Bolton v Man Utd

sunilvk7

SAF greatest ever.
Reaction score
2011-09-09-08-18-25-1-bolton-wanderers-vs-manchester-united-2011-highli.jpeg

• Venue: Reebok Stadium
  • Date: Saturday, 10 September
  • Kick-off: 1730 BST
A North West derby at the Reebok Stadium will see Bolton become the latest side to try and halt the Manchester United juggernaut.
The Trotters have suffered back-to-back defeats in the Premier League and will be keen to get back to winning ways.

Goals have not been a problem for Owen Coyle's side, with seven notched in three games, but they have leaked six in their last two outings.
Bolton will also square up to the Red Devils this weekend in the knowledge that history is weighted heavily against them.
The Trotters have won only one of their last 17 meetings with United, and that solitary success was four years ago.

Whatever the outcome on Saturday there promises to be a result one way or another, with Bolton having gone 13 top-flight games since they were last involved in a draw.
United will have their sights set firmly on another three-point haul, following a breathtaking opening to the 2011/12 campaign.
The reigning champions have burst out of the blocks in spectacular style, with a perfect start taking them to the top of the table.

They have notched 13 times already this season and will arrive at the Reebok with an 8-2 mauling of Arsenal
spacer.gif
still fresh in their minds.
Team news

Bolton's trio of new signings David Ngog, Gael Kakuta and Dedryck Boyata are poised to make their debuts on Saturday.
Stuart Holden
spacer.gif
has been playing for the reserves as he continues his comeback from the knee injury he sustained against United in March, but he is unlikely to feature at the weekend.
Ricardo Gardner (groin) is also still working his way back to full fitness, while Lee Chung-yong, Tyrone Mears (both broken leg), Marcos Alonso (broken metatarsal) and Sam Ricketts (Achilles) are long-term absentees.

Manchester United
spacer.gif
could return Rio Ferdinand
spacer.gif
to their starting XI.

Phil Jones and Jonny Evans
spacer.gif
have impressed at centre-half of late, but Sir Alex Ferguson
spacer.gif
could turn to his tried and tested performers this weekend.
One of Evans and Jones is, however, likely to retain their place, as club captain Nemanja Vidic
spacer.gif
is still nursing a calf complaint.
Rafael (shoulder) and Danny Welbeck
spacer.gif
(hamstring) remain sidelined, but Antonio Valencia
spacer.gif
is closing on a comeback after shaking off an ankle knock.

Opta stat: Man Utd have won 199 Premier League away games, more than any other team.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Man Utd have won 11 of their last 13 meetings against Bolton.
  • In 12 Premier League visits to Bolton, Manchester United have lost just once (1-0 in November 2007).
  • This is the 120th meeting between the sides. Manchester United have won 52 times, Bolton 42 and there have been 25 draws.
Bolton

• Bolton need to score twice to total 300 home goals in the Premier League.
  • Bolton's new signing David Ngog has a Premier League goal scoring rate of 264.6 minutes per goal. Kevin Davies' ratio is 401 minutes per goal and Ivan Klasnic has an impressive rate of 119.2 minutes per goal.
  • After their match with Liverpool, the Trotters had scored with 38% of their attempts at goal this season, the best conversion rate of shots to goals in the top flight.
Manchester United

• A win would give Manchester United their 200th away victory in the Premier League.
  • Against Arsenal, Wayne Rooney became Manchester United's leading scorer in the Premier League with 107 goals, surpassing Ryan Giggs. His first goal against the Gunners was his 150th for the Red Devils in all competitions.
  • United's 13 goals from their opening three games is the second best total ever in the Premier League, behind Chelsea's 14 in 2010-11

• David De Gea has made 17 saves this season, more than any other goalkeeper in the Premier League.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Take:

Bolton away is a very tricky fixture, last season we drew 2-2 with Owen scoring equaliser. This season we have looked better than last season. Rio is back which is big news, but going by SAF's words maybe we will be playing with same defense.

Hard fought scrappy 3-1 win to United..

nice little read :)

I think we may leak 1 or 2 goals but score more than Bolton:

3:2 United :) not ideal but a win is a win!

Think Bolton will score - maybe first? or an equaliser...

... but Utd will win 3-1 after a hard-fought win.

Going for 1-0 and Sir Wayne of Rooney to get the goal. Bolton always make life as difficult as possible for every team.

Tough match, think Bolton will go 1-0 up but I think we will score 2 or 3 goals in the 2nd half to win 2/3-1.

Last edited:
I can see Bolton starting the game well but Utd will be too strong for them in the end and will take all three points.

United all the way 3 -0 ... although for the sake of my team of Pora's chelsea hope i'm wrong

Bolton 0 United 4 (Rooneyx2, Hernandez & Nani)

Bolton's Task to Keep Getting Harder Against Unitedby Paul McKinnon at Thursday, Sep 8 2011 10:10

2011%2f9%2fHernandez-Bolton.jpg

Bolton’s tough run of fixtures shows no sign of letting up this weekend as they play host to a rampant Man United. Owen Coyle’s side have suffered back-to-back defeats against Man City and Liverpool and, with the champions arriving on the back of an 8-2 win over Arsenal. The Trotters have conceded three goals in each of those last two games, meaning they must fear the worst ahead of Saturday’s evening’s showdown.

Likely Line-Ups
Bolton have something of a settled line-up just now, with Ivan Klasnic firmly established as Kevin Davies’ strike partner. Klasnic has shown great consistency and joins Wayne Rooney and Edin Dzeko as the only players to score in all three of their opening fixtures. Although new loan signing Tuncay has impressed in Carling Cup action, Klasnic is sure to keep his place in the first XI.

