinked the ball a few feet to Gueye. Gueye lobbed a few defenders for the ball to reach Naismith in the box. Naismith passed it out of the box towards Rodwell who rifled the ball home. Fantastic goal, one he wont forget.

At half time the lads were pumped, they were really up for the fight so I kept the team talk simple. Shane Duffy was playing. It was a big game for him and as he walked past me I patted him on the back.
"Show 'em what you've got"

Corner kick. Sinclair floats it in. Duffy is standing on the penalty spot. It lands perfectly for him and he smashes it with his right foot. I jumped for joy and my Dad ran to the edge of the technical area as the players ran past us, beaming.

Only a few minutes later we were on the counter again. Jelavic held the ball up well and passed it out wide to Gueye. Gueye ran down the left wing and floated a cross in. Jelavic ran on to it...and kept running...and ran it straight in to the box.

What a game.

Everton 1 v Bolton 3
Sejad Sailovic
David N'Gog, Mark Davies, Espen Ruud

Oh dear. We were terrible. After the great result at the derby I predicted a good run of results to come along...I was wrong.

Stoke
2 v Everton 0
Tony Hibbert (og)
Cameron Jerome

A classic Tony Hibbert own goal got stoke off to a flyer and Cameron Jerome settled it after half time. Poor game, poor performance all round.
Manchester City 3 v Everton 0
Samir Nasri, Edin Dzeko, Adam Johnson

We were destroyed once again. Confidence was rock bottom and our tactics seemed to be failing. I was worried so it was time for a team meeting. We booked a room at the Hilton conference room and got talking. Morale improved over the meeting, the squad were speaking their mind and giving advice to each other and ourselves. It was productive, and it seemed to have worked.
Aston Villa 0 v Everton 2
Nikica Jelavic, Magaye Gueye

We dominated throughout the game but were scuffing our shots. It was all too familiar...they would get a corner and bam, we'd be down. On 76 minutes however we got a free-kick and Jelly was standing over it. I was surprised Sailovic had let him take it...but it paid off. It was a beautiful floated free kick that really got us going. 10 minutes later we got our second goal, this time from a corner. Magaye headed it down and Given couldn't deal with it.

League Position
10th

Bad month. Bad performances, we needed to pick our heads up.

Player of the Month
Nikica Jelavic

esExA.jpg

He's not been so prolific this month, but he's been assisting well and his build up play has been fantastic. Second Player of the Month this season. Great player.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Sorry the updates arent too frequent, I'm graduating tomorrow so having a busy week.

Thanks again!

Okays guys. I've finally got free time, celebrating over. There will be some updates later tonight and then I'm going to get the season finished off by tomorrow. I've actually played it up in to the second season, so it will just be a case of writing it up. There's been some great twists and turns. See you soon.

January Fixtures and Results

After a poor December, I was hoping the new year would bring a change. We also managed to do a small bit of business by bringing in Arne Friedrich on a free who would be able to give a bit of cover for Neville and Hibbert. After some debate I chose to change our tactics, as my old ones had simply been figured out by other managers and we were becoming predictable. We shifted to a 433 with three strikers and a defensive midfielder, hoping it would bring some balance.

Bill had spoken to Chelsea about the future of Fellaini and stated flat out that he would not be leaving Everton. We kept the interest quiet and chose not to tell Maruoane about the interest in him. Maybe that was a mistake.

QPR 0 v Everton 1
Nikica Jelavic

We looked so much more comfortable in this match. We'd had to give up some possession, but we created more chances and Jelly finally put it away just before half time.

Everton 3 v Sheffield United 0
Nikica Jelavic (6, 19), Jack Rodwell
FA Cup

A good start to our FA Cup campaign. We dominated the match and restricted the Blades to only 3 shots. Solid performance.

Everton 4 v Bolton 0
Steven Naismith (23, 85), Apostolos Vellios
Nigel Reo Coker og
League Cup

Our League Cup campaign has been very strong. We controlled this match and Nigel Reo Coker lived up this reputation scored a beautiful own goal to seal the deal.

