Brazilian "Box-To-Box Midfield" Tactic

Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been quite a tumultuous time these past couple of days,seeing as how I have been behind closed doors (not literally) experimenting and testing my new tactic,with more or less emphasis on bringing the 'Brazilian magic' to the field in Football Manager 2010,whilst it's in it's final months before becoming obsolete.

After just starting a new game with the Brazilian national football team,solely to try and test out a new tactic,with tweaks here and there,I am proud to present to the FM-Base community the new Brazilian "Box-To-Box Midfield" tactic,created by Craig McMenemey (me).

In this short walkthrough,I will be breaking down the whole tactic from the basic structure to the little niggly things to get the 'magic' out of your players,having a good enough tactic to bring the best out of some of the faltering players you might have dwindling in your reserve team.

Before I do continue with this,please be aware that this is not a tactic that will win you games right from the off.It is a tactic still in testing and will require a few people to test it and tell me areas of which can be improved,however,that can be discussed another time.

Let's break this down:

The Main Structure:

As we all know,the Brazil national team is known to be a highly creative,attacking and flair-like team,with players from the fullbacks to the strikers having somesort of ability to dart down the wings,weave themselves past numerous players and have that skill that is bestowed on players that have either got it or worked extremely hard for it.

This tactic doesn't emulate their current 4-1-2-1-2,but rather works around it to have three different types of attacking players that can create chances,as well as score from some.This tactic is a narrow 4-2-2-2,with a normal defensive line,consisting of two centre backs and two fullbacks,the midfield consisting of two defensive midfielders and two attacking midfielders and the attack composing of just two strikers.

In this 4-2-2-2,you will find three main bands of which consist of two defenders,one will be attacking and other supporting - sometimes two attacking players,however they may have been set opposite roles.

View attachment 78741
"Bands of two" shown in screenshot

With this,you can expect them to partner with one-another and help create attacking moves.The ball moves from each band of players to the next,either down the wings via the fullbacks that are bombing forward with intent,or through the middle between the two attacking midfielders,hence why the tactic is named "Box-To-Box" as well.

"Band-to-Band" and Roles Breakdown

Having broken down the main characteristics of the tactic,we can now delve deeper into the roles set for each position and how they contribute to the strategy on a whole.Let's look:

The Defence:

Centre-Backs:

• Central Defender,Stopper
  • Limited Defender,Cover
Central Defender,Stopper

Able to compose himself when confronted with opposing attackers,the Central Defender must be commanding both technically and physically,as well as being mentally proficient in being able to clear the danger when required,as well as having good decision making in those tight situations.

Attributes Required:

• Heading
  • Marking
  • Tackling
  • Composure
  • Bravery
  • Jumping
  • Strength
  • Stamina (not a necessity,but is desirable)
  • Decisions
  • Determination
  • Aggression
  • Positioning
  • Concentration
Quite a lot of attributes to cover,however,the majority of them should be over 13 (13 being average in Football Manager terms) Overall,the defender must be cool and composed with good amounts of aggression to retain possession in dangerous situations.

Players recommended:

• Brede Hangeland,Fulham
  • Kolo Toure,Manchester City
  • Philippe Mexes,A.S. Roma
  • Giorgio Chiellini,Juventus
  • Thomas Vermaelen,Arsenal
Limited Defender,Cover

Also known to have a composed manner when tackling dangerous situations (no pun intended) the Limited Defender drops deeper from the normal defensive line to become the last man of defence and help clear danger.When taking on a player of the opposing team,the Limited Defender looks to retain possession by looking to tackle the opponents the best way possible without concending unnecessary free-kicks.

Attributes Required:

• Determination
  • Anticipation
  • Positioning
  • Strength
  • Jumping
  • Acceleration
  • Marking
  • Tackling
A lot less to cover than the stopping Central Defender,but most of them are compulsory and,without the majority of them being above 14/15,he should not be playing a role of such importance.If struggling to find a good Limited Defender,look to switch the role to Central Defender,Cover and look to work around that.

