t-mase

Reaction score
SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: 6th July 2010

West Brom Search For New Manager

West Brom fans have woken today to find their club in search of a new manager. Roberto Di Matteo has been sacked from his post with ‘The Baggies’ the board saying that they would like to see someone come in with fresh ideas.

Di Matteo spoke to us here at Sky Sports and said he was bemused at the descision. ‘I have got the club from the Championship and I am struggling to see what more I could do to keep my job. Of course I am sure that a cub like West Brom will attract a decent named manager but I am disappointed with the decision to let me go.’

Di Matteo, ousted from the West Brom hot seat.

‘When the new man comes in he will understand what it is to work with a shoestring budget and try and keep the team in the Premiership. The side is good enough but getting them to believe will be the key to success.’

West Brom Chairman, Peace, has spoken to us at Sky Sports also to try and explain the situation. ‘We had talks of great length as to where we want to take the football club,’ Peace started. ‘We have worked hard a number of years to get into the Premier division but struggle to stay here and many see us as a yo-yo side.’

West Brom chairman, Jeremy Peace, working hard to ensure Premiership survival​

‘This is not something that we wish to be known as. We are hard a hard working side who have to opporate with next to nothing to keep ourselves a float at the end of the season. A sustained period in the Premier League will see us be able to express ourselves more and get back to a position we know we are capable of reaching and competing at week in week out.’

‘A new manager and fresh ideas is the key here and this is something we are looking towards for the start of the Premier League season. We won’t necessarily be going for experience but someone who has a passion for football and the club itself to take it forward.’

Many West Brom fans have been taking the opportunity to have their say stating that they see the decision as ‘ridiculous’. Hopefully the decision will not backfire on the newly promoted side come the end of the season.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Thursday 8th July 2010

Appleton ‘I Can‘t Understand It‘

West Brom Assistant Manager Micheal Appleton has stated to us here at Sky Sport that he is still not sure how to take the dismissal of Roberto Di Matteo as West Brom manager. ‘I just don’t understand it, Roberto had the team playing well and to sack him seems a crazy decision, especially this close to the start of the season.’

Appleton, who will take control of the side until a replacement is found said he will continue to give everything to the club he used to play for. ‘I have great feelings for this club who have treated me well and I will continue to offer my best at all times to keep them where they deserve to be.’

Appleton will take caretaker charge.​

‘We will work hard until a new manager is found to ensure that we are ready for what will be a very tough season for us to be involved in, something that the players however must thrive on. We all know where we want to be and it is up to us to make sure that we do manage to keep our heads above water.’

The side worked hard to ensure that they got a return to the Premiership and they hope to see more scenes like the one they had at the end of last season. ‘The players know what is expected of them,’ Appleton continued. ‘We have a five year plan here, the fifth year culminating in a hopeful chance of reaching a European place in the league. This of course presently is a long way off. We are fighting all the odds to make it happen and hopefully with the right personnel, we will.’

Promotion, Appleton calls for me scenes like this.​

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Sunday 11th July 2010

Unknown Manager Jeffries Takes Charge

Tom Jeffries has been named as the new manager at West Brom today as fans and pundits alike are left to wonder who is he. Jeffries is said to be delighted at the prospect of kicking off his managerial career at such a well sought after club, one of which he started at as a youth team player.

Jeffries said, ‘I am delighted to be given the opportunity to manage at the club that I hold dear to my heart, of course second behind my beloved Peterborough United.’ Jeffries who had been coaching as part of the set up at Peterborough has been sought after by a few Championship clubs to take the reigns and was approached by Norwich early last season before Paul Lambert was taken on as manager.

The Norwich manager nearly wasn’t.

‘I declined the opportunity to take charge at the time, everything was just going so well with my time at Peterborough and of course as an old player at the club I found it difficult to up sticks and leave.’

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Background

Jeffries started his career as a player with West Brom in the youth set up and worked hard there, gaining a professional contract in the 1982 at the age of just 19 ‘I worked hard at West Brom to ensure that I got to where I needed to be, I wanted to strive to be there best.’ Jeffries told us.

Things did not work out for the man, originally from Peterborough who moved from Birmingham based club West Brom in 1985 with just one first team appearance under his belt. ‘I was disappointed, I thought I worked hard enough in training but it just wasn’t to be and this is something I believe just pushed me on more.’