The only real disappointment for Man United in the 8-2 win over Arsenal was the hamstring injury to Danny Welbeck that saw the forward limp off on thirty-six minutes. On the positive side, this allowed Javier Hernandez to continue his recovery from concussion and the Mexican looks odds-on to start alongside Wayne Rooney up front. Darren Fletcher played twice for Scotland over the international break and looks set to challenge Anderson and Tom Cleverley for a place in Sir Alex Ferguson’s starting XI.

Key Battles
The home side are really up against it this weekend. United have scored thirteen goals, winning all three games as a series of swashbuckling performances have seen them soar to the top of the table. Wayne Rooney and Ashley Young are in rampant form right now and the pair continued their goalscoring exploits for England in the recent Euro 2012 qualifiers. Coyle’s side will be more than aware of the danger the pair bring and will need to nullify their threat if they are to stand any sort of chance.

Rooney has scored 5 goals, made 1 assist and already picked up 2 man of the match awards in his first three games. Cahill has shown decent form, scoring in Bolton’s opening day win at QPR as well as on international duty in England’s 3-0 win over Bulgaria, though the recent transfer rumours linking him with Arsenal and Spurs seem to have affected his domestic displays.

Rooney has been United’s main goal threat, averaging 5.3 shots, though Cahill has been in determined mood at the back, blocking 1.7 shots per game, substantially greater than fellow-centre half Zat Knight (1). The Man United star has also been the most creative player for his side, making 4 key passes per game- again Cahill’s stats are encouraging; he’s made 3 interceptions on average, the best of any Bolton player.

Cahill’s reading of the game has seen him step up to win 1.7 offsides per game, though Rooney’s tendency to drop deep means he’s yet to be caught offside this season. Cahill has also made a brilliant 10 clearances per game- again, this reading of the game is part of the reason he’s averaged just 1 tackle- Rooney has been dispossessed 1.7 times per game and Cahill will need to make more one-on-one challenges if he’s to dent Rooney’s impact. The centre half has averaged 7.07 so far in WhoScored ratings, with Rooney on a brilliant 8.97. It may be a thankless task ahead for the Bolton stopper.

Young has scored twice and made 4 assists as he has effortlessly slotted into the Man United side following his summer transfer from Aston Villa. Steinsson, on the other hand, has not been in the best of form and looks to be in for a troubling ninety minutes. The United winger has averaged 2.7 shots, the third most potent goal threat for the champions, while Steinsson has managed to block 1 shot per game.

Young’s creativity has been a feature of his game for his new club, with 3 key passes per game helping him to those 4 assists- Steinsson has made a mere 0.7 interceptions on average, easily the worst of any Bolton defender and he will need to improve on cutting out Young’s distribution if he is to have any chance of winning their particular battle.

The United man has also shown his ability on the ball with 1.3 successful dribbles per game and Steinsson again fares poorly here- he’s been beaten by an average 1.3 dribbles per game and Young will look to take him on as much as possible.

Young has been dispossessed 2 times per game and similar to Cahill, Steinsson has made just 1 tackle on average but while Cahill’s other defensive stats make up for this deficiency, the right-back is nowhere near as impressive. A WhoScored rating of 7.99 highlights what Young has offered so far and with a lowly 6.16 per game in comparison, Steinsson’s season has not been the best by any means. Facing up to the Premier League’s in-form winger is perhaps the last thing he needs right now.

Reckon this could be our biggest test for the youngsters. Bolton are playing well and a very physical side. At home their intense too and it's always a difficult tie.

Reckon we'll go 1-0 up but then we'll struggle and they'll pull one back. Reckon we'll score with 20 odd mins left then another very late to give us a flattering 3-1 win. We'll deserve the win but not by the margin.

Going to go with Nani, Rooney and a late Hernandez goal. Klasnic to score for Bolton.

Cant see us keeping a clean sheet in this one. 2-1 United Davies and Rooney to score, then a stoppage time Park goal to get the 3 points.

just managed to get a ticket, yesterday, in the home end :S
think we'll win 3-1

It will be interesting to see if the fluid system we have used so far this season will be successful away from home. West Brom gave us a real good run for our money and we were fortunate to get the three points that day. This game will be a big test. I expect us to concede but our wingers will be too much for the Bolton fullbacks to handle. We should win by a goal, 2-1 would be my guess.

Really hope the Lindegaard rumours are untrue. I think it comes from Lindegaard's Danish TV interview where he said ''I will get some games and alot faster than people think.'' Alot of stories that DDG's dropped, can't see the reasoning behind it. Would be awful for DDG and my fantasy team, hope Fergie sticks with him.

Really hope the Lindegaard rumours are untrue. I think it comes from Lindegaard's Danish TV interview where he said ''I will get some games and alot faster than people think.'' Alot of stories that DDG's dropped, can't see the reasoning behind it. Would be awful for DDG and my fantasy team, hope Fergie sticks with him.

Meh cant see any reason to drop him, he has to learn. Much like Schmeichel did

Heard that De Gea and Cleverley are going to be rested, meaning Lindegaard and Carrick/Fletcher to come in?

Don't see De Gea being dropped, but can understand Fletcher in for Cleverley if that happens.

Cant see it imo de gea has shown improvements in each game with united, and will only get better and better! He is uniteds no1 simples. will anybody be posting stream for match? united win 3-0.

I reckon 1-1, Bolton are definitely one of the most underrated teams in the league and are a good side and I think Bolton might sneak a point

I want to see Lindengaard, I'm still not sure whos better, him or DDG. Lets get that 200th away win.

De Gea, Jones, Rio, Evans, Evra, Cleverley, Anderson, Young, Nani, Rooney, Chico.

Last edited: