Building From The Back- How to set up an Effective defence. Centre Backs.

laffles

Reaction score
Theres plenty of Goalscoring tactics out there, but very few solid, defensive tactics.
This is because it takes more thought and effort to create a brilliant defence than to bang goals in up top.

People rarely look past Stopper/Cover in modern day football. This is an effective system if done well, but does not combine well with a high D-line or High Pressing football.

Im going to show you different ways of setting up your defence, to get the most out of them in your prefered tactic.

Route 1-Stopper/Cover

I know, seems abit strange to start with the system I just critiscised above. I wasn't criticising the system itself, only the way its become abused in most tactics.

Stopper/Cover is a fairly self explanatory system. One Centre Back with a STOPPER duty and their partner on COVER. The Stopper aims to Move slightly ahead of their partner, cutting out attacks at the source, while the Cover man aims to do just that, Cover the stoppers aggressive defending. He will look to sweep up through balls and crosses that get past the stopper.

To get the most out of this system it is important to follow these guidelines-

-Zonal Marking, Not Man or the cover defender will not function correctly.

-NEVER play offside trap with Stopper/Cover, its highly ineffective due to the mixed aggression line.

-Do not play a hugely high D-Line or again the Cover Man wont perform properly, Normal or Deep are recomended.

If done properly Stopper/Cover can be hugely effective, providing a solid defence against a large variety of Attacking lines.

Best Used in formations like the 4-4-2 or flat 4-3-3 doesn't require a Defensive Midfielder and allows for a fairly attack minded midfield. A good system for those who seek balance.

ADVANTAGES
- Good Defence against Variety
- Balanced Backline
- Sets up Counter Attacks well

Route 2-The Offside Trap

For those who love attacking, high pressure football the offside trap defence is for you.
It allows for a high pressure, High d-line defence while keeping you safe in the knowledge that most counter attacks/through passes from your opponent will be stopped almost immediately through the offside trap.

Another that is easy to set up. 2 LIMITED DEFENDERS (Important) on defend, with a High D-Line and High Pressing. Using Limited defenders is important as they will concede less fouls/cards that usually come with a high pressure system.

For this system MAN marking is recomended so your CB's will stick to there man and then step forward at the correct time, resulting in the trap.

Best Used in High Pressure systems. Attack Minded 4-2-4, 4-5-1 and Flat 4-3-3 will benefit best from this. Again, defensive midfielder not required in the 4-5-1 so you can really press the assault.

Advantages of the Offside Trap Defence are as such

-Allows for a high pressure game while keeping a strong defence

-Higher D-Line will result in your Cb's winning the ball higher up the pitch therefore increasing pressure

-Slow Strikers will be decimated by this system as they dont have the pace to 'Break' the offside trap

Route 3-Superdeep Defence

A rarely seen system in Modern Football, Most recently used by Jose in his Chelsea days.
The Superdeep Defence is Incredibly hard to breakdown and initiates Counter-Attacks like no other system.

To set up a SD defence your going to want to-

- Play a deep D-line

- Play it Narrow and through the middle

- More Cautious Tackling and Stand Off Pressing

All of these allow the opponent to play football ahead of your D-Line yet will run into a wall of Bodies when they try to play towards goal. It will make your team super difficult to break down at the expense of pressure higher up the field. Its important to have the Counter attack option ticked with this system to give you maximum benefit of drawing you opponent on to you. Again, as above, the Double Limited Defenders on defend are the partnership of choice.

Best used by weaker/counter attacking teams. Will need a Defensive Mid to stop the opponent waring you down to much and to provide the link between attack and midfield. 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 Deep and the 4-1-1-3-1 will all benefit from this system :)

Hope this helps you lot.
Feedback Please :)

Last edited:
might use the Superdeep Defence system for my counter attack formation

Thanks for the information and i find this very useful!!!
Cheers mate!

Very helpful. I never play stopper/cover anyway, so maybe I will get round to it at some point when I'm not using a high Dline. Good job.