In the same summer as him moving away from West Brom he went to his own proclaimed arch rivals Cambridge United where he spent five seasons moving then on into the Peterborough United side who won two consecutive promotions in the 90/91 season then again in 91/92 now at the age of 29.

Jeffries ‘Promotion was great for us’.

‘Two promotions in two seasons was a great time for us at Peterborough and it was great to be a part of everything that was going on at the time. I was pleased to be in the side and it is something to show the grandkids in years to come.’ Jeffries ended his career with peterborough and there on continued to coach until today he was offered the West Brom job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Aims

Jeffries has a tough ask to keep his side in the Premiership this season and has stated that he will do his best. ‘All anyone can do is their best and of course this will be no different for me and the West Brom side this season. We are punching well below our weight and this division is exactly where we deserve to be. However we know nobody has a divine right to be here and we have to work hard to prove why we should be here facing some of the worlds tops sides every week.’

When ask of the future of ‘Baggies’ superstar Graham Dorrans, Jeffries said ‘Graham will be a key part to how we play for this season and beyond, he will not be going anywhere, unless someone offers us stupid money.’

Graham Dorrans, Championship’s best player last term?

‘For me he was one of if not, the best player in the Championship last season. He works hard and gives up on nothing and I will do anything in my power to keep the lad here for as long as we possibly can.’

Nice Op mate. Look forward to what changes you may bring to West Brom. Take a look at my story when you can. Thanks.

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Saturday 17th July 2010

Mulumbu Leaves As Premiership Youngster Joins

Jeffries revaled today that he had to let Mulumbu leave the club in order to raise transfer funds at West Brom. ‘It was him or one of the stars,’ Stated Jeffries as Mulumbu completed a four million pound move to Zenit St. Petersburg.

‘Mulumbu goes with our greatest respect and we hope that he can do well for his new club. There are no hard feelings between us and the club and we see it as a great move for the lad.’ Not a bad fee for a player who just last seasons only cost the Premier League new boys around £170k.

Mulumbu stated he was delighted to have been able to agree terms with Zenit and saw it as a great move for him. ‘As a player you want to test yourself against great sides and I know I will be facing great sides weekly at Zenit.’

‘Happy with the move’ Mulumbu.

‘I understand the reasons for West Brom for letting me go and I am happy that they have let me go also when a club has come in for me with great ambitions and a rich history. I thank West Brom for the opportunity of playing for them and testing myself against great professionals.’

As one leaves another enters the fray as Daniel Pacheco of Liverpool has joined on loan till the end of the season to allow a few more attacking options to West Brom and aid his development. A Liverpool spokesman said, ‘It allows Danny (Pacheco) to go and express himself. He is a great talent who will play at the top level with Liverpool.’

Jeffries ‘He is young, ambitious and has tremendous quality.’​

‘This move is all about him gaining experience and not about a possible move for him at the end of his loan spell.’ Jeffries has confirmed that it will just be a loan move and nothing more but stated he was pleased to have him on board. ‘ Pacheco will add to the squad and add things others don’t have. He is young, ambitious and has tremendous quality. We are pleased Liverpool have agreed to allow the move till the end of this season.’

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Nice Op mate. Look forward to what changes you may bring to West Brom. Take a look at my story when you can. Thanks.

Thanks mate!

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Sunday 25th July 2010

Carson ‘Smithies Set To Shine‘

West Brom today announced the signing of youngster Alex Smithies in an £800k deal taking him to the club which seasoned goalkeeper, Scott Carson tells Sky Sports is a great deal for the club. ‘Smithies is a fantastic talent and has lots of potential that if he fulfils will see him play on the biggest stage.’

‘He comes into a side, knowing he is unlikely to get firs team football just yet but knows that he is capable of playing if he is given the chance.’ Carson said.

Smithies was clearly delighted with the move to the Birmingham based side, as he looks to push his career on at such a tender age. ‘I have been working hard and I am pleased that my ability has shone through and someone has taken the gamble on me’

‘I owe a lot to Huddersfield and I want them to know I am thankful of my chance that they gave me to show my ability. I am pleased to sign for West Brom they are a big side with good history and I am sure that they will push me on and fulfil my potential.’

