Current Match Engine - And What Has Been Reported

Danwolf

Reaction score
I've scoured the depth's of the bug board on SI to find replies from staff to what they're looking at, and well here they are in one lovely place.

There's just a couple at least, and hopefully these will be improved upon however you have to remember, whatever SI change there's always a knock-on to something else. The joys of coding.

I also tweeted out a snip of this thread to Miles and got a response. If they're under review they'll be with the QA team so hopefully they spot the same things.
Miles Jacobson said:
https://twitter.com/milesSI
If they’re under review then our QA team will be looking at them.

And please, if you are experiencing other issues within FM20 make sure you report them!

Last edited:
I have reported them, and because I reported them with frustration and criticised them even releasing the game with these bugs, they've banned me form the forum - for a month.

Idiots. They have 100% lost a long serving customer (since Championship Manager 2). Anybody have any idea when this game will actually be playable?

I have reported them, and because I reported them with frustration and criticised them even releasing the game with these bugs, they've banned me form the forum - for a month.

Idiots. They have 100% lost a long serving customer (since Championship Manager 2). Anybody have any idea when this game will actually be playable?

I can still get by on the game, do think you just have to mix things up more than before and accept some odd behavior but hopefully it'll be cleaned up and ironed out.

Looks like SI are aware at the least judging from this is a quote from one of the devs from Steam (he also posted it somewhere on the SI forums).

Neil Brock;3124867196129790171 said:
Just posted this over on the SI Forums and feel it's worth stating here as well:

To clarify, any issue raised on our bug forums, whether large or small is investigated by our team. We won't always have time to respond and given the nature of software development we can't always set exact time-frames of updates. Likewise whilst we may be making progress on certain issues, there's always the chance of problems being found so have to be careful with regards to releasing information on things considered 'work in progress'.

Specifically focusing on the match engine - it is extremely complex as we've said a number of times before and even the most seemingly minor fix has the potential of completely changing the dynamic of the engine. As we work on it each change requires significant testing so there's never a quick or easy improvement. We always feel as though the match engine can be improved and have never claimed it's perfect - but we do feel it's the closest representation to real life football available in a game or simulation and will always continue to make it even better.

We're very much aware of some of the issues raised within the community and they are of course being considered and investigated alongside everything else.

godly gk and missing 1 on 1s are most annoying and i'm pretty sure it won't be any fix until march patch :(

Are there any issue's when you play with Instant Result mode?

Are there any issue's when you play with Instant Result mode?
I'd assume it would be the same if you watch the highlights. Could be wrong.

Also big post from Neil incoming:

Neil Brock said:
There's a number of issues which have been raised by the community, but having spoken to the match team in more depth, there's a few things on the radar. With one-on-ones it's not as simple as say 'players are missing too many', first of all, why are they missing them? Are they ignoring players in better positions and taking on shots from worse angles? Sometimes yes. But then we can't always have the players making the right decisions every time as that isn't realistic either. It's a real balancing act. We can't just up their ability to score one on ones, it's not that simplistic. But yes, conversion and how these chances are taken is something we're looking at.

We're also aware that defending longer balls through the middle requires attention and appreciate everyone who has raised examples. We've also seen a number of people raise issues with missed penalties. This is more of an odd one as our stats taken over thousands of seasons to get an average suggest that the overall number of penalties converted per season is about right - so we've got a bit more of a theory that perhaps there's an issue specifically with highly rated penalty takers. This is something under review, but as with everything else it's not always quite as obvious as it seems.

We're also aware of an issue related to clear cut chances being record inaccurately - sometimes chances are being marked as CCC when if you watch them back they may be considered half chances or even less. This is giving an inflated view that lots of chances are being missed which should be scored. That's not to try and say that conversion rates are perfect and it's just the stats showing it wrong, but we do think this could do with some tweaking alongside the match AI. Just because I've not mentioned other specifics doesn't mean other issues are being ignored. There are hundreds of areas we'd like to try and improve, some of which are more realistic than others given our resources. What we always aim for is a balanced, fair match engine which outputs the kinds of results which the appropriate team strengths and tactical setups should be achieving. We do feel like we have that now, but of course we're aware of feedback and as said, are always striving to improve the game where we can.

Realistically the match engine is not an easy area of the game to improve and given the amount of work and testing required to make sure any changes do as we expect and don't have any knock-ons, we're going to need time. Whilst the old adage of never say never, with the holidays approaching it's unlikely we'll be able to release any further changes to the match engine until the New Year. We really do appreciate anyone who takes the time to raise any issue or add additional examples via the match engine bug forums. We'll still be adding to and logging new issues into our bugs database to make sure everything is recorded and can be investigated by our match team. Appreciate those who take the time to read these types of messages from us. We are busy so don't always have the time to respond to every post, but we do try to make sure as much as possible is read.