Everton 3 v Stoke 1
Nikica Jelavic (23, 83), Magaye Gueye
Matthew Etherington

Stoke destroyed us at the Britannia Stadium and I was worried that their set pieces would once again punish up. In training I got the lads to practice defending set pieces to get comfortable with the physicality of stoke.
It worked. We stiffled them, and they quickly ran out of options. Nikica Jelavic had a great game and was a nightmare for the Stoke defense.

Tottenham 1 v Everton 0
Luka Modric

Moyes strikes again! I feel like Moyes knows our players too well, and knows all their weaknesses and faults. Tottenham certainly brought out the worst in us. We gave up possession far too easy.

Bolton 0 v Everton 1
Steven Naismith
League Cup

Our second leg against Bolton didnt go exactly to plan. Sure we won it, but we didn't deserve it. We'd created such a big lead in the first leg, they players just couldn't get motivated. We scored an early goal and just managed to hand on, as they attacked us time and time again. However, we were off Wembley for a final. I could hardly wait.

Southampton
1 v Everton 4
Apostolos Vellios, Jose Baxter, Magaye Gueye (78, 87)
Jason Puncheon
FA Cup

I fielded a youthful strike force for the game to give some of the seniors a rest. It paid off, they played fantastically together. Magaye Gueye is going to be a real force to be reckoned with in the future.

Everton 5 v Newcastle 0
Sylvain Distin, Apostolos Vellios (42, 61, 77), Steven Naismith (Pen)

Great end to a great month. Vellios had a fantastic game, the young striker getting his first Hat-trick, he was mobile throughout and bullied the Newcastle defense over the 90 minutes.

League Position
7th

Much much better. Our cup campaigns are going strong, the lads really look up for winning some silverware. Lets hope.

Player of the Month
Apostolos Vellios

vTYOa.jpg

The young Greek has been in great form and its fantastic to see him get his first Hat-trick. Congratulations!

Last edited:
February Fixtures and Results

January had been busy but had created fantastic momentum. We were looking good on and off the ball. The players were tired, but hopefully we could have a good quiet February.

Fulham 1 v Everton 0
Brede Hangeland

Okay, not the start I had in mind. Before the match we all shared the confidence that we could dominate. However on the pitch it all fell apart. Fulham kept the ball well and humiliated us.

Everton 0 v Manchester United 1
Javier Hernandez

Hernandez scored in the first minute. Straight from the kick off. After that we just couldn't break them down. We were lucky to hold them off. It couldn't of been a shambles.

Everton
1 v Fulham 3
Phil Jagielka
Jelle Vossen, Jaob Poulsen, Aaron Hughes
FA Cup

Well thats the end of our FA Cup run. I'm very disappointed in the team. Not only because of this game, but our recent form has been horrific. We need to turn things around.

Everton 1 v Wolves 1
Roger Johnson og, Karl Henry

Well we got lucky there. We didn't have a shot on goal, but Roger Johnson manged to secure us a point with an own goal. Let off.

Nottingham Forest
v Everton
League Cup Final

The League Cup Final. I couldn't quite believe it. We'd play very well through the league cup campaign and it really seemed like we could get our hands on the cup. The day before, after training I approached Jose Baxter. A young promising striker who I felt had a real future at the squad.

"Jose, Can I have a minute?", I asked
"Sure thing, boss", he replied
"I'm going to cut to the chase. You're playing in the final tomorrow. Naismith wont be able to play, so you'll be leading the line with Jelavic and Gueye. Think you can do it?"
"Yes...yes of course boss. Thank you for having faith in me. I'll do my best"
"I know you will lad"

WELCOME TO WEMBLEY.
I watched the sign go past as I looked out the window of the coach. I'd managed to lead the lads to the League Cup final. I wasn't playing my strongest team, but the recent results had not helped with morale and the squad was disjointed. I needed motivated players.

JuEDp.png

Here we go.

