1. Intro
2. The title
3. The tactic
4. Player breakdown
5. Achievements
6. Miscellaneous
7. Outro

1. INTRO

Hands up who wants to create 3+CCC and 6 half chances per match with 60% possession… take a look as I take a bow!!!

This will be my third tactical upload this year and the final release before FM18 (which is less than 100 days to go!!!!) this tactic will follow in the same vein as my other tactics as it will be STRIKERLESS again and follow the same mantra of what Ruud Gullit calls “sexy football”… if you want just to go to the tactic and play then you can just scroll to the bottom and play away… I would however ask you take the 5 minutes to read the article and truly understand the tactic on HOW & WHY the tactic works and how much detail has gone in to creating this MONSTER!!!!

View attachment 87148

2. THE TITLE

The name was chosen by how the team perform when attacking which works in 2 distinct stages, the first being NFL side… where the DLP (THE QUARTERBACK) has the ball roughly on the edge of the centre circle and will have no less than 6 options to play the forward and 3 recycle options to the CBs, the DLP can play the ball wide to the WB’s who are pinning the full backs in from pushing out, the AP will drop into the hole bringing a defender out which the CM can exploit with a pass round the corner which is tow of the options, the SS will push on the back line looking for a through ball and the AM will rush space in behind or show short for the ball depending on what the AP and CM do, if the CM shows for the ball short then the AM will push on and the AP will move into the position that the AM had taken up, the DLP will have time on the ball and if the opposition rush the DLP then he will look to offload quickly but always look to recycle rather than play a risky ball forward as per the player and team instructions set…

The RUGBY side… this is the more predominate of the 2 phases as the overload happens more often than you think but that is what the tactic is designed to do… move the defensive line to create space for a player to exploit… typically the ball will start with one of the WBs,
LWB – 1. the ball will usually come inside to the DLP and on inside to the AM who can put through the SS with the space that he has created OR a simple lay off to the AP who then threads the ball into the space that the CB or FB has left to the on rushing CM or RWB
2. comes inside to the DLP who plays it square to the CM who plays it simple to the AP who then threads to the RWB following the rugby line or can switch to the AM or SS who have cut across the defensive line into the space created
RWB – 1. Comes inside to CM, then laid off to AP who can either play in the AM or RWB, if AM has come short then he can play the short ball to the AM who then can play the SS or LWB or reverse to RWB who all should be attacking space…
2. comes inside to AP, then either plays across the line to AM, drops ball back to DLP or very rarely goes for the “Hollywood” ball to the SS or LWB, if across the line to AM then they can play the SS or LWB or reverse to CM or RWB who all should be attacking space in behind, if the DLP is chosen then he will play ball inside to AM for same as above or move the ball wide to LWB who will attack by-line and put a ball into the near post where the SS will be attacking

3. THE TACTIC

View attachment 87153View attachment 87152

So as you can see this a 3 at the back system with attacking wing backs and BALANCE PIVOT in midfield and 3 swarming attacking midfielders who chase the ball down and stay close for intricate play when in possession which is always nice to watch and nearly impossible to defend against… the CBs spread across the pitch when in possession to create options for the DLP if he is pressured and will look to play the ball out from the back rather than lumping it (although they will pop up with the odd assist with the “Hollywood” ball over a high defensive line), the pivot in midfield consists of the DLP and a CM, the DLP defends like a BWM but is also allowed the creative freedom to pull all the strings like a Quarterback in the NFL, the CM originally started life as a BWM on support but didn’t show for the ball enough when in possession which ruined the flow of the tactic and same for the tried BBM they push on too much, the CM on support however shows for the ball and the positions that he gets in when pushing forward because they are more delayed seem to create better chances and more goals too… the wingbacks are set to just pin in the defence back and make sure that the possession keeps ticking over and when the cross is required tends to find a man more often than not due to the sheer numbers that are attacking the box… the 3 AM are given distinctive roles that keep the fluidity of the team, 1 pushing on keeping the defenders backed up, one dropping deep to receive the ball from deeper and the middle one doing a little bit of everything like another hybrid linking the entire attack together.