Very helpful. I never play stopper/cover anyway, so maybe I will get round to it at some point when I'm not using a high Dline. Good job.

never players Stopper/Cover either, you'd think i would given i have Rio and Vidic.

Superdeep invites serious pressure if the Opp plays control and has technical mids, they will pin you back, tire you out and ping in long shots/the occaisonal perfect chance

Interesting thread. One thing I do miss though, are hints and tips about in what formations the different defence system works best. Information on if its a good choice to use the superdeep defence when having 2 attacking minded MCs, having no anchorman man/ DMC working from behind etc etc. If being able to read the match engine well and have a good understanding of the game mechanism, its clear, but for those that the thread is aimed at, I think that this information is crucial and would help a lot.

Cheers

Last edited:
Interesting thread. One thing I do miss though, are hints and tips about in what formations the different defence system works best. Information on if its a good choice to use the superdeep defence when having 2 attacking minded MCs, having no anchorman man/ DMC working from behind etc etc. If being able to read the match engine well and have a good understanding of the game mechanism, its clear, but for those that the thread is aimed at, I think that this information is crucial and would help a lot.

Cheers

Will Do, Im gonna do one about Fullbacks/Wingbacks in a bit too :)

For Stopper/Cover what role should the CBs have? (ie. Limited Defender/Central Defender/Ball Playing Defender).

Route 3 need an anchorman/DMC since leave too many gaps in front of my defenders and since there are too many gaps, we need to play long ball to launch counter-attack. And make sure, your pitch is minimum/standart size.

It works for me ! Nice Thread, bud !

For Stopper/Cover what role should the CBs have? (ie. Limited Defender/Central Defender/Ball Playing Defender).

Any, Just depends on your Cb's. E.g Ferdinand and Vidic are a Ball Playing and Central Defender respectively :)

I too have mine set to central defenders. But being Rotherham they do not have the best stats, so was wondering if I should make them Limited Defenders.

Theres plenty of Goalscoring tactics out there, but very few solid, defensive tactics.
This is because it takes more thought and effort to create a brilliant defence than to bang goals in up top.

People rarely look past Stopper/Cover in modern day football. This is an effective system if done well, but does not combine well with a high D-line or High Pressing football.

Im going to show you different ways of setting up your defence, to get the most out of them in your prefered tactic.

Route 1-Stopper/Cover

I know, seems abit strange to start with the system I just critiscised above. I wasn't criticising the system itself, only the way its become abused in most tactics.

Stopper/Cover is a fairly self explanatory system. One Centre Back with a STOPPER duty and their partner on COVER. The Stopper aims to Move slightly ahead of their partner, cutting out attacks at the source, while the Cover man aims to do just that, Cover the stoppers aggressive defending. He will look to sweep up through balls and crosses that get past the stopper.

To get the most out of this system it is important to follow these guidelines-

-Zonal Marking, Not Man or the cover defender will not function correctly.

-NEVER play offside trap with Stopper/Cover, its highly ineffective due to the mixed aggression line.

-Do not play a hugely high D-Line or again the Cover Man wont perform properly, Normal or Deep are recomended.

If done properly Stopper/Cover can be hugely effective, providing a solid defence against a large variety of Attacking lines.

Best Used in formations like the 4-4-2 or flat 4-3-3 doesn't require a Defensive Midfielder and allows for a fairly attack minded midfield. A good system for those who seek balance.

ADVANTAGES
- Good Defence against Variety
- Balanced Backline
- Sets up Counter Attacks well

Route 2-The Offside Trap

For those who love attacking, high pressure football the offside trap defence is for you.
It allows for a high pressure, High d-line defence while keeping you safe in the knowledge that most counter attacks/through passes from your opponent will be stopped almost immediately through the offside trap.

Another that is easy to set up. 2 LIMITED DEFENDERS (Important) on defend, with a High D-Line and High Pressing. Using Limited defenders is important as they will concede less fouls/cards that usually come with a high pressure system.

For this system MAN marking is recomended so your CB's will stick to there man and then step forward at the correct time, resulting in the trap.