Players Recommended:

• Rio Ferdinand,Manchester United
  • Martin Demichelis,F.C. Bayern Munich
  • Luisao,S.L. Benfica
  • Bruno Alves,F.C. Porto
  • Simon Kjaer,Palermo
Fullbacks:

• Wing Back,Attack
  • Full Back,Automatic/Wing Back,Attack
Wing Back,Attack

Assured to be the fifth or sixth man in the box when on the attacking move,the attacking wing back is handed the licence to attack wholeheartedly down the right or left flank with intent and impose a threat on the opposing winger as well.His main job is it,not only bomb forward and bring the ball down the flanks more to cross at the byline,but also keep half an eye open on the opposing wingers who may be imposing a threat on the defence,as well as costing the team a goal.

Taking on his shoulders a huge role of accomplishing both attacking and defensive duties,the attacking wing back is the team's second option in exploiting the flanks when on the attack.This includes the attacking midfielders crossing over channels to exploit the flanks too and open up possible weaknesses.

Attributes Required:

• Crossing
  • Dribbling
  • Marking
  • Tackling
  • Acceleration
  • Pace (Not shown in the description,but should be a desired attribute)
  • Decisions
  • Positioning
  • Team Work
  • Work Rate
  • Stamnia
Should be looking at the majority,if not all of these attributes above 14/15 for a fully desired effect.It's a huge role to accompany but,should the player taking on the responsibility have those attributes,expect good,consistent performances from this player.

Recommended Players:

• Marcelo,Real Madrid C.F.
  • Adriano,Sevilla
  • Daniel Alves,F.C. Barcelona
  • Nelson (For teams who cannot afford the following),Real Betis
  • Patrice Evra,Manchester United
Full Back,Automatic

The all-round fullback.Able to accomplish attacking and defensive duties,the fullback should be well-rounded in marking and tackling skills,as well as having the ability to cross the ball when overlapping a winger or darting down the flanks.The physical side of this fullback job is a necessity,with him being up and down the flank,fatigue will start to become a factor at one of the most unnecessary of times.

Attributes Required:

• Crossing
  • Marking
  • Tackling
  • Positioning
  • Team Work
  • Work Rate
  • Stamina
  • Acceleration
  • Pace (again,a desired attribute)
  • Anticipation
  • Concentration
Again,around the 14/15 mark should be where the attributes should be of a good standard.This player should be like a third centre back but,at the same time,a second winger.It's a tough job.

Players Recommended:

• Glen Johnson,Liverpool F.C.
  • Patrice Evra,Manchester United
  • Ashley Cole,Chelsea F.C.
  • Aly Cissokho,Olympique Lyonnais
  • Anthony Reveillere,Olympique Lyonnais
The Midfield:

Defensive Midfielders:

• Defensive Midfielder,Support
  • Anchor Man,Defend
Defensive Midfielder,Support

Despite contributing to few attacking moves,the support defensive midfielder looks to retain the midfields original and offload the ball to much more technically proficient and creative player,such as the attacking midfielders in front of him.Arriving in the box later than the other players,the support defensive midfielder should be able to have good passing skills and sometimes become the playmaker when the orignial playmaker is unable to playmake.

Attributes Required:

• Marking
  • Passing
  • Tackling
  • Positioning
  • Team Work
  • Work Rate
  • Stamina
  • Decisions
  • Acceleration
  • Strength
Should be getting the majority of these above 14/15 for a good,passing and mentally proficient supporting defensive midfielder.This is especially important when categorising the attributes mentally.The physical side does count as well,however you can look to improve that over time with the player.

