• John Terry for around ?55m

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Giorgio Chiellini for around ?50m

Votes: 26 29.9%

• Total voters

Jake89

FM or Revision? Hmm.....
Reaction score
Just like the way Alex Ferguson has taken Manchester United to the next level of domination in terms of English football, I am now going to try and emulate and surpass Ferguson and his achievements with United's most bitter rivals, Manchester City.

I know many people will have started stories with Manchester City but they are the kind of team that attracts the kind of players who play 3 games then start a new story. I am not one of these, as people who have read my previous stories will know. Feel free to check on these past stories where I have managed Fulham, Aston Villa, Manchester United and Leeds. I have also completed 10 seasons with Dag and Red and taken them into Europe and a consistent top 10 team in the Premier League.

I have already completed the first season of my Manchester City career, which I will post in summary as I didn't take screenshots on my way through unfortunately.

So, first season the board set me the target of Continental Qualification through league finish. I was confident of at least a top 4 finish but didnt think a title challenge would be realistic, so stuck with the initial expectations. I realised that there were a few positions that needed new players if I was to challenge for the title and other honours.

The main areas I thought were weak were the wings and another striker. For these positions I made the following signings :

Aaron Lennon - AMR - £15.25m

Bought for his attacking flair, pace and ability to create a chance from nothing, he was going to be fighting for the position of right wing with similar player Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Luka Modric - AMLC -£27m

Hefty price tag but I feel one that would be justified. Still only 23 years of age he has his best years ahead of him and will be a creative force in the advanced playmaker AML position.

Adrian Mutu - AMLC/ST - £12m

Mutu is a class player and has the ability to create as well as score goals. Probably plays best as a deep lying forward or inside forward in the attacking midfield spot, will have some competition for places from the likes of Tevez, Modric and Ireland.

Sold Javier Garrido for £5.25m to Shakhtar
Sold Martin Petrov for £6m to Fiorentina
Sold Santa Cruz for £9.75m to Real Madrid (January)
Sold Adam Johnson for £5.5m to Bayern Munich (January)

In order to bolster the squad a few purchases were also made in January to help us push on in the remaining competitions, these were:

Tim Cahill - MC - £12.5m
Axel Witsel - MC - £6m
Alexis Sanchez - AMRLC/ST - £19.5m

Here's a few screenshots of the fixtures played and the final league table:

View attachment 55374

View attachment 55375

View attachment 55376

Only narrowly missed out on the title, by just 3 points, which Chelsea won. Pleased to have finished in the top 4 and therefore qualifying for the Champions League which was my initial target. The board were delighted with our showing in all competitions.

Barclays Premier League : 3rd Place( 81 points - 25W - 6D - 7L - 81F - 39A)
Carling Cup : Semi Finalists - Lost 3-2 on aggregate to eventual winners Chelsea
FA Cup : Runners Up, Lost 2-0 to Chelsea

As you can see Chelsea won every domestic competition, and our rivals Manchester United went on to win the Champions League, so we clearly had some work to do in order to surpass these teams in order to start picking up some titles.

Players of the season :

(3) Luka Modric - 10 goals, 17 assists, 3 MOM, 7.18 Average Rating
(2) Adrian Mutu - 14 goals, 19 assists, 2 MOM, 7.25 Average Rating
(1) Carlos Tevez - 32 goals, 12 assists, 11 MOM, 7.36 Average Rating

Overall a fantastic season to build upon as we challenged on all fronts. With the financial backing the chairman is willing to give I am sure we can improve upon this next season and bring home some silverware, even if it is just the FA or Carling Cup. Also we will be competing in the Champions League which will be fantastic for the club and the fans.

SEASON 2

When asked what I think we can achieve this season, I was feeling optimistic about the situation and went for a title challenge. The chairman was delighted with this and backed me with a transfer kitty of £106m. By selling some dead wood I was hoping to take this to nearer £150m.

My transfers were now going to be signals of intent, no small signings that may or may not perform, they were going to be BIG name signings who were some of the best players in the world. The areas I now identified as now needing improvement were RB, CM and ST. Some potential targets:

RB - Dani Alves, Maicon or Sergio Ramos.
CM - Fabregas, Silva or Gerrard
ST - Villa, Aguero, Forlan or Eto'o.