Second minute of the game. We've got a corner. Sailhovic wips it in and...Baxter connects with the header...it's gone in! 1-0 after 2 minutes. Great header by the young striker. We continued to come at them and 3 minutes we later we had the same situation. Another corner. Whipped in and...Baxter connects! Second goal in 4 minutes! I shot out of my chair, hands above my head and ran to the technical area to the punch the air. I watched the big screen to see the replay and then got to see the replay of my reaction. Pretty classy. We dominated for the rest of the half. At half time, I spoke to lads quietly and simply told them to keep it up. No need to complicate things.

Second half. Passing was solid and we controlled the game, but no more goals were coming our way.Until the 72nd minute that is. Gueye recieved the ball at the half way line and began to bomb towards goal. Moving out wide he sent in a beautiful drilled cross. And you guessed it, Jose Baxter controlled it neatly and smashed it in to the back of the net. A Hat-trick at the final. What a fantastic game. We never looked like losing.

Everton have won the League Cup!

Everton
3 v Nottingham Forest 0
Jose Baxter (3)

League Position
12th

Our league performance has been dreadful and we deserve to be where we are. However right now it doesn't matter. Everton had silverware again. I was hailed as a genius by the fans. Well I don't know about that.

Player of the Month
Jose Baxter

PHj0x.jpg

In a terrible month Jose has been the one success story. He brought cup glory to a team who wanted it so badly and has won the hearts and minds of the fans. Congratulations!

Last edited:
March Fixtures and Results

The Cup parade around Liverpool city center was an amazing experience. The players beamed as they stood atop the double decker bus, waving at the adoring fans. They chanted Baxter's name, and cheered as I rose the cup above my head. It was a great experience, and just what we needed after such a terrible month. Morale could not of been happier. One player however didn't seem to be enjoying the celebrations as much as the others. A certain big haired Belgian.

Blackburn 1 v Everton 1
Scott Sinclair
Ruben Rochina

An equal match. We played well and I was sure we had won it. But a Rochina goal in the 93rd minute told me otherwise. The performance was good though, hopefully we could get a good run going. We really needed it.

Everton 2 v West Bromich Albion 0
Jose Baxter (2)

Baxter's confidence has been sky high since the Final, and it really shows. He was in great form today. Lead the line fantastically and got himself a brace. Well in lad.

Swansea City
2 v Everton 1
Magaye Gueye
Peter Utaka

Uch. Terrible, frustrating performance and I cant get to the root of the problem. We are throwing away points against teams we could be beating easily.

Everton 1 v Norwich 0
Steven Naismith

Better performance. Not by much though. We just about got away with it. Hopefully the lads can build on this.

Wigan
0 v Everton 2
Steven Naismith (2)

Vast improvement. Naismith was red hot and has a real eye for goal at the moment. Great bit of help from Moyes by signing him.

League Position
9th

Well we're heading in the right direction. Lets hope we can keep it up.

Player of the Month
Steven Naismith

QVq3I.jpg

Another great month for the ex-gers man. He's got a real eye for goal and one tricky player.

Last edited:
April and May Fixtures/Results

April was going to be a tough month. Looking at the fixture list, I got worried. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and City back to back.
The season had flown by. I was comfortable in my position now, and I had little time to reflect on any other aspect of my life. My father had quickly become respected within in the club and was enjoying life. I felt very privileged, and the board were extremely happy with me.

Sunderland
0 v Everton 3
Leighton Baines, Nikica Jelavic (2)

This match came down to us taking our shots. Both teams only had a few chances on goal and luckily we had that killer instinct. In terms of possession we were poor, they controlled the game most of the match and we relied on the counter to get our win. Still, I'm satisfied.

Everton 0 v Arsenal 0
We had been humbled by Arsenal earlier in the season, when we were on a good run of form. I was certainly aware that they had the quality to do us in again. However the lads were having none of it. It was a brave performance by our defense that got us a well earned point

Everton 1 v Chelsea 0
Ross Turnbull (og)

Cech being injured was always going to be an advantage. And we got our luck in this game. It was an equal match, and I was proud of the lads. Chelsea were having a solid season and playing great football. It may of taken a silly mistake by their young goalie to get us ahead, but still I think we deserved it.