Players Recommended:

• Felipe Melo,Juventus (Needs his decision making improved)
  • Claudio Marchisio,Juventus
  • Arturo Vidal,Bayer Leverkusen
  • Gokhan Inler,Udinese
  • Kwadwo Asamoah,Udinese
Anchor Man,Defend

Sitting in the hole between the defence and the midfield,the "Water Carrier" as it's apparently referred to at times,recylces the possesion and,similarly to the supporting defensive midfielder,looks on for the more creative players to continue the attacking moves.Contributes very rarely,if not ever to any attacking moves with the exceptions of corners,the defensive midfielder breaks up attacks and is the barrier between the defence and the the opposing attackers.

Attributes Required:

• Heading
  • Marking
  • Tackling
  • Positioning
  • Work Rate
  • Strength
  • Decisions
  • Determination
  • Anticipation
  • Concentration
Important attributes that majority of them need to punch above 15.A commanding defensive midfielder needs to be physically and mentally strong with ability to gain possession and destroy attacking moves.Should have aerial ability and act like a defender in some ways.Work Rate and Team Work would be a powerful combination mentally for someone taking up this role.

Players Recommended:

• Alou Diarra,Girondis Bordeaux
  • Gilberto Silva,Panathinaikos
  • Jeremy Toulalan,Olympique Lyonnais
  • Michael Essien,Chelseas F.C.
  • Angelo Palombo,Sampdoria
Attacking Midfielders:

• Trequartista,Attack
  • Advanced Playmaker,Attack
Trequartista,Attack

Drifting around the box when the team's in possession,the Trequartista looks to become a "third striker" in cultured role by being able to pass into the path of team-mates and shoot when the opportunity arises for them.A hard position to accomplish in with the lack of it's use in modern football,it becomes a useful weapon in the arsenal of attacking options,as the player who holds this role will benefit from the flourish of goals that should come for him.

Attributes Required:

• Finishing
  • First Touch
  • Composure
  • Passing
  • Technique
  • Creativity
  • Flair
  • Off The Ball
  • Agility
Again,the majority of these attributes should be above average.Most of them in the 16's and 17's,as it is a hard thing to fulfill the role of Trequartista.He inevitably will become a third striker when on the attacking move,but also a second playmaker,with his creativity and ability find team-mates crucial to find the back of the net.

Players Recommended:

• Kaka,Real Madrid C.F.
  • Dimitar Berbatov,Manchester United
  • Francesco Totti,A.S. Roma
  • Antonio di Natale,Udinese
  • Guiseppe Rossi,Villarreal C.F.
The Strikeforce:

• Advanced Forward,Attack/Complete Forward,Attack/Target Man,Attack
  • Poacher,Attack/Defensive Forward,Attack
Advanced Forward,Attack/Complete Forward,Attack/Target Man,Attack

As you can see,the two forwards can differ from role to role,and it is essential that you find the right one for each striker so you can utilise the best of their abilities.The striker should be complete with finishing and the hunger to score,with his techincal and mental abilities of high standard.

He spearheads the attacking moves.

Abilities Required:

• Dribbling
  • Finishing
  • Composure
  • Heading
  • Long Shots (not a necessity,but desirable)
  • Passing
  • Technique
  • Anticipation
  • Composure
  • Jumping
  • Team Work
  • Off the Ball
  • Acceleration
  • Agility
  • Balance
  • Pace
  • Strength
Players Recommended:

• Edin Dzeko,VfL Wolfsburg
  • Wayne Rooney,Manchester United
  • Fernando Torres,Liverpool
  • Didier Drogba,Chelsea
  • Adriano,Flamengo
On the Field:

This is my best result with this tactic and good exposure of different roles for players that may become first-teamers in no time.

Brazil v Venezuela:

View attachment 78724
As you can see,the players are already pushing forward to create options for the to-be ball carrier.The strikers,attacking midfielders and fullbacks are all pushing up,creating space and dropping into zones that make it very difficult for the opposition to mark.

View attachment 78723

Again,you can see the creation of space and options just by looking for the space.The players are creating options and attacking chances.The defensive lines pushes further up the field to allow the fullbacks to attack and the defensive midfielders to assist in the options to create an attacking move and,quite possibly,a goal.