Best Used in High Pressure systems. Attack Minded 4-2-4, 4-5-1 and Flat 4-3-3 will benefit best from this. Again, defensive midfielder not required in the 4-5-1 so you can really press the assault.

Advantages of the Offside Trap Defence are as such

-Allows for a high pressure game while keeping a strong defence

-Higher D-Line will result in your Cb's winning the ball higher up the pitch therefore increasing pressure

-Slow Strikers will be decimated by this system as they dont have the pace to 'Break' the offside trap

Route 3-Superdeep Defence

A rarely seen system in Modern Football, Most recently used by Jose in his Chelsea days.
The Superdeep Defence is Incredibly hard to breakdown and initiates Counter-Attacks like no other system.

To set up a SD defence your going to want to-

- Play a deep D-line

- Play it Narrow and through the middle

- More Cautious Tackling and Stand Off Pressing

All of these allow the opponent to play football ahead of your D-Line yet will run into a wall of Bodies when they try to play towards goal. It will make your team super difficult to break down at the expense of pressure higher up the field. Its important to have the Counter attack option ticked with this system to give you maximum benefit of drawing you opponent on to you. Again, as above, the Double Limited Defenders on defend are the partnership of choice.

Best used by weaker/counter attacking teams. Will need a Defensive Mid to stop the opponent waring you down to much and to provide the link between attack and midfield. 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 Deep and the 4-1-1-3-1 will all benefit from this system :)

Hope this helps you lot.
Feedback Please :)

laffles you mentioned that the route 2 system is better in 424 451 and Flat 433 formation how would do in a 4231 formation with the two midfielders in the central midfielder position

laffles you mentioned that the route 2 system is better in 424 451 and Flat 433 formation how would do in a 4231 formation with the two midfielders in the central midfielder position

1. Pacey-defender/intelligent defender = high D-line
2. Slow-defender/Physical defender = low/normal D-line

offside-trap just optional.

I am playing has Arsenal and my two central defenders are vermalean and kolcieny. I think they both have pace 0f 14 each. Djorou will be my back up defender and I thinking of either buying Mario Fernandes or the Greek defender from Schalke. How do you think Vermalean and Kolcieny will fit in Route 2 offside trap with their pace of 14.

High D-line in a 4-2-3-1. That's what it's all about.

Yeah, Route 2 is for High Attack Formations. 4-2-3-1 is one of the most aggressive out there only behind the 4-1-2-3. :)

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

This is incredibly untrue. The type of defenders you have shouldn't have any effect on your d-line. Your mentality is what dictates that.

By your logic you could play a contain strategy with a high D-line just because you have faster CB's? Makes no sense.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

I am playing has Arsenal and my two central defenders are vermalean and kolcieny. I think they both have pace 0f 14 each. Djorou will be my back up defender and I thinking of either buying Mario Fernandes or the Greek defender from Schalke. How do you think Vermalean and Kolcieny will fit in Route 2 offside trap with their pace of 14.

Definately consider Mario Fernandes, He's so good its untrue. And yes, they would fit. Only use it if your going to press though, no use if your playing defensively.

thanks for sharing :D love it ! but one question :p call me a noob or whatever ... but in "Route 2-The Offside Trap" what do you mean with limited defenders ? :D

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

just forget it ... i found it out .... :p

1.What playing style do manchester united usually adopt? As in what options for passing style, creative freedom, closing down, tackling, marking, crossing and roaming?

2.Also can someone please explain how roaming works, also wouldn't a rigid philosophy just cancel out the roaming?

3. In terms or Man uniteds defenders do they adapt a stopper/cover partnership?

4. I guess seeing as im united counter attack should be ticked, but what should i have for width, tempo, defensive line and focus passing?

I was going to set out like this:

4-2-4 Starting philosophy Attack/ Overload (control against big teams)

Passing: Direct
Creative Freedom: Default
Closing down: Stand off more
Tackling: Default
Marking: Zonal
Crossing: Default
Roaming: Default

Please if someone could offer help!