Jeffries told us , ‘I am delighted to be able to welcome Alex to the club, he is an incredible talent and one that we are pleased to have now in our side. He has signed on a five year deal and has already said that he has great ambition to push on now and prove his worth.’

‘He will get ample game time with the club this term, I would imagine mainly through cup games however there is a possibility he could step out in the first team should his training form warrant that. Boaz (Myhill) and Scott (Carson) are not guaranteed a place in my side automatically, as is the same for all of my squad.’

‘There is more money in my tansfer pot and we are always looking to improve on our already decent squad, if we do that then we will be looking more towards the future that is for sure.’

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Saturday 31st July 2010

Experienced Arce Signs

West Brom have completed a double swoop today with Fernando Arce signing for a £950k fee and Nicolas Nkoulou joining on loan from Monaco until the end of this campaign.

Arce is unavailable for comment but Jeffries is pleased to have his man in. ‘We have been looking at adding some experience to the side as it is a relatively young team that we take to the Premiership and I want to help them progress.’

‘Fernando will aid this progression and hopefully will see us through the next few season in the League.’ Acre who is now 30 has signed on until 2013 in the bid to help West Brom stay in the Premier League.

He certainly has plenty of ability seen with 42 international caps for his County, Mexico, Jeffries hopes he can be as important for West Brom as he is his nation. ‘He clearly has talent and we know that this will help us. It is always nice to have an established International player willing to join you and the draw of the Premier League was to much for him to turn down.’

Acre, scoring for Mexico​

Jeffries has also enlisted the help of 20 year old Nicolas Nkoulou, who already has 20 international caps to his name for the Cameroon international side. Nkoulou is sought after by such sides as AC Milan currently and Jeffries is delighted to have secured his services. ‘He has been watched by our scouts and he will add great dimensions to the squad, he is a great player to have onboard.’

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Thursday 12th August 2010

Jeffries ‘We Are Ready‘

Jeffries speaks of his sides chances against a Stoke side as the Prmiership opening games begin this weekend with Jeffries stating ‘we are ready’. Jeffries has worked hard to being in some players to his side who he already believed were ready with one more in the pipeline. ‘We are looking at another youngster but one who has had international experience. He is scoring for fun in his native league at the moment and it is a struggle to et him to us as there are some top sides interested in him.’

Jeffries refused to comment further on this and looked forward to his game at the Britannia Stadium where he believed his side were ready to step up and take the three points in the opening game. ‘We have a great chance, if we are going to stay up or push on higher we have to beat the teams who are likely to be around us at the end of the season and this is the first of those games.’

‘We will be looking at the top players to shine today In the shape of Dorrans and Brunt.’ Brunt has been attracting the continual interest of Newcastle United but has said he himself is just interested at the task ahead this season with West Brom. ‘I am not looking to move on, I am happy here and want to show the fans what the side can do in the bid to stay up in the top league.’

Brunt believes West Brom can beat the drop.

‘We have worked hard through pre season and we must now be looking to show our worth in the best league in the world. We have no more time to practice and now it is the real thing. We no longer want to be seen as the yo-yo side of the top two divisions and we must look to show all of the clubs in England that we aren’t, if not only to prove it to ourselves.’

West Brom have also found out they will face League One opponents in the shape of the MK Dons at the Hawthorns for the Second Round of League Cup action. Jeffries said ‘it is a competition we are looking to go far in. MK are a decent side but we have the upper hand being at home. We will have to work hard but we should come out on top.’

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Saturday 14th August 2010

Jeffries ‘It Was Closer Than It Should Have Been‘

Peter Odemwinge scored a brace on debut to hand West Brom a 4-3 win in a game where they should have been home and dry before half time. Odemwinge scored two and Pablo with the other had West Brom 3-0 up at the break but two goals in 5 minutes from centre back Shawcross for Stoke had West Brom on the back foot.

Jeffries admitted he was worried at that point but was sure his side would hang on. ‘They had us rattled and I made a few changed but I was confident in our ability to be able to hold on for the three points.’ As it turned out Arsenal’s on loan star Carlos Vela netted to make it 4-2 and put West Brom in the ascendancy. ‘When Vela scored I knew we would go on to win, we had worked to hard to throw it away.’

