Droylsden (Champions League Winners!)

Nisbet

Reaction score
I thought that I’d try & take a team from the Blue Square North/South & make them the biggest & best club in England & Europe. I decided on making the lucky club Droysden as I thought it would be funny to make them the best & biggest club in Manchester. I also started with Sunday League rep.

To cut a long story short I’m currently in Aug 2024 having won the Premiership for the second year in a row last season on a record 97 points & I also won the Champions League for the first time beating Barcelona in the final. Needless to say my squad is now class.

Here are some various screen shots.

Please feel free to leave any comments.

Cheers

JN

Congratulations mate. I've started a game with Droylsden a while ago, having the same aim, although I got ****** off when a club signed my young first choice right-back (Ricky Anane) on a free transfer with no compensation (because he had a non-contract), without giving me any notifications or alerts beforehand. After that my whole concept collapsed, I lost for the first time in the league in february and I just couldn't play anymore. I'm glad that you succeeded though mate. Maybe I'll try doing the same again once the update is out :)

You have definatly done some cheating or editing to achieve this???? There is no chance you could have players on 130 grand a week with such a small ground, your wage budget wouldnt be high enough.

You have definatly done some cheating or editing to achieve this???? There is no chance you could have players on 130 grand a week with such a small ground, your wage budget wouldnt be high enough.

I never cheat when I play Football Manager. As you can see my Stadium is now 38,936 all seater & is sold out every week. I was in the Premiership for 5 seasons before I won it. For the first 4 seasons I had the smallest wage in the league by some way. It has only been the past few seasons that I've been paying high wages. Despite being the best team in the league by a mile I still do not have the biggest total salary (I'm 6th). You can also see that I have only recently signed Fernandez on £130k p/w. You can also see that last season my income was just under £271m!

Btw I have a question. As you advance up the leagues, does another chairman take over, someone with more money to support an uprising club, or did you had the same chairman all the time?

Btw I have a question. As you advance up the leagues, does another chairman take over, someone with more money to support an uprising club, or did you had the same chairman all the time?

Dave Pace was the same chairman from the start & he hardly put any cash into the club apart from the odd £20-50k to help with running costs when I was in the red towards the end of each season whilst in the lower leagues. I never had any money till I reached the Prem. Dave Pace & I are both now legends at the club despite him doing nothing apart from becoming a very rich man on the back of the success that I have brought. I think the club was worth around £240k when I took over in BS/N & it's now worth £331m & climbing. The club took out a £25m loan when I got promoted to the Prem to build a new 20,000 stadium. It's now twice that & filled every week. Unfort tho it now says that it has reached its max expansion capacity. It would b cool if they built me another one tho very unlikely. I also have no youth facilities at all (says they r rented & I'm not able to ask for them to be built which is v annoying). I will post screen shots of each league position that I finished if you are interested? Any other questions just ask. Ps I have done smiler with Peterhead taking them from Div 3 - bigget club in SPL winning everything for 5 seasons in another Save after getting the job when starting unemployed. Not won the Champions league with them tho as stopped playing to start with Droylsden.

Of course, I'd love to see as many print-screens as you can make of the things that you think would be interesting to show (just no print-screens of regens lol). I'm also interested in each league position finish as you said, but also I'd like to see your overall best eleven and the best eleven in your first season, just to compare it to my side. And since you mentioned the youth facilities, can you give me an advice on how to avoid that if I start a new game with Droylsden or is it impossible?

I think it might be a glitch in the game. I noticed that when I was in the red (after maybe signing a big player) I was able to ask for it but it was rejected due to lack of funds, but as soon as I had enough funds again the option was always grey & I'm not able to ask. Really annoying. Screen shots to follow of league positions.

Droylsden League History

Here is the the League since my time at Droylsden.

As you will see I had a shocker in my 4th season & finished rock bottom & got relegated from League 1 back into League 2. I'm not going to lie I was tempted to throw in the towel at that point, however I stuck with it & other than that blip it was consecutive promotions every season.

12 seasons from Blue Square North - Premiership Champions. It was also that season that I won the Euro Cup at Hampden Park (which is funny as I'm Scottish, like all the best managers lol) & the FA Cup again. A famous treble!

Only to be topped by Season 13 (unlucky for some... not me tho) when I did the quadruple! Premiership, FA Cup, League Cup & Champions League!!!

Getting relegated from League 1 was a distant memory...

You sir deserve pat on the back.

I would not have the patience to do that...

How long did it take in 'real' time? (I always ask this xD)
And could it be possible in Scotland despite the lack of huge TV money and bonuses?

Yeah well done mate, you have incredible patience. I'm attempting to win the Champions League with Newport County now, 2nd season and am looking like I'm going to gain back to back promotions to League One. Doubt I'll stick with it though, will probably get bored by the time I'm in the Championship.

How long did it take in 'real' time? (I always ask this xD)
And could it be possible in Scotland despite the lack of huge TV money and bonuses?

14 days 7 hours & 3 mins. lol

Its hard to say though as there have been times that I've been out & left it on for a while.

My Addictiveness Rating is: "I think that I should include Football Manager on my cv".

Ps I'm lucky to have a real job the amount I've played this season. ha

In the last Football Manager (FM2010) I made Hearts the biggest Club in the world & won the Champions League with them several times. They were far more valuable than Real Madrid & Barca. My Hearts Team wud've smashed my current. Droylsden side. They were outrageously good.