When defending the team narrows in removing space vertically, the team is set to drop deeper which applies to everyone other than the 3 AMs as they are set to challenge the back line not allowing the opposition to play out from the back… the defenders will either have to play through the 3 AMs or play it long, if they play through, if they go wide to a winger then our WB will be straight in to engage, if they go through the middle then the 2 CMs will engage while the CB will maintain a 3 strong wall… if they go long the 3 CBs have dropped deep so it’s an easy header down to either the WB, CB or CM whichever is the safest option…

4. PLAYER BREAKDOWN

GK – the goalkeeper is set to sweeper keeper on support, they simply put are a shot stopper, they will distribute short to CB or if marked will go to WB or DLP but never long unless chasing a goal

CB – the wall, defensively they flood the box reducing any space for the opposition to attack as the ball is going to come in from crosses (got to love FM) one will cover the front post one the back and then one in the six yard box, because they drop deep balls over the top or through aren’t an issue but I do prefer my defenders quick and tall, (best attr – jumping reach, acceleration, tackling, marking and positioning)

WB – these guys are the only source of width in the team so they need to be quick to cover the ground and have the physicality to do it for 90 minutes, defensively they simply harass the opposition number if the ball goes out there and tuck in to cover any deep crosses to the other side, when attacking as stated above they will get to the by-line and put the ball in but primarily they will get on the end of chances as the overlapping player like in RUGBY (best attr – acceleration, stamina, work rate, tackling, dribbling, and finishing/crossing)

DLP – as this guy is a hybrid between a BWM and a DLP he needs to cover a lot of ground but need to be smart when moving focussing on being available to receive the ball an only works in X-AXIS… in defence they will act as another body in the box when the ball is played in from crosses to cut out the option of an onrushing midfielder, if the ball is in the middle of the park they will harass whoever has the ball to win it back and get an attack going… in attack this guy is the QUARTERBACK, dictating the pace and the direction of the attack or to keep the ball safe to reset and go again he will not necessarily rack up assists because typically this guy is the pass before the assist ball but he is crucial to everything that the team does both in attack and defence hence the PIVOT (best attr – stamina, work rate, teamwork, positioning, composure, tackling, passing and first touch)

CM – as explained above they will be a box to box ball winning midfielder, who still shows for the ball like a playmaker working in the Y-AXIS, this guy needs to be as quick as the wing back with the work rate to boot, in defence they will act in the same as the DLP harassing the player on the ball in the middle of the park, when the ball is wide and due to be crossed in the CM will sit on the edge of the box waiting for the pull back from the winger or waiting to pounce on the clearance from the CB, in attack they will show for the ball but if the AP shows then they will move past them and into the space created for the AP/DLP to play the through ball, if the ball is with the WB then they will attack the box from deep, being able to ghost in unmarked and score quite a few goals… (best attr – acceleration, stamina, work rate, tackling, first touch, finishing)

AP – this guy is the advanced pivot, or the “FALSE QUARTERBACK” he will drop deep to receive the ball from the DLP and then look for the killer ball into the space that he has created… in defence he will sit slightly deeper than the centre circle and challenge the fullback or DM or CB depending on where the ball is, he works in tandem with the other AMs to close the ball down while also limiting the passing options that the player on the ball has encouraging the ball to go long for the CB to clean up, in attack if he isn’t dropping deep then he will work the RUGBY line and because his starting position is deeper is harder to pick up by the defenders which means he will see a lot of chances… (best attr – off the ball, first touch, vision, passing, composure, decisions stamina, work rate, acceleration)

AM – the WITHDRAWN TARGET MAN in attack he holds up the ball and plays simple passes along the RUGBY line and gets on the end of chances in the box from crosses attacking the same post regardless of where the ball is (LWB – far post, RWB – near post), he will react to the movement of the AP i.e. if the AP drops then he will spearhead the attack in the space provided, if the AP is pushed on or encroaching his current position then he will drop deep for the short ball… in defence he will sit slightly deeper than the centre circle and challenge the DM or CB depending on where the ball is and will drop deeper if the holding mid is in the CM position, he works in tandem with the other AMs to close the ball down while also limiting the passing options that the player on the ball has encouraging the ball to go long for the CB to clean up (best attr – first touch, strength, off the ball, jumping reach, finishing, composure and anticipation)

SS – the WITHDRAWN POACHER in attack they will push the defensive line and be the focal point of the attack being on the end of most early through balls so pace and finishing are essential, leading to a lot of one on ones, this player doesn’t get involved with the build-up too often other than carrying the ball forward with a view of crossing the ball early and forcing the issue on the counter or right up to the defensive line and then laying off for the supporting players… in defence he will sit slightly higher than the centre circle line and challenge the fullback or CB depending on where the ball is, he works in tandem with the other AMs to close the ball down while also limiting the passing options that the player on the ball has encouraging the ball to go long for the CB to clean up… (best attr – acceleration, off the ball, first touch, finishing, dribbling, composure, anticipation)

5. ACHIEVEMENTS

Current season – notts county (2018-2019) 1st season in championship – predicted to finish 22nd?!?
View attachment 87154View attachment 87177

Championship – not a bad season eh?
View attachment 87176View attachment 87175View attachment 87174View attachment 87173

