Micky Pain

Reaction score
I haven't seen any info on this anywhere so here's my question:

What IS Draft Protection, and how long is it in effect?

In one of my saves I found this American regen goalie, 20 years old with amazing stats, scout is crazy about his potential, but he plays for an American team and is apparently draft protected.

It doesn't say how long or even what it is.
Any ideas?

Nope not sure mate, search on Google? :p

as far as i can tell. young players who enter the mls via the draft are technically 'owned' by and paid by the mls, not the clubs. the mls ahve implemented this rule to protect prmoising youngsters being snapped up by (mostly european) clubs outside the mls, which would result in in a drop of quality in the league and create a talent vacuum. also the palyer may not get many games at a foreign club and so may not develop. not sure if this rule is a direct result of the shocking decline in freddy adu's fortunes since his move to europe, but its frustrating for an FM player nonetheless

Last edited:
And there you have it, that was like something on wikipedia lol :p

And there you have it, that was like something on wikipedia lol :p

dont know if im right, its jsut my interpretation of the MLS's incredibly complicated rules lol.

having said that, rules are there to be broken, even if you disregard the slaary cap (which was smashed) la galaxy broke about 5 other rules when they signed beckham

LOL! Yeah the MLS does have some complicated rules, I started an FM game with Seattle Sounders and quit before even getting through half a season, it's quite boring tbh.

That kind of sounds reasonable.
Guess there's not much point in having a scout over there then.
For this guys it doesn't matter as my HDD died including this save game, but it's good to know for future ventures none the less.

LOL! Yeah the MLS does have some complicated rules, I started an FM game with Seattle Sounders and quit before even getting through half a season, it's quite boring tbh.

MLS can be quite cool if you train yourslef to stop scouring the transfer markets, as you can hardly ever sign anyone, relying on youth can be pretty rewarding, until you get spanked by brazilian teams in continental competitions lol....

and you should see australia mate. no silly draft or any of that. but the squad restrictions are ridiulous! also the league is smaller thna the spl, and (last time i played, fm09) the 3 cups only involve teams form the top division, so you play each team about 8 times in a season lol.

with all the restrictions its nigh on impossible to build a team capable of challenging for the asian champions league.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 AM ----------

That kind of sounds reasonable.
Guess there's not much point in having a scout over there then.
For this guys it doesn't matter as my HDD died including this save game, but it's good to know for future ventures none the less.

you can sign them when they get a bit older and are placed on senior contracts, and usually quite cheap. but most youngsters are either on the generation adidas programme, or on a devleopmental contract. both of which means they will be draft protected in almost every case

Last edited:
Haha, think I'll give Australia a miss then

i might give it a go just to see how good robbie fowler can be when palying against poor opposition lol

Lol. Was watching him the other day for North Queensland Fury on Sky Sports. He looked average tbh, nothing special. He only played 60 minutes and the guy that came on for him scored the winner haha.

hes probably not enjoying his time there tbh. the club are based in townsville. an isolated naval base 800 miles north of brisbane (the nearest major city)

i stopped off there when i was in aus 2 years ago, not much to do apart from visit the great barrier reef on a boat

Don't you guys watch Soccer A.M!?

I'M BLIND DEC, IM BLINDDDDDD.
It shows the highlights of each Fury game, so people can watch Robbie Fowler, and so they can take the **** out of the Ausrtralian accent. ;)

Im pretty sure draft protection is when a player in college gets Drafted to a club and they have them in their youth/development league, and they put some sort of clause on him.