My Peterhead team are Champions League contenders although I've not been playing it much recently. Think I got to the Semi's last season. Yes its harder as you obviously dont have the huge League TV deal & League payout at the end of each season. You can of course still make big bucks in Europe. A big plus in Scotland is you have an under 19's instead of under 18's which is much better as you can have your young players playing together for an extra year. Its all about youth youth & more youth! Constantly bringing in good young players & hoping that they turn really good & if not you sell them for more than you paid for them. If you do this each season you have class young players coming through constantly & if you have injury problems you can always cover them with good promising youngsters. I play them in the league cup/ champions league group games when I'm already qualified, final League games if I've already tied it up with games to spare. The ones that dont make the cut you can still make plenty money out of them. Plenty money. I can easily make well over £50m in a year from players that I have no interest in playing. You can then bring in a couple of class players & more decent youngsters (the cycle continues...).

If you want to see some Peterhead screen shots I can post them also.

If the team you manage is in a well populated area then the potential for bigger attendances in the future if you are successful is far grater. eg a small club in Manchester (Droylsden), London (many clubs) ect. I always thought that you could make one of the smaller clubs in Glasgow massive quite easily (partick thistle, airdrie ect). I have never done this tho as I'm from Edinburgh support Hearts & dont like Glasgow clubs.

Unfortunately Peterhead & the surrounding areas have a very small population so I think there is only so big a stadium/attendances you could get (although mine have grown every year & still not had a new stadium yet). Think my Stadium is now around 17,000 & in real life the entire population of Peterhead is less than that which is pretty cool. I think that on match day everything in the town closes & everyone goes to watch the best club in Scotland. lol. Funny when you were a small club in the past & now you have a massive mid week European game at home against Real Madrid/Barcelona. Even better when you smash them 4:0! I still quite fancy continuing with Peterhead & seeing how big they can get. I'm currently annoyed that my Droylsden stadium is at its max just under 40,000. I think that I could eventually make them have a stadium of over 100,000 if the prat Dave Pace (chairman) would let me call all the shots on & off the park.

Last edited:
Amazing achievements mate. No bugs in the game after all those seasons? I usually get tonnes of bugs in my game after 5 seasons and have to quit.

Yeah well done mate, you have incredible patience. I'm attempting to win the Champions League with Newport County now, 2nd season and am looking like I'm going to gain back to back promotions to League One. Doubt I'll stick with it though, will probably get bored by the time I'm in the Championship.

You should defo stick with it. The most fun you can have with Football Manager is making a tiny club massive. Its quality when you sign a player for £28m on £130k p/w, when your initial total wage budget when you took over was under £5k p/w & the club was worth £200k. lol

Amazing achievements mate. No bugs in the game after all those seasons? I usually get tonnes of bugs in my game after 5 seasons and have to quit.

The only bug I think I've found is that I have no youth facilities & I can't ask for them. Think it happened after I got my new stadium. I want to get state of the art youth facilities so I can generate my own good regens, but my facilities are rented so the regens that come through the club are shocking, I've never signed one of them. I have to bring in every youth player myself.

wow thats impressive is there certain tactics u used through the lower leagues i do try use the tactics with attacking wingers and defensive mids in lower leagues doesnt work to good though as players lack the quality. wat tactics did u use..?...

wow thats impressive is there certain tactics u used through the lower leagues i do try use the tactics with attacking wingers and defensive mids in lower leagues doesnt work to good though as players lack the quality. wat tactics did u use..?...

I may get people saying that what I'm staying is rubbish but to be totally honest I don't think that your formation & tactics actually matter as much as some people believe. It is important to pick a formation that suits your players positions (or bring in players that suit the formation that you want to play). Of course if you are a big underdog & playing away form with very attacking tactics then you are likely to get a hiding. I think that as long as your 11 players are better than the 11 on the other team then you will do well. I spent a lot more time trying to find & bring in the best young players that I can to the club that I am at.
In saying that when I was In the lower leagues I played a far more conservative game home and away. It is only when I think that I have a really good squad (far better than the rest of the teams that I'm playing regularly that I start playing more attacking & try & score as many goals as possible). In the lower leagues Physical attributes count for a lot. If you find a player with less than average Technical/Mental stats but their physical attributes are good then they will prob do pretty well.

I like to get a formation that I like (normally a fairly straight forward 4-4-2) and stick to it. I have played the same formation all the way through the leagues. I did change a few times in my 1st season in League 1 when I finished rock bottom as I was loosing so many goals. Tried one up front extra man in midfield. The prob was not the formation, it was that my squad was really young inexperienced & not good enough. I went back to League 2 & 4-4-2 formation brought in some better players improved the squad & it was promotion after promotion.

The big prob in the lower leagues is a severe lack of funds. There is a way round this however it has its consequences. I would play loads of pre-seasons friendlies against as big clubs as possible to generate money & when I say loads I mean as many as possible. 5 games each week! This of course increases the risk of injury which will happen, you spend the whole pre-season getting smashed off bigger clubs & by the end of the season your relatively small squad have played an outrageous amount of games. I was sometimes even playing friendlies mid-week throughout the season as I was so stuck for cash at times. I think went you way up the pro's & con's it has to be done. I dont thing I would ever have got into the Premiership if I hadn't done this. If you do decide to do this you can ask you Assistant to take control of friendlies as it takes time to play all these friendlies although he might get your star player in the Blue Square injured for 6 months. I & took the risk asked my Assistant to take control to save time. Remember though to take control of friendlies for the last couple of games & give your players a full weeks rest before the first game of the season. The last thing you want is a tired squad before in the massive season opener!!! Hope that helps.

I have lost of other tips I can give if anyone likes.

Cheers