To see where we stood in terms of finances as soon as the transfer window opened unwanted players were offered out. Players including Adebayor, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Gareth Barry were the big names said to be leaving.

View attachment 55383

Here is the final summary of the transfers. As you can see a lot of players left the club as they were deemed surplus to requirements, and the trimmed quad looked brimful of talent. The return of Robinho and Hart from loan deals will bolster the squad and offer competition for places.

I was absolutely delighted to be able to complete the signings of Fabregas and Maicon as they are up there with the best players in the world in their positions. Once these deals had been negotitated there wasn't enough left in the balance for a big striker to come in this season, so we acquired Gignac who is a proven goalscorer on this game. Monthly reports will be posted from now on.

Knocking Fergie over? Thought we were supposed to be nice to O.A.P's. :p

Good luck dude.

hahahaha, Nice one Max ;)

Good luck mate, Hoping you follow mine? vv

As much as i hate Man City good storie and i hope you achieve your goal

Pre-Season

Man City 4 - 0 Watford (Lennon, Tevez, Mutu, Modric)
Man City 2 - 0 Celtic (Fabregas, Modric)
Man City 2 - 0 Monaco (Modric x2)
Man City 3 - 2 Panathinaikos (Tevez x3)
Man City 6 - 0 Malvern (Gignac x3, Ireland x2, Tevez)

A good, solid pre-season in which we only conceded in 1 game and all of our attacking players were amongst the goals. Helped me settle on a 4-4-2 formation with 2 attacking wingers, Modric playing as an advanced playmaker and Lennon as a winger. Tevez was going to start as a supporting deep lying forward and Gignac as an attacking complete forward. In the centre midfield roles Fabregas would start alongside Stephen Ireland. The back 4 would be Bridge, Toure, Lescott and Maicon, with Given starting between the sticks.

AUGUST

Man City 4 - 2 Blackburn (Tevez, Modric, Gignac, Ireland)
Man City 0 - 0 Wigan
Wolves 3 - 6 Man City (Gignac x2, Tevez, Modric x2, Lescott)
Portsmouth 0 - 2 Man City (Tevez x2)

A reasonable start to the month which saw us sitting 3rd in the table. The defense needs some tweaking having conceded 5 goals in 2 games, although we did score 10. Disappointing result at home to Wigan which was seen as a concrete 3 points.

SEPTEMBER

Fulham 3 - 4 Man City (Tevez x2, Modric, Gignac)
Bordeaux 1 - 2 Man City (Sanchez, Mutu) Champions League

Drawn in a tough group alongside Bordeaux, Bayern Munich and Fenerbahce, we were pleased to come back from 1-0 down to win this game through goals from 2 substitutes. They are showing why they think they deserve a place in the first team, which delights me as we are going to have patches over the season when the first team are not performing consistently.

Man City 2 - 0 Everton (Tevez, Fabregas)
Man City 4 - 0 Sunderland (Gignac x2, Tevez, Witsel) League Cup 3rd Round
Spurs 0 - 2 Man City (Gomes O.G. Tevez)
Man City 2 - 1 Fenerbahce (Robinho, Witsel)
Champions League

A great month with 6 wins from 6 games. Finished with a superb win over Fenerbahce in a game in which we made 10 changes from the team that beat Spurs. This was a game for the fringe players to show why they should be in the first team, and some of them put some doubt in my mind as to who should be starting, especially Robinho. Despite not having any of the top teams in the EPL yet, I was still pleased with the way in which we easily beat Everton and Spurs.

OCTOBER (so far)

Man City 3 - 2 Aston Villa (Tevez, Lennon, Gignac)
West Ham 0 - 3 Man City (Mutu, Robinho x2)
Bayern Munich 1 - 1 Man City (Tevez) Champions League

Still have several games to play in the month but not a bad start at all. The win against West Ham got us into the record books for the most games won in a row in the history of Manchester City, 10 games. Unlucky to end that the game after against Bayern Munich but we are still unbeaten all season and in a good position to qualify for the next round of the Champions League.