View attachment 78725

At the end of the match,here were the ratings of the Brazilian national team.I specifically highlighted Elano's performance.Not only because he was sensational in getting a hat-trick unexpectedly in a role that I didn't expect him to flourish in,but for the fact that he worked well and was a real threat to the opposition's defence with his constant attacking and dropping into space.

Other results are as followed...

View attachment 78735

View attachment 78736

With the class of 2009...

View attachment 78738

And a good showing in the World Cup group stages...

View attachment 78737

And some records being broken on the way...

View attachment 78740

View attachment 78739

NOTE:

I am yet to try this tactic on club level and would like some beta testers to give it a go and tell me where I should be improving.Acceptance of beta testers will be soon.

-----------------------

Thank you for taking your time to read through all of this and my break down of the tactics for you,as I hope you enjoy winning games as much as I did.

Thanks

:)

View attachment 78742

P.S.

The match between Brazil and Venezeula below ;)

View attachment 78743

By the way,I am intending on using this tactic with teams such as Tottenham Hotspur and A.C. Milan,however if beta testers are interested,they are welcome to do it for me and feed me back on results.

looks dangerous, both offensively and defensively....

I'd try it out for one of my lower level clubs, but looks a bit risky for that level.

I saw the words "box" and "Brazilian", I had to have a look. Was gutted when it was tactics. At least until I saw how good the tactics looked.

Just been given the manager role at Brazil, 2nd season. May try these tactics out and see if i get similar results!

Meh , in the spanish league they kill teams with no wing def...

im lucky im still undefeated in the Liga BBVA using 3 up front 3 in the middel ...

Meh , in the spanish league they kill teams with no wing def...

im lucky im still undefeated in the Liga BBVA using 3 up front 3 in the middel ...

oO) Sorry,I didn't really catch what you were trying to get at.

And you might want to spell 'Sergio' correctly in your sig.

(A) Just saying.

oO) Sorry,I didn't really catch what you were trying to get at.

And you might want to spell 'Sergio' correctly in your sig.

(A) Just saying.

Whell formations like 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-4 wll give u alot of trouble useing that formation, but i guess its only in the spanish league...

2. ill keep that little error, to hurt your feelings...^^)

Whell formations like 4-2-3-1 and 4-2-4 wll give u alot of trouble useing that formation, but i guess its only in the spanish league...

2. ill keep that little error, to hurt your feelings...^^)

Hmm,I guess. :p

Haha,it's your mistake,I'm not the one that's going to look stupid <)

Joking. ;)

Hmm,I guess. :p

Haha,it's your mistake,I'm not the one that's going to look stupid <)

Joking. ;)

Look stupit.. only for a Brit like u ;)

atleast im human , that makes mistakes, and it isnt my main language (A)

ok , im off for holland vs cameroon, we play more awsome football then england, u guy's speak only better english then us, not better football lol...

coudnt finish those matchs england played, Zzzzz :(

looks interesting, a lot of work put into it, well done

Guess ill try it sinds it looks interesting, i wana see it in action, thanks for upload;)

These tactics are brilliant, I've attached the first 3 games I played using them :)

alright mate, tried this out over 10 games with spurs, its working very well, ive won 8 out of the 10 games and the style of play is nice to watch.

ive sold lennon and bentley, and braught i na boy called alex from moscow he plays well beside modric in the treq role also annan,

gomes
corluka king bassong bale

annan hud/wilson

alex modric/kranjk

defoe crouch/pav

really good tactic though mate, il put some screenies up as i get further on.

alright mate, tried this out over 10 games with spurs, its working very well, ive won 8 out of the 10 games and the style of play is nice to watch.

ive sold lennon and bentley, and braught i na boy called alex from moscow he plays well beside modric in the treq role also annan,

gomes
corluka king bassong bale

annan hud/wilson

alex modric/kranjk

defoe crouch/pav

really good tactic though mate, il put some screenies up as i get further on.

Nice to hear mate.

Looking forward to the screenshots :)