Documentaries

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
So I rather like Documentaries, so I thought I'd share a few with y'all and hopefully get some recommendations while I'm at it as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome!

aBw2w.jpg

Man on Wire - A look at tightrope walker Philippe Petit's daring, but illegal, high-wire routine performed between New York City's World Trade Center's twin towers in 1974, what some consider, "the artistic crime of the century."

3h7jt.jpg

Night & Fog - One of the most vivid depictions of the horrors of **** Concentration Camps. Filmed in 1955 at the post-war site of Auschwitz...

d6OD7.jpg

Hoop Dreams - A film following the lives of two African American boys who struggle to become college basketball players on the road to going professional.

qqwMh.jpg

Heima - In the summer of 2006, Sigur Rós returned home to play a series of free, unannounced concerts for the people of Iceland. This film documents their already legendary tour with intimate reflections from the band and a handful of new acoustic performances.

Tf1Vr.jpg

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters is a documentary that follows Steve Wiebe as he tries to take the world high score for the arcade game Donkey Kong from reigning champion Billy Mitchell.

Pretty Good

j4bGL.jpg

Home - In 200,000 years on Earth, humanity has upset the balance of the planet, established by nearly four billion years of evolution. By bringing us unique footage from over fifty countries, Arthus-Bertrand lays a foundation stone for the edifice that we must rebuild.

4tRdv.jpg

Waking Sleeping Beauty - The art of modern animation is brought to life by a perfect storm of art, business and circumstance.

DoUav.jpg

Restrepo - A year with one platoon in the deadliest valley in Afghanistan.

Ai43j.jpg

Workingman's Death - A documentary on the extremes to which workers will go to earn a living.

5pVpo.jpg

Anvil! The Story of Anvil - At 14, best friends Robb Reiner and Lips made a pact to rock together forever. Their band, Anvil, hailed as the "demi-gods of Canadian metal, " influenced a musical generation that includes Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax, despite never hitting the big time. Following a calamitous European tour, Lips and Robb, now in their fifties, set off to record their 13th album in one last attempt to fulfill their boyhood dreams.

Decent

EFooH.jpg

Catfish - Nev, a 24-year-old New York-based photographer, has no idea what he's in for when Abby, an eight-year-old girl from rural Michigan, contacts him on MySpace, seeking permission to paint one of his photographs. When he receives her remarkable painting, Nev begins a friendship and correspondence with Abby's family. But things really get interesting when he develops a cyber-romance with Abby's attractive older sister, Megan, a musician and model

GeTEg.jpg

Inside Job - Takes a closer look at what brought about the financial meltdown.

7EG5b.jpg

Hacking Democracy - This cautionary documentary exposes the vulnerability of computers - which count approximately 80% of America's votes in county, state and federal elections - suggesting that if our votes aren't safe, then our democracy isn't safe either.

SAbxC.jpg

Startup.com - Acclaimed documentary team Chris Hegedus, D A Pennebaker and newcomer Jehane Noujaim take a behind-the-scenes look at the volatile start-up phenomenon, chronicling the turbulent development of govWorks.com, an award-winning Internet site that facilitates interaction between local government, citizens and businesses.

Meh

pJiYm.jpg

The Yes Men Fix The World - Troublemaking duo Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno, posing as their industrious alter-egos, expose the people profiting from Hurricane Katrina, the faces behind the environmental disaster in Bhopal, and other shocking events.

8dOH6.jpg

Up Syndrome - University of Texas student Duane Graves chronicles his charismatic childhood chum Rene Moreno, a San Antonio native with Down Syndrome, in this playful, stirring, remarkably unique portrait documentary.

4uCAt.jpg

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait - Halfway between a sports documentary and an conceptual art installation, "Zidane" consists in a full-length soccer game (Real Madrid vs. Villareal, April 23, 2005) entirely filmed from the perspective of soccer superstar Zinedine Zidane.

ejoEN.jpg

Earthlings - Using hidden cameras and never-before-seen footage, EARTHLINGS chronicles the day-to-day practices of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit.

Anyone got any recommendations for me? Please don't recommend me things like Planet Earth & Life as I'm only interested in the Feature Length documentaries and not TV programs, despite how good some of them are.

Seen 'Night and Fog', and I found it heart-wrenching and really, really emotional during certain scenes. I was tempted to switch it off a couple of times, but generally I have a pretty weak stomach anyway.

Incredible though, and highly recommended if anyone wants to see an accurate depiction of what happened.

I love the Zidane docmentary, it's brilliant. Probably because it revolves around football. Up Syndrome is also a good one and I've watched half of Inside Job. Will watch it all soon.

I noticed you haven't included Waltz with Bashir on here. That is considered a documentary, rather than a film/movie, right?

I know you've seen it, since it was part of the screenshot thread.

I've got Man on Wire somewhere, but haven't got around to watching it yet:

111894-ml-78248.jpg

Touching the Void - The true story of two climbers and their perilous journey up the west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985.

Man on Wire is brilliant, one of my favourites probably. I also liked that Yes Men documentary, they were pwning everyone seriously.

I noticed you haven't included Waltz with Bashir on here. That is considered a documentary, rather than a film/movie, right?

I know you've seen it, since it was part of the screenshot thread.

Yeah I think I'd class that as more of a film really. A very good one at that.

Touching the Void - The true story of two climbers and their perilous journey up the west face of Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes in 1985.

Looks interesting. :wub:

You definitely missed this one! :)

sicko-poster.jpg

While we're at it. I'm looking for some history movies/documentaries. Everything that covers war, expansion, power and stuff like that. Here is what I mostly woukd like to watch about: Everything from the period of the Roman Empire to the first World War. Not something about female rights, please ;)

Last edited:
You definitely missed this one! :)

sicko-poster.jpg

While we're at it. I'm looking for some history movies/documentaries. Everything that covers war, expansion, power and stuff like that. Here is what I mostly woukd like to watch about: Everything from the period of the Roman Empire to the first World War. Not something about female rights, please ;)

Urghh, I wondered how long it would take someone to post a Michael Moore documentary. Personally I just don't find them that great, although according to the Good Doctor (Mark Kermode) his latest ones aren't as bad as his older stuff but he still likes he completely ridiculous set pieces.

As for War Documentaries I've been meaning to watch The Battle of the Somme (1916), supposed to be interesting...

The Battle of the Somme is a 1916 British documentary and propaganda film. Shot by two official cinematographers, Geoffrey Malins and John McDowell, the film depicts the British Army's preparations for, and the early stages of, the battle of the Somme.

[video=youtube;EpRc6lx_7wg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRc6lx_7wg[/video]

Another War/Propaganda documentary I've been meaning to watch is The Atomic Cafe which is a bunch of American Propaganda films from the '40s and '50s.

Last edited:
I like most of Lois Theroux's documentaries.

That John Pillger doc on Media and the war in Afghanistan was a decent watch as well.

I like most of Lois Theroux's documentaries.

That John Pillger doc on Media and the war in Afghanistan was a decent watch as well.

"Please don't recommend me things like Planet Earth & Life as I'm only interested in the Feature Length documentaries and not TV programs, despite how good some of them are."

Never realized before but Home is officially available to watch on Youtube...

[video=youtube;jqxENMKaeCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU[/video]

I've got Man on Wire somewhere, but haven't got around to watching it yet:

111894-ml-78248.jpg

Touching the void is brilliant and the actual story of it is just unbelievable

Actually, Pumping Iron. It's the film that made Arnold Schwarzenegger famous. It's a documentary about his rise to Mr. Olympia.