Here's some screenshots for you, showing the current place we are in and the top performers of the team:

View attachment 55395

View attachment 55396

View attachment 55397

View attachment 55398

View attachment 55399

View attachment 55400

View attachment 55401

View attachment 55402Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed and that you will follow my story. Please post any feedback, good or bad, on how you think I could improve both my team or my story. Any tips on Layout, or any screenshots people recquire would be very welcome.

Cheers!

OCTOBER (Continued)

Hoping to continue the good start to the season and the unbeaten run. Taking every game as it comes and picking the best team available at the time, not going on repuatations. I will not be afraid to drop the £50m+ signings Fabregas or Maicon if they are not performing, although Fabregas has been ruled out for 2 months so I have had to re-jig the squad putting Modric in his creative attacking midfield slot and moving Mutu or Robinho to the left flank for now.

Reading 1 - 3 Man City (Cahill, Tevez x2)
Middlesborough 1 - 2 Man City (Tevez, Ireland) League Cup 4th Round

Man City have been drawn against Hull in the quarter finals of the League Cup at Eastlands. Other ties :

Tottenham v Bolton
Chelsea v Oldham
Blackburn v Liverpool

With United, Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton already out we are in with a great chance if we can avoid Chelsea.

Manchester City have also completed the expansion of their stadium taking the capacity up to a massive 60,000.

Man City 2 - 1 Sunderland (Mutu, Gignac)

Despite another unbeaten month I still feel like we could drop points easily against the big teams as we are making too many errors at the back. Am going to drop Toure for the next couple of weeks because he seems to be prone to an error and will start Kompany or Richards.

On a brighter note, this was our 9th succesive win in the Premier League and has meant we stay top and I also won the manager of the month award for the 2nd consecutive month.

View attachment 55495

Player of the Month : Carlos Tevez

The striker now has 14 goals in 16 games this season, including 5 this month, as well as 5 assists. He is really relishing the role of Deep lying forward.

Here is the current system we are operating, seems to be working very well:

View attachment 55497

I play Lennon deeper as Maicon is set to very attacking and I don't want them both up the pitch getting in each others way. Mutu is set to advanced playmaker. The slot Cahill is occupying is advanced playmaker and Ireland is just a central Midfielder. Tevez is deep lying forward whilst the other forward, usually Gignac is a Complete or Advanced forward.

Novembers Fixtures :

Bayern Munich - Home Champions League
West Brom - Home
Bolton - Away
Man United - Home
Bordeaux - Home
Champions League
Chelsea - Away

Thanks for reading, again feel free to leave any feedback. Something I would greatly appreciate opinion on is a CB I could purchase in January.

Get Phillippe Mexes as a centre back, solid as a rock! Anyway good luck

Yeh my scout keeps recommending Mexes but I couldn't get the right deal on him in the past. Maybe I will try again in January. Thanks for the comments :)

I have added this poll to get your opinion on who I should sign. If you have any other suggestions then please list them.

Cheers

Last edited:
Otamendi or Sakho. Both were quality for me on my PSG save and I eventually lost Otamendi on a free to Real Madrid

November

Man City 2 - 1 Bayern Munich (Kompany, Gignac) Champions League
Man City 2 - 0 WBA (Robinho x2)
Bolton 1 - 1 Man City (Tevez)
Man City 3 - 1 Man United (Cahill, Robinho, Lennon)
Man City 0 - 1 Bordeaux
Champions League
Chelsea 0 - 0 Man City

Overall, not a bad month at all. Great league win over arch-rivals United and a good draw away from home at 2nd place Chelsea. Disappointed to drop points against Bolton but I suppose we can't win every game! Lost our unbeaten season but we are now 17 games unbeaten in the EPL which is fantastic. Can hopefully seal the top spot in the champions league group in the upcoming game against Fenerbahce as we want to avoid the big teams of Europe.

View attachment 55522

Player of the month - Vincent Kompany

View attachment 55523

The centre back has come in this month and made some fantastic performance for the team. He was brought in to replace Toure who always had a mistake in him and Kompany has been solid and reliable, even chipping in with a goal. Him and Lescott are forming a good partnership and could save me a lot of money in the transfer window as I was planning on splashing out around £50m on a CB.

Thanks for the advice however, I will be buying a CB in the summer, but may also look at Sakho and Otamendi in January as they are much cheaper options.

