England66

Reaction score
I was wondering what you thought about using Jones as a CM B2B midfielder. Due to the high amounts of quality defenders I thought it would be a good idea to solve the midfield crisis at United with Jones. I feel the amount of quality he has would be wasted at CB as there are many good players who can play that position already at United. He is good for filling in but I feel that a CM role would suit him more. Any advice or suggestions on this?

I sometimes play him as a CM with a role of BWM

I sometimes play him as a CM with a role of BWM

I was considering that to start with and then moving into a more all round role as he has the ability to score and create a few chances I think whilst also doing the job defensively.

I was considering that to start with and then moving into a more all round role as he has the ability to score and create a few chances I think whilst also doing the job defensively.
Yes he could he averaged a 7.34 for me and scored 12 goals

Could work yeah. He has awesome all round potential really.

I used him for England as a BWM for about 15 years and he was monstrous.

Only thing I would suggest is to constrict his shots on goal, he's probably best for holding up play around the 18yd box rather than having a pop (like Gerrard, the quintessential box-to-boxer).

Could work yeah. He has awesome all round potential really.

I used him for England as a BWM for about 15 years and he was monstrous.

Only thing I would suggest is to constrict his shots on goal, he's probably best for holding up play around the 18yd box rather than having a pop (like Gerrard, the quintessential box-to-boxer).

Thanks for the advice, so would suggest training PPM - look for pass?

i think Phil Jones ia a good B2B in real life but i really hope he becomes a 1st choice CB for Man Utd and England i think he will captain both!

i think Phil Jones ia a good B2B in real life but i really hope he becomes a 1st choice CB for Man Utd and England i think he will captain both!

He will defo captain United imo, however I don't think will captain England as everyone is pressing for Wilshere as Cap.

Thanks for the advice, so would suggest training PPM - look for pass?

Put the PPM on him if you want. I seem to remember his passing being pretty good and with his physical and mental stats ending up being more than solid, he'd be a good choice to hold up the ball.

I'd highly recommend using him as a BWM instead of a BBM as I've found myself to have much more success when using him as a BWM. I put him on Support instead of Defend (which people seem to normally do) and he worked wonders in my midfield with Lucas Romero (who was also a BWM-Support), scoring plenty and breaking up play brilliantly. The one slight problem with using him like this is that he does pick up quite a lot of bookings though, more than a usual BWM does anyways.

I'd highly recommend using him as a BWM instead of a BBM as I've found myself to have much more success when using him as a BWM. I put him on Support instead of Defend (which people seem to normally do) and he worked wonders in my midfield with Lucas Romero (who was also a BWM-Support), scoring plenty and breaking up play brilliantly. The one slight problem with using him like this is that he does pick up quite a lot of bookings though, more than a usual BWM does anyways.

Thanks for the advice, will try him like that and see how it goes. May I ask though, why did you play 2 BWM S in mf? Also did you play a 3 man mf?

Put the PPM on him if you want. I seem to remember his passing being pretty good and with his physical and mental stats ending up being more than solid, he'd be a good choice to hold up the ball.

Thanks I will have a look, only problem I can see with him personally is he seems to push forward a lot more than most midfielders, which isn't a problem as such but can often lead to the team being exposed so the midfield pairing (I only play 2 in the mf unlike most) has to be chosen carefully, with Carrick along side him it is perfect, but put Cleverley in and then you have a problem.

Thanks for the advice, will try him like that and see how it goes. May I ask though, why did you play 2 BWM S in mf? Also did you play a 3 man mf?

Well I had a save as Stoke on the original update and to start with I played a 4 man diamond midfield with 2 BWM-S, an AP-A and a DLP-D out of necessity but then I just kept it as it was working nicely, it was like this:

GK
RB CB CB LB
DLP-D
BWM-S BWM-S
AP-A
ST ST

Eventually I changed it when regens started to come in but that was my formation for a good 5 or 6 seasons

Well I had a save as Stoke on the original update and to start with I played a 4 man diamond midfield with 2 BWM-S, an AP-A and a DLP-D out of necessity but then I just kept it as it was working nicely, it was like this:

GK
RB CB CB LB
DLP-D
BWM-S BWM-S
AP-A
ST ST

Eventually I changed it when regens started to come in but that was my formation for a good 5 or 6 seasons

I see, yeah was gonna say I can't see how can play 2 BWM S unless in more than a 2 man midfield. In my United save I am playing a 442 or a 4411 as such have to select the midfield pairing wisely, more often than not you sacrifice possession for better chances or I found that till recently. My midfield for me was more about breaking down attacks and stopping play than creating which was left to the wings. Which in a way worked nicely. Also meant not having to buy those expensive creative players ;) just the cheap chops anything that moves players. Hence why Jones came to mind about the midfield centre role as an aging Carrick can't play for ever (although in some respects I wish he could)

I see, yeah was gonna say I can't see how can play 2 BWM S unless in more than a 2 man midfield. In my United save I am playing a 442 or a 4411 as such have to select the midfield pairing wisely, more often than not you sacrifice possession for better chances or I found that till recently. My midfield for me was more about breaking down attacks and stopping play than creating which was left to the wings. Which in a way worked nicely. Also meant not having to buy those expensive creative players ;) just the cheap chops anything that moves players. Hence why Jones came to mind about the midfield centre role as an aging Carrick can't play for ever (although in some respects I wish he could)

In a 442 or 4411 I'd still recommend him as a BWM, he'll break up play and get in the box brilliantly for you. You can always have a creative player next to him but he really is amazing as a BWM in my opinion. I tried him as a BBM on my stoke save for a while (was trying out new things) and he just didn't really work for me, maybe it was because I got him a few seasons in so couldn't really have an impact on his stats and his dribbling was just too poor at that time (think it was 8 :/)

In a 442 or 4411 I'd still recommend him as a BWM, he'll break up play and get in the box brilliantly for you. You can always have a creative player next to him but he really is amazing as a BWM in my opinion. I tried him as a BBM on my stoke save for a while (was trying out new things) and he just didn't really work for me, maybe it was because I got him a few seasons in so couldn't really have an impact on his stats and his dribbling was just too poor at that time (think it was 8 :/)

Wow, AI management ruined him by the sounds of it, on mine he is a tank in all areas tbh, the only stat that is even slightly worrying is his off the ball stat at 10 everything else is 12+