Also would appreciate at this time of year remember the Mods on the SI forums are volunteers. They're not paid for helping out, they do so as they just want people to try and enjoy the game and when on those forums, be able to engage with each other in the best way possible. Likewise on the Steam forums, people who post here want to be able to communicate and talk about the game.

Whilst you don't always have to agree with us at SI or other users please try to respect their opinions. Likewise everyone at SI tries to respect your opinions, even if they're critical of us. All we'd ask is if you are criticising please try and keep it constructive. We don't want to be in a position where we're restricting anyone's access to any forums, but direct attacks on other users or the development team won't be tolerated.

Cheers.

Dan is this for bugs or can be reported everything we think it need improvement?

Besides all of reported bugs, the mot annoying for me are player ratings. I win 5:0 and only players who scored/assisted have solid ratings, rest are under 7.0.
GK rating are also low even if i dont concede games ( that was case with FM19 too )

I made it more for being able to post what SI are currently doing, since I know there's some grievances within the community and the current match engine. So wanted to shed light on it.

With bugs otherwise though, it's a case of reporting them to SI. There's a template you can also use which should help!

Thanks for the round up of whats going on, I wasn't aware of some of the other problems that have been reported hopefully we'll get a patch sooner rather than later.

I can still get by on the game, do think you just have to mix things up more than before and accept some odd behavior but hopefully it'll be cleaned up and ironed out..

Thanks for your reply. As a Man City fan, and so Man City manager on FM, I quite simply cannot get by at all - only takes 3 or 4 bad results and I'm sacked. And not being able to score 90% of my chances, but the opposition scoring all of theirs, makes it very difficult to eve get past Christmas.

I've downloaded tactics that other people claim to be having success with but nothing is working - I simply can't play it until they have fixed it. So annoyed about it - sounds sad, but its a huge part of my life (particularly during winter when its cold and dark, and we just stay in), and this year it won't be ready until the New Year, and some are even saying not until March!!! The season ends in May! Totally unacceptable!

SI's forum posts on Steam are just defensive and patronising. Still not once have the apologised for this **** up, and if you dare to criticise them, they ban you from the forum. Amateur behaviour, really,

I'm 3 seasons in now. Biggest ME problems I've noticed are:

-One on one chance conversion - this is frankly terrible, I have highly rated attacking players yet are currently less than 10% conversion rate of one on ones (I'm recording them on a spreadsheet)

-Crossing - crossing is one of 2 things, either non existent (player will run to the byline and shoot, rather than simply slide the ball across the area to 2-3 onrushing players for a tap in) or absolutely terrible and never gets to the attacking player.

You guys have reported the issues right? Every report and example SI get helps.

Thanks for your reply. As a Man City fan, and so Man City manager on FM, I quite simply cannot get by at all - only takes 3 or 4 bad results and I'm sacked. And not being able to score 90% of my chances, but the opposition scoring all of theirs, makes it very difficult to eve get past Christmas.

I've downloaded tactics that other people claim to be having success with but nothing is working - I simply can't play it until they have fixed it. So annoyed about it - sounds sad, but its a huge part of my life (particularly during winter when its cold and dark, and we just stay in), and this year it won't be ready until the New Year, and some are even saying not until March!!! The season ends in May! Totally unacceptable!

SI's forum posts on Steam are just defensive and patronising. Still not once have the apologised for this **** up, and if you dare to criticise them, they ban you from the forum. Amateur behaviour, really,
Tbf, I've seen why you were booted and if you had been speaking to anyone like that on here you probably would have got yourself into a fair bit of trouble here too.

Going to the official forums and asking for people to be sacked isn't the smartest idea....

What sources do you need mate? Isnt enough to have most of away games draw or lose even if you outplay them and your players have 6.5 to 6.8 ratings?

And that not 2 or 3 games like on fm19 or earlier releases, its about 60-70% away games

I understand this as I have noticed it is a lot more difficult to win away games. However, it's hard to say it's 'bugged' as there have been away games where I shouldn't have won due to form or players I am missing but did and did by a clear 2-3 goals.

Tbf, I've seen why you were booted and if you had been speaking to anyone like that on here you probably would have got yourself into a fair bit of trouble here too.

Going to the official forums and asking for people to be sacked isn't the smartest idea....

I didn't ask for anybody to be sacked haha - I said somebody should be sacked for this mess. It's a figure of speech, as in somebody should be held accountable - as would be the case in any other business.