December Fixtures:

Hull - Home - League Cup Quarter Finals
Liverpool - Home - League
Fenerbahce - Away - Champions League
Stoke - Away - League
Arsenal - Away - League
Middlesborough - Home - League
Wigan - Away - League

Last edited:
DECEMBER

Man City 2 - 1 Hull (Richards, Sanchez) League Cup Quarter Finals

Manchester City have once again been drawn against Chelsea in the semi finals. This is a repeat of last season, as well as the FA Cup final contested between the two. Man City will be out for revenge after losing both these cup battles last season.

Man City 1 - 1 Liverpool (Robinho)
Fenerbahce 0 - 3 Man City (Robinho, Ireland, Richards)
Stoke 0 - 3 Man City (Faye O.G. Robinho, Sanchez)
Arsenal 1 - 0 Man City

First blemish of the season in the EPL and it comes in a desperately unlucky visit to the Emirates. Man City were on top for the majority of the game and set up most the chances. However, it was not meant to be and they were punished for not taking their chances when Van Persie slotted home from a very controversial, offside looking position. Unfortunate that the run had to end in this way and it means that Chelsea have now moved 1 point clear at the top of the table.

How will this first domestic loss affect Man City? Will they be able to bounce straight back and return to their winning ways?

I will certainly be considering making some changes to keep the team fresh as recent performances have not been as good as earlier in the season. However, there is news that will boost all Man City fans.....

FABREGAS RETURNS FROM 2 MONTH INJURY TO FACE MIDDLESBROUGH

Man City 4 - 2 Middlesbrough (Fabregas, Mutu x3)

The return of Fabregas was sensational. The midfield dynamo was superb today creating many chances and even taking one for himself. He was then taking off with 30 minutes to go to a raptuous round of applause, the fans are clearly growing fond of little Cesc. Mutu was also chosen to start up top alongside Tevez, ahead of Gignac and Robinho, and this brave decision clearly paid off with him bagging a superb hatrick.

Wigan 0 - 0 Man City

Desperately unlucky again for Manchester City as they absolutely batter the woodwork, hitting it 4 times in total. On top of this, Kirkland was simply fantastic and the Wigan tactics of parking the bus paid off as they secured an unlikely point.

Here is how the league is standing at the end of December:
View attachment 55624

Arriving on the 1st January is new signing, Argentinian CB Nicolas Otamendi, for a fee of £16.5m. His arrival surely sparks the departure of Nedum Onouha or Zabaleta, who are really struggling to break into the squad this season.
View attachment 55625

Despite some slips recently, Man City remain just 1 point behind leaders Chelsea. Will the new year see them leap-frog the current domestic dominators? Will they be able to overcome the might of Chelsea over 2 legs in the Carling Cup?

JANUARY

Swansea City 1 - 4 Man City (Robinho x3, Modric) FA Cup 3rd Round
Man City 3 - 2 Chelsea (Tevez, Otamendi, Robinho) League Cup Semi Final Leg 1
Man City 4 - 0 Portsmouth (Tevez, Mutu x2, Gignac)
Man City 1 - 1 Wolves (Tevez)
Everton 1 - 1 Man City (Tevez)
Chelsea 3 - 1 Man City (AET) (Richards)
Hull 1 - 3 Man City (Jo x2, Mutu) FA Cup 4th Round
Man City 5 - 1 Fulham (Robinho x2, Tevez x2, Zabaleta)
Man City 2 - 1 Spurs (Gomes O.G. Jo)

Not a bad month, picking up 6 wins from 9 games and again being unbeaten in the league. However, the draws against Everton and Wolves should have been wins in the bag but we conceded late on in both games. This annoyed me as we are still conceding far too many at the back but also not taking enough chances. In order to try and stop this I have brought in Jo from the reserves and he has been great so far, 3 goals and 2 assists in the last 3 games.

Very disappointing to once again be knocked out of a domestic cup by Chelsea, thats now 2 Carling Cup semi-finals and also the FA Cup final. They are the only team to have beaten me in cup format.

We have been drawn against Millwall away in the next round of the FA Cup and against Benfica in the 1st Knockout Round of the Champions League. We have a lot to look forward to in this season with still a potential treble on the cards.