EFL cup – won it after finishing runner up last time (some peachy results in there)
View attachment 87172View attachment 87171View attachment 87170View attachment 87169

Europa league (runner up year before in league 1!!!!) – won it… in some style take a look… this tactic can be disgusting at times
View attachment 87165View attachment 87166View attachment 87167View attachment 87168View attachment 87164

Just to prove that it’s the tactic and not the team I have, below is my squad, my best 11 and best player in the key positions (1CB, 1WB, 1DLP, 1AP, 1AM, 1SS) including the GOD that is SAMMY AMEOBI!!!!
View attachment 87161View attachment 87160View attachment 87159View attachment 87158View attachment 87157View attachment 87156View attachment 87162View attachment 87155

6. MISCELLANEOUS

a. Corner taker for both sides should be set to the AP for OP assists

b. If yellow cards at 60 mins for either CM or WB take them off immediately at that point.

c. If red card occurs, swap with the AM (centre) and keep everything else the same

d. Training – pre-season match tactics on full and team cohesion on high and mid-season defensive set pieces on two clicks from the left and attacking on high or normal

e. As this is STRIKERLESS you have a choice to make with wingers and strikers, you can sell them for profit or retrain them AMC on the Shadow striker duty… I tend to retrain but I’m in lower league and money is tight… I have on occasion retrained wingers to play wingback as long as they have good stamina and work rate (think Valencia at man utd)

f. If you are finding that your conceding too many fouls and picking up too many cards then take off the get stuck in part.. it’s a simple fix but it can make the team lose their bite when defending and then the opposition will have time to pick apart the team but as with anything it’s a trial and error situation… high risk high reward is my motto, as long as you manage your subs correctly everything should be fine…

g. If no cards at 60-70 mins make triple sub… take off both CM and 1 WB or both WB and 1 CM you want them to not pick up silly cards in the late stages

h. Pitch size – I usually keep this to the smallest it possibly can be but I have played with max pitch size and the only difference is more it creates more crosses for the opposition and doesn’t change the attacking of this tactic… so for the first time a bloke is saying smaller is better…

7. OUTRO

There we have it… there it is in all its glory… this tactic I would say is the most consistent and fun tactic I have created on FM this year and for the past couple of seasons back to my SALT n PEPPER days (good times)… I hope you enjoy it as much as I have, if you have any questions or think of any tweaks to improve the tactic then please share them in the comments and please if you are using the tactic can you post screen shots of how you’re getting on to let me know that you’re enjoying the tactic as much as I have…

View attachment 87148

Last edited:
Could be missing something, is there a download link?

Or similar to Strikerless (website) you don't offer one?

Enjoyed your tactics in previous years

Sorry the OP is amazing, just missed the main thing ha

thanks, I do love to write a solid OP, gives a tactic an extra dimension... hate it when the uploader puts a few screen shots up with the link with no explanation as to how it works... but at least they attach the tactic... we are all human after all lol

I put the tactic in twice to make sure its there

Tactic looks really interesting and the OP has so much information. Really nice.

I will try testing it, thanks for sharing

Tactic looks really interesting and the OP has so much information. Really nice.

I will try testing it, thanks for sharing

thanks much appreciated... not having the detail on the OP is like having chocolate concrete without the custard (english referrance)

Excellent OP.

And I never thought I'd see the day when there'd be an NFL link to an FM formation/tactic. As soon as I saw the title I clicked the thread immediately due to being a lover of NFL football (Dolphins fan for my sins) and being an ex-player of the Brit league (used to be left Cornerback/Free Safety). I was expecting references to ILB blitzing or OLB coverage lol

Excellent OP.

And I never thought I'd see the day when there'd be an NFL link to an FM formation/tactic. As soon as I saw the title I clicked the thread immediately due to being a lover of NFL football (Dolphins fan for my sins) and being an ex-player of the Brit league (used to be left Cornerback/Free Safety). I was expecting references to ILB blitzing or OLB coverage lol

It really is a superb OP.

This is a good read as well - https://community.sigames.com/topic/405066-american-football/

Dolphins finished 6th in the league in my save.. :p

View attachment 87135

Last edited:
Holy **** I am behind the times lol. Definitely going to give that thread a read later on

Last edited:
great op

do you use always standard mentality?

Thanks man...

Yes always on standard it allows the team to adapt to any situation. .. I. E. If needing a goal they will push more or conserving a lead will look to retain the ball... this tactic is more designed for a control setting but if needing a goal you have to physic ally change the mentality which ruins the plug and play element

gonna try this in my long save with spurs

Well as a spurs fan they have probs the best team in the league to make this tactic work... retrain Harry kane as an amc on SS in the middle of the three... but if your too far past I still wish you the best of luck