elbonf

Reaction score
I find that my club (Wrexham) keeps losing money every month. I am well inside my wages budget under £5,000 from allocated by board, only signing free transfers however when looking at my finances the largest drain on them is referred to as "Additional Costs" which i have no idea how to tackle or what they are from ( my guess is ground maintenance) any ideas on how to reduce this would be welcome. I am deliberately avoiding promotion to the championship as i would not be able to compete until i sort this out.

Yeah, lower league clubs lose money left, right, and centre. The easiest thing to do is get promoted as quickly as possible [yeah, I know it's obvious].. But, going on a long cup run can also bring in a lot of money.. Away games in the FA cup against even the smallest Premier League club can generate £250,000.

You want promotions. Promotions bring in more money. Just keep doing well. Also it might be cause your stadium is not selling out yet, or is too small. Despite being under 5K for wages its still probably be offset from the lack of tickets (or small seating).

Personally don't worry about if you go in the red. One of three things can happen, and two are really good.

1. Board will inject money into the club (will take you out of the red, but at the start of the next year you will be back in red)
2. Owner will sell the team and hopefully new owner will inject money into the club (usually happens if you are in the red)
3. You will take out a loan. Still not too bad, but having to pay it back means you will still be in the red if you don't keep getting promoted

Thanks for replies, i will push for the championship and try to compete with free transfers and keep the top performers from the current squad.

Do you have a parent club? They can bring in a bit of extra money, but some boards (like mine) hate the idea of them.

In pre-season, and during international breaks, organise a few friendlies against big clubs to bring in a bit of money. If you lose, it can damage moral, so be wary. Pre-season I try to get a few big friendlies followed by a couple of easy games to get players on track for the season.

Promoted to Championship & board have sanctioned 5000 extra seats i will have a 15000 all seater stadium half way through the season and they have also anounced a link with Arsenal. Things are looking good at the moment. Still about -200k in the red but manageable.

Also remember when you do finally hit the ELP that is when the money from standings plus the nice little TV deal you have. First year I doubt you will be in the red unless you spend it on players to try to stay up.