Premier League Table at end of January

View attachment 55818

As you can see we are still in a decent position, sitting top on goal difference but we also have Chelsea to play at home which we can hopefully win.

Player of the Month : Jo

View attachment 55819

The Brazilian has been a revelation since getting his chance in the first team and is keeping some big players out the team. This award could also have gone to either Tevez or Robinho who have both been fantastic, netting 6 goals each this month.

February Fixtures :

Aston Villa - Away - Premier League
Reading - Home - Premier League
Millwall - Away - FA Cup 5th Round
Benfica - Away - Champions League 1st KO Round
Sunderland - Away - Premier League
Blackburn - Away - Premier League
West Ham - Home - Premier League

Some very tricky away games next month which could make or break our season. We will be looking to pick up at least 11 points in the Premier League allowing for 2 draws or 1 loss, but we have to win the rest of the games. Also looking to progress in a relatively easy FA Cup game and take at least a draw from the Benfica game.

Thanks for Reading :)

FEBRUARY UPDATE

PREMIER LEAGUE - 05.02.2011

Aston Villa 0 - 1 Man City

Tevez (79)

A Tevez wondergoal was enough to settle this game and bring home the 3 points. The ball was headed clear by the Villa defense and Tevez rifled a volley into the top corner past a helpless Brad Friedel, from 30 yards. If this goal does not get Goal of the Season I will eat my hat!

MOTM : Tevez (1 wondergoal, 7.5)

FA CUP 5TH ROUND

Millwall 0 - 3 Man City

Lescott (45+1)
Jo (61)
Otamendi (83)

MOTM : Otamendi (1 goal, Clean Sheet, 8.1)

Man City have been drawn away to Liverpool in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup. Another tricky tie which leads me to believe that Football Manager really doesn't want to see Man City win any silverware!

On a different note, Nigel De Jong has reqyested a transfer after this plea for first team football was turned down, with the manager claiming he was just a "backup for the first-team".

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 1ST KNOCKOUT ROUND - 16.02.2011

Benfica 2 - 1 Man City

Cardozo (44,91)
Toure (57)

MOTM : Joe Hart (7.7)

Disappointing to throw away the late goal but we have an away goal which I confident will be enough to see us through to the next round. I think we will be too strong for Benfica at home.

PREMIER LEAGUE - 19.02.2011

Sunderland 3 - 1 Man City

Mathijsen (25)
Barnetta (48)
Cattermole (58)
Jo (77)

MOTM : Jo (1 goal, 7.3)

Well well well, we were simply awful today. Nobody turned up and we didn't deserve anything. Only the second league defeat of the season but it could prove costly as Chelsea take a 1 point lead. Changes will be made!

PREMIER LEAGUE - 23.02.2011

Blackburn 0 - 3 Man City

Jo (67, 91)
Otamendi (73)

MOTM : Jo (2 goals from the bench, 8.3) Robinho (3 assists from the bench, 8.3)

Great reaction from the players and the new 4-5-1 system worked. We seemed very solid but didnt create much until the introduction of Jo and Robinho.

PREMIER LEAGUE - 26.02.2011

Man City 1 - 0 West Ham

Modric (69)

MOTM : Modric (1 goal off the bench, 7.5)

Modric scored the only goal of a very boring game just seconds after entering the pitch. With his first touch of the ball he gave us a very valuable 3 points, in a game in which we couldn't afford to drop anything.

PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 55853

Sitting just two points ahead of Chelsea but they have a game in hand, we are in a decent position with a home tie against Chelsea still to come.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 55854

Otamendi has been fantastic since arriving in January really bolstering the defense. He never makes a mistake and always dominates in the air, something I like to see from my players. Would very much like to thank fuelledbypassion for recommending him to me ;).

MARCH FIXTURES

View attachment 55855

POTENTIAL FUTURE TRANSFER TARGETS

It has come to that time of the season when I will be looking at the players who can join my revolution in the summer. I think the main priorities are a LB to replace Wayne Bridge, a Defensive Midfielder who can break up play as well as create chances and maybe get a few goals and a 30 league goals a season striker.

I would like to extend an invitiation to all readers to please get involved in my future transfers and suggest some ideas for who may be up to the challenge of filling these positions, and why you think they are good enough, e.g. how they have performed for you in the past.