He said ‘I am delighted to have been able to score on debut, we were sting today and I am pleased to have had a hand in that. The boys have worked hard as we could have easily thrown it away but we are now looking forward and hope to be able to push on more. We have shown our ability to score goals but need to sure up at the back but I am sure this will come in time.’

West Brom have home games against Bolton and Wolves, which will be fiercely contested, in the next two Premier League games and Jeffries is now looking forward to them. ‘Wolves is going to be the big one and I am pleased it has come so early in the season. Our aim is three wins for three to put us right in the right frame of mind for the remained or the season. I am a firm believer in how you start has a great difference on the final position, but least we remember it is a marathon and not a sprint.’

Ryan Shawcross helped himself to, two headed goals in the second half and was pleased with his contribution but not the overall result. ‘We have worked hard but to no avail today. We were down and out at half time and West Brom deserved a three goal lead but we have just come out in the second half with a different attitude and more belief and in the end are unlucky not to take at least a point.’

Stoke 3: Shawcross (47’ 52’) Sidibe (71’)
West Brom 4: Odemwinge (4’ 20’) Pablo (14’) Vela (54’)

That's a monster load of updates!

I wanted to get off to a quick start to get my feel into it. I will upload again tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:14 AM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Saturday 21st August 2010

9 Man Baggies Powerless To Resist Bolton.

In what was a close contest considering the numerical disadvantage that West Brom faced for fully 55 minutes, they stood stong but were powerless to resist a 2-1 loss to a Bolton side who should have had more.

Jonas Olsson challenges Kevin Davies before his red card on 36’

Jeffries was made to watch his side collapse after a promising first half which saw two red cards in a mater of 20 first half minutes despite West Brom going in at only 1-1. ‘we were looking good after getting the equaliser but Arce and Olsson have cost us dear today and they know that. I don’t need to say anything.’

Bolton took the lead through star man of the day Chung-Yong Lee inside the first fifteen minutes of a game that looked to only be going one way. He hit an incredible volley from all of 25 yards which left Scott Carson stranded and with no chance of getting to the ball. Owen Coyle was delighted with the effort calling for it to be the goal of the season already with just a matter of two games played.

Peter Odemwinge made it three in two games for him and 1-1 in the game as he fired home from a shot which was from just a mere few yards out, simply he wasn’t going to miss. Odemwinge then had another chance to put the game in 10 man ‘Baggies;’ favour but managed to blaze a shot over the bar which was put on a plate for him.

West Brom were immediately punished for this and dealt a bitter blow as Olsson was given his marching orders putting the game seemingly well out of the reach of the home side who just had no answer in the second half to the superior numbers of a Bolton side keen of a win. When Lee added his second of the game just before half time the game was well beyond the side with just 9 men left on the field of play.

Olsson receives his marching orders.

Although Bolton were the stronger team in the second half and perhaps should of and could of added more to their total West Brom did come out as the stronger side, huffing and puffing but to no avail. James Morrison coming the closest with a header that looked harder to miss. Bolton though should have had more and boss Owen Coyle knew this.

James Morrison misses a close range header.

‘We have let West Brom off lightly today, there was only ever one side that looked like they would get the result, especially in the second half. It looked even at 11v11 but as soon as it was 9v11 we knew we would go on to win. Kevin (Davies) has missed a few sitters and Lee could have added to his total of two for the day but it just wasn’t to be for us. Still it was a good day at the office and nothing for us to be other than pleased.’

Coyle, delighted with his side.

Matchday 2

West Brom 1: Odemwinge (31’) Arce (18’) Olsson (36’)
Bolton 2 - Chung-Yong Lee (13’ 43’)

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

BBCLogo.png
Page last updated Monday 23rd July 2010 10.36​
........................................................................​
email.png
E-mail this to a friend..........
print.gif
Printable version

Jeffries Looks To MK Clash

West Brom look forward to the clash with Mk Dons in the Second Round of the League cup, looking to bounce back straight away from the display against Bolton. Jeffries conceded that he will rest some of the first team stars to make way for some of the youngsters and open up the door for them to show the quality that they possess.

