"A very key aspect of the 4-4-2 of 2000-2006 was how Wenger made the left midfield the inside playmaker and the left striker an inside forward, Pires was an advanced playmaker playing ML or AML, and Henry at times was a complete forward, at times an inside forward playing AML, thus Pires could move to AMC or FC, it's how Arsenal's counter-attack was so deadly, the scissor movement of Henry and Pires was enough for most teams."

cheers for that

No problem, see what I mean about being very fluid?

No problem, see what I mean about being very fluid?

Should what would the position of Henry and Pires

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Would Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg have free roles

Should what would the position of Henry and Pires

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Would Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg have free roles

Pires certainly would as either a Wide Midfielder - Attack, as with Henry in a Complete Forward - Attack role, but not sure whether Ljungberg would, he was pretty much an out and out winger, you could adjust his settings (if needed) to make more forward runs..

I know this is a bit off-topic but would anybody be able to get me an image (like above) of the liverpool champions league winning side ('05) and please pm it to me, I fancy making a tactic like that.

I know this is a bit off-topic but would anybody be able to get me an image (like above) of the liverpool champions league winning side ('05) and please pm it to me, I fancy making a tactic like that.

what the zonal marking one

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:15 PM ----------

looking at the zonal marking pic do cole and lauren look like there in the wingback postions

Last edited:
Very nice post man. I'm an arsenal fan and i remember the team very well. Pires was a Wide Midfielder ML and also the playmaker of the team. I remember him coming from very deep to get the ball. He was the first player that the goalie was looking to distribute the ball. So set the wide play of cole to "hug the line" and Pires to "cut inside". Also Ljungberg didn't hug the line so much (Lauren did) so set hit to "move into channels". Finally i don't think that arsenal played so much the short passing game they play today. I think they had a much quicker approach than today... so maybe default passing?