Thanks very much for reading :)

MARCH UPDATE

PREMIER LEAGUE - 02.03.2011

Man City 4 - 0 Reading

Tevez (1,8,65)
Gignac (78)

MOTM : Tevez (Hat-trick, 9.4)

FA CUP 6TH ROUND - 05.03.2011

Liverpool 2 - 0 Man City

Torres (63,78)

MOTM : Joe Hart (7.8)

Disappointing to be out of another domestic cup. Means we have just the league and Champions League to fight for this season. Maybe a blessing in disguise?

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 1ST KNOCKOUT ROUND LEG 2 - 09.03.2011

Man City 1 - 0 Benfica

Jo (74)

MOTM : Jo (7.4) Off the bench to score the winner to take us through to the next round.

Man City have been drawn away to Liverpool in the Quarter Final of the Champions League with the first leg being played at Anfield.

PREMIER LEAGUE - 12.03.2011

W.B.A 3 - 2 Man City

Fabregas (37)
Fletcher (60,80)
Modric (66)
Morrison (75)

Very disappointing to throw away a one goal advantage twice, and then go on to lose the game. Could cost us dearly in the title race.

MOTM : Modric (1 goal,1 assist 7.6)

PREMIER LEAGUE - 19.03.2011

Man City 2 - 1 Bolton

Elmander (4)
Tevez (34)
Jo (67)

MOTM : Jo (1 goal from the bench, 7.4)

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL LEG 1

Liverpool 2 - 3 Man City

Robinho (2)
Gerrard (24)
Arango (35)
Tevez (60)
Witsel (67)

MOTM : Robinho (1 goal, 1 assist, 8.7)

Fantastic comeback to give us a great chance of reaching the Semi-final. It's not over yet but we should be able to see this one out.

PREMIER LEAGUE TABLE

View attachment 55873

As you can see I am still top, however, its SO SO close. If Chelsea and Arsenal win their game in hand they can go up to 2nd and 3rd with just 2 points between 1st and 6th.

PLAYER OF THE MONTH

View attachment 55874

5 goals in the last month is a great return from the striker and he is once again by far the top scorer in the team.

APRIL FIXTURES

View attachment 55875

WOW, dem some tough fixtures!! This is clearly a make or break month and will decide where the title goes. Every fixture is against the big four.

Is anybody reading me?

very nice, I also am using a Man City team in a quest for glory, however, I'm only up to January in my 1st season.
My squad is:
----------------------------------------Given------------------------------------------
Sagna-------------Gallas------------------------Mexes-------------------Bridge
--------------------Barry------------------------Moutinho-------------------------
Maxi Rodriguez------------------Riquelme---------------------------Robinho
---------------------------------Tevez------------------------------------------------
Bench: Taylor, Wright-Phillips, Lescott, Buonanotte, Kompany, Ireland, Adebayor

I was going to make my own story, but I dont really have the time as I dont play that often. But some of your transfers seem excesive, you dont really need Fabregas, Maicon, etc to win the EPL, a lot of the starting Man City players will do the job. My transfers were:
In:
Maxi Rodriguez (A.Madrid, 21mil)
Sagna (Arsenal, 23mil)
Alphonse Areola (PSG, 100k)- great goalkeeper prospect, (I actually played against him when I trained in France, nice guy :) )
Mexes (Roma, 19.5 mil)
Muniesa (Barca, 95k-good young talent)
Munian (A.Bilbao, 700k- imo the next Torres)
Riquelme( Boca, 4.2 mil- rushed through on deadline day :) )
January:
Buonanotte (River, 2.5 mil- needed cover as Robinho was injured and Riquelme was underperforming)
Gallas (Arsenal, 7.5 mil)
Moutinho (Sporting CP, 8mil)
Out:
Benjani (Middlesborough, 2.2 mil)
Richards (Sunderland, 6mil)
Zabaleta (Arsenal, 6mil)
Garrido (West Brom, 2.5 mil)
In addition, Toure and Bellamy (possibly Santa-Cruz) are transfer-listed and I hope to sell them before the end of January, try to use that cash to buy Lloris or Akinfeev.
Results-wise I'm 1st (21 played, 17-3-1) and 2 points ahead of Chelsea, but they have a game in hand.