Jeffries said, ‘this is a chance for the youngsters to shine and show me what they can do. Players such as Smithies and Haber will be given a chance to offer their quality to the side and I may look at playing a few more. I am looking to mainly rest a few of the first team as we have a big home game against Wolves to look forward to and also it means I get to look and see the quality of our youth system. It is important they are offered the chance to keep the flow of players who make it to the main side.’

Haber, yet to make a start for the West Brom first team.​

Jeffries also spoke of on loan defender Craig Dawson who he would have liked to have given the chance too. ‘Sadly he has it written in his contact we can’t recall him which is a shame. He will be a great prospect once he has finished he development and someone that we will be sure to want to keep hold of. We are having him watched on almost a weekly basis with the Rochdale side this season and we hope he will develop more and more as the season goes on.’

Threats

Of course in any game there are the players to watch out for and Jeffries knows one of them far to well from his days with Peterborough. Sam Baldock of MK Dons is beginning to show the promise that many had thought he would show. Jeffries told us, ‘Baldock is a player of the Mackail-Smith ilk where by he works hard and never gives up on anything. He is the sort of player who will cause threats to any side and we have to be on our toes to deal with him, however the players are aware and I am sure they will be able to show the experience needed to deal with him.’

In September 2009, Baldock in fact was selected for the final 21 players to play in the Under 20 World Cup. This caused MK Dons Chairman, Pete Winkleman to say ‘The standard of players he will now be rubbing shoulders with underlines what a wonderful talent he is.’ Not may disagree with this statement after helping ‘The Dons’ to Johnstones Paint Trophy glory and then round of the impressive season beating Peterborough to the League Two title in 2007/08 season.

Chances

Jeffries then spoke of what he believed was a winnable competition for his West Brom side stating his side had the ability to go all the way and prove they are capable. The last time West Brom won the League cup was back in 1966 where they were then runners up in also 1967 and 1970. Jeffries believes his current side have the ability to go and win it for ‘The Baggies’ for the first time in over 40 years.

‘You always see sides that go all the way in the competition now who you least expect to be there. We want to be that side this season and show that we are fully capable of doing what the team from Middlesbrough did a few seasons back’

‘There are no get out of jail free cards or easy games and the further you progress the harder it will get but it is up to us to show the bit between our teeth and grind out wins when they are needed. Of course Premier League survial is the main aim but how nice would it be to have a cup win and Europe along with staying up?’ Jeffries asked.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

SkySportsheader.png

Last Updated: Wednesday 25th August 2010

West Brom Through In Comfortable Win

MK Dons showed superb fighting spirit but finishing was the key as West Brom romped home in a comfortable 4-0 win to reach the next round of the Carling Cup.

Carlos Vela was the man on form bagging a trio of goals as everything he seemed to touch turned to gold this evening. Jeffries said, ’Carlos was to be one of the senior members of the squad tonight despite his tender years. He had a great game and he really showed what he can do, all be it against lower league opposition.’

‘However that does not matter as a good striker will score most if not all of the chances that are offered to them and that is what he has managed to do tonight, three great strikes and he deserved his hatrick alone just for the sheer work rate he put in. I hope he can take forward this form to the weekend and the game against Wolves now.’

Despite the one sided and far superior score line, West Brom didn’t have it all their own way with shot stopper Smithies being called into action on more than one occasion through the night. He said, ’It was great to get my first game at West Brom under my belt and be able to show what I can do. What is even more important is the fact I have been able to keep a clean sheet and help us through to the next round. The gaffer believes that we can win the competition and why not, we have a good squad here and we need to push ourselves to the next level now.’

Main threat to the West Brom defence was Peter Leven who actually saw one of his shots cannon back off the bar as MK went in search of the goal that could have made all the difference in the first half with the score at just 1-0. MK manager Karl Robinson was pleased with his side and how they performed against a much superior team. ‘How can I be anything but pleased with the lads today, we have fought and battled and just couldn’t break down West Brom who were standing firm all night.’

‘We just told the lads to go out and express themselves and in the first half we were more than a match for them but just lacked the killer touch. If you don’t take your chances then you will be punished and you can expect no less of a Premiership side. We are disappointed to go out at an early stage but have to understand and accept that you can’t win them all.’

West Brom 4: Vela (13' 47' 80') *** (90)
MK Dons 0: