athertpa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what sort of defensive partnership you facoured?

2 x CB set to defend
Or do you go with a cover and a stopper?
How do you fit in a ball playing defender?

Just would like to encourage some discussion on these areas to see what you have found to work best.

I am currently playing as Man U and have the great partnership of Ferdinand and Vidic... but how to get the best out of them? that is the question

Can I have your thoughts?
thanks
Paul

Last edited:
I have 6 excellent center backs at Tottenham and all of them are great in theyre own ways but the best pairing ive found is..

King & Dawson

I have both just defending and they are really good.. Dawsons popping up with goals and King is consistantly performing well.. I also have excellent backup in Kaboul and Bassong whenever needed.

I usually go for one tall, strong defender, and one fast one who reads the game and marks well. Its rare I use BPD to be honest. (Unless I'm using a 3 man defense)

Sometimes, but I rarely notice much difference in the amount of goals conceded. Having said that I have never tested it properly.

Last edited:
Vidic - Limited Defender - Stopper
Ferdinand - Central Defender - Cover

one brute, one finesse type centre backs... good partnership! sometimes I play two Covering Defenders if I play against quick strikers like Torres or Villa etc :D it all depends on who I am playing, but as default, its a beauty and the beast set up at the back!

one brute, one finesse type centre backs... good partnership! sometimes I play two Covering Defenders if I play against quick strikers like Torres or Villa etc :D it all depends on who I am playing, but as default, its a beauty and the beast set up at the back!

I use the roles for the cb's that are the defult ones. They are great. Last season they scored about 7 goals.

Stopper Cover for life.
Yeah, I think CB's are scoring a lot of goals for me. Pique scored 14 goals in the first season.

I have never accomplished to play well defensively with the cover/stopper setup. I'm currently playing as Fiorentina with normal central defenders (Felipe and Victor Ramos , both good but no world class). I've conceded 14 goals in 30 matches while the second best defence is Roma's (conceded 26). The weird thing is that i'm playing with attacking fluid mentality........

Scott Dann Central Defender - Defend
Roger Johnson Limted Defender - Defend
only 14 goals let in 31 games :)

I only use Stopper Cover when I have defenders with **** mental stats (lower league teams, lower prem teams). Usually when your a big team with quality centre-backs they will know when to "Stop" or to "Cover" if there Decision, Concentration and Positioning stats are good enough haha.

But I mainly look to get a partnership like everyone else said, one brave strong defender and one with abit of technical ability, who can pass.

I have to limited stopper defenders, Fazio & Jagielka

Mexes Ball playing defender - defend
Vermaelan Ball playing defender - Defend

I only use Stopper Cover when I have defenders with **** mental stats (lower league teams, lower prem teams). Usually when your a big team with quality centre-backs they will know when to "Stop" or to "Cover" if there Decision, Concentration and Positioning stats are good enough haha.

But I mainly look to get a partnership like everyone else said, one brave strong defender and one with abit of technical ability, who can pass.

I like the idea of reviewing the mental stats. The logic seems pretty sound.

Vidic and Ferdinand should have the ability to play either way effectively

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best ball playing defender?

I use

Marouane Fellaini - Limited Defender - Stopper
Sylvain Distin - Limited Defender - Cover

I always did it the other way round, with:

Vidic: Central Defender, Cover
Ferdinand: Ball-Playing Defender, Defend

But I will try your theory.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

Thomas Vermaelen

I use the stopper/cover combo and it is really good. haven't let many goals into my net this season.

anybody else with any thoughts on the best ball playing defender? there must be some better than Varmaelen!!!

Marquez or Pique