Liverpool 2 v Everton 1
Apostolos Vellios
Dirk Kuyt, Andy Carroll

​I cant fault the lads. It was a big occasion and they worked their socks of for the fans, but Liverpool had the edge in the end. Coming to Anfield is never easy, and Moyes had never managed to win at Anfield. Hopefully I wouldn't have the same curse.

Everton 2 v Manchester City 1
Phil Jagielka, Apostolos Vellios
Yaya Toure

One of the many things I loved about Moyes was how he built a team that was fearless against the bigger teams. Even after the heavy investment of Man City, he manage to match and beat them on several occasions. One of my favorite memories was that beautiful Osman header a few seasons ago, he out jumped Toure and headed it home.
I was hoping for a similar performance, and boy did I get it. City looked average throughout the game, and we gave them a good tonking.

Bolton 2 v Everton 5
Nikica Jelavic (2), Arne Friedrich, Jose Baxter
Lee Chung-Yong, Kevin Davies

Great match. Our dominance over Bolton this season helped us win the League Cup. We really were their bogie team this year.

Everton v Aston Villa

The last game of the season was upon us. I sat in the dugout next to my father watching the team play. As I watched I reminisced about the season. How quickly things had changed and how I'd had to adapt to a whole new lifestyle...and this wasn't the end either. It would never end really. After this the Fans will go home and go back to their lives, maybe keep up with the transfer gossip over the summer. But for me, it was a short break and then back to the Football. I'd been given a chance to make my mark, and I felt like I'd taken it. I was ready to build something truly special here.

As I was thinking, I watched Jelavic receive a nice pass from Jali and run to the right. He sent a cross in and Vellios nodded it home. In my existential stupor, I forgot to celebrate and my father turned to me.'
"What's up, son?"
"Nothing Dad, nothing...just thinking about the season"
"Well maybe you should concentrate on the match going on now. Seeing as one of your hot prospects just scored and you didn't even flinch".

He was right of course. I jumped up and ran to the sideline and gave the thumbs up to Tolis. He returned the gesture and the match continued. After that I stood in the technical area for the rest of the match. Keeping the team focused and shouting instructions. Two more goals came from corners, Heitinga and Jagielka getting in the end of them.

League Position
7th

w6eVf.png

We'd got in to Europe with our cup win. The Europa was the perfect stage to build upon and I'm looking foward to the challenge. Overall it's been a solid season, but there's a long way to go. We threw away a lot of points which left us dreaming of a higher spot.

Player of the Month and Young Player of the Season
Apostolos Vellios

CXWgd.jpg

Another top performance by the young lad. He's going to be a big hit in a few season. 8 Goals, 6 Assists in 18 appearances.

Player of the Season
Nikica Jelavic

PvBwR.jpg

For a long time Everton didn't have a quality goal scorer. Well Jelavic is the man.
37 Appearances, 18 goals, 7 Assists and 7 MoMs. Not a bad first season. His commitment on and off the field has been fantastic, and he graciously set up many goals for the younger players in the last half of the season. Deserves the award totally.

Season Wrap-Up

Well that was that. The season was over. We'd managed to get our hands on Silverware and got in the the Europa League through the Cup win. A solid season in my opinion and I couldn't of been happier. After the game we all went out for a meal. Myself, the squad, the staff and all the admin celebrated throughout the night and I was ready for a little break.

The next morning I read the Guardian as I drank my steaming black coffee and nursed a mean hangover. Bankers being stupid...government looking after the rich...same old stuff. I flipped it over to the sports section...

"THAT WAS MY LAST SEASON AT EVERTON"- Fellaini
I read the article a few times. Chelsea had put in another bid apparently and Fellaini was adamant to go. I leaned back in to my couch and scratched my head.

Welcome to Football.​

this is absolutely fantastic mate! really enjoying it! I believe you should look at sigurosson as a replacement but theres many more players for you to look at!