East Stirling.....transition to first division

mcbgun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just about to finish my second season in charge and having stormed the scottish third division, I've already won the second division with 5 games to spare and am currently 24 points clear of second place.

In a previous save with Peterhead I managed to get to the first division in the same way in successive seasons....I then finished third but in what was the worst piece of managing I think I've ever done, I decided to offer low bonuses for league and cups which destroyed my squad morale resulting in a final day relegation the next season.

Whilst I'll never make that mistake again, I am aware that the first division is a massive step up. I've got good foundations in place for a good season next year....BUT....the difference in quality between the second and first I find is high.

The main concern for me is getting in some quality centrebacks and central midfielders whilst retaining the core of my team. I don't want to sign too many players straight away as I find that has a detrimental effect on the team at the beginning of the season regardless of how extensive your pre season is.

The club is in great shape finance wise with over half a million in the bank (loads of pre season friendlies vs big teams anyone!!!). My goal scoring power is high with the likes of the usual suspects in Pablo Counago, Jamil Adam and Elliot Chamberlain contributing 64 goals between them of the course of this season and who I think will still score in the first division. I also have the likes of James Cronesberry and Yohan Guichard providing plenty of service from the wings.

What experiences have people had in making the transition from the second to the first division? Any ideas/recommendations? When you get to this stage of club management when you've vastly overachieved and find yourself with the big boys, most of whom are professional status clubs, it becomes tricky to stay competitive without going for broke and signing loads of players on big wages that take time to settle in.

Just finished my 2nd season in the SPL with Alloa ;)

The transition from 3rd to 2nd is nothing, but from 2nd to first is quite a difference

Several of the first div clubs could be SPL and as you will be a few years into the game there should be some SPL sides there too

I won promotion by only a few points in a really tight season, try and sign Ryan Donnelly from airdrie as he will score loads for you, although with them 3 I think your doing okay lol, try and get SPL players on loan and just keep playing your normal way.

The biggest worry for me was the change from semi pro (part time contracts) to pro and full time deals, everyone wants to double their wages and it hit me quite hard

Quick update...

Hey guys, into my third season and my first season in the first division. Went with a different approach and amazingly one that I'd never thought of doing and that was raiding international U21 teams for players without a club in the summer transfer window.....also did the usual checking of the latest scout reports to find some good quality squad players.

I think the best find of the season is this guy, a german U21 who is absolutely sick!

View attachment 250144

Guy is a beast and gives me that extra bite in midfield. Signed a couple of others from that german u21 team who are pretty good as well.

First game was away to the side predicted 1st in the league....hamilton...I was 3-0 down so switched to my home formation and pulled 2 back to make it 3-2....whilst they were predicted to win the league it still worried me that my usually epic away tactic was so weak against them although the familiarity bars were 95% full so maybe that didn't help. Anyways a 3-0 home win followed vs queen of the south and...get this....i stuck with the same away formation that got trashed against hamilton and went with that vs morton.....the result....couldn't believe it....I absolutely destroyed them 7-1! Biggest win of this save so far!

Well happy.

Finished second.....by a point...but gutted i couldn't make it successive promotions in a row but next season should be awesome!

I was the same in my Forfar save. I'd romp the 2nd division then in the 1st I was the whipping boy. TBH I think the only way to get out the 1st Division is to get a good run in with the Cups and some big money friendlies for a couple of seasons then the transition from PT to FT should be easier. Depending if you don't spend all the money.

I did this very same challenge when I first got FM12. It's a massive jump but if you search for players for free transfers with only the specific atibutes you need for each position, you usually get 1-2 gems for that level. I'm sure I finished 2nd and then romped it the second season. Teams like Man U etc always release decent regens.

I also had the likes of France, Italy and Germany loaded, my scouts always found amazing young French regens.

The jump to the SPL is horrible, ground sharing with Falkirk for 6 months + whilst you spend 10m+ on a loan re building a stadium which you don't even own. You will struggle to generate the money needed to keep in the black too.

quick question, did you sign Pablo Counago, Jamil Adam and Elliot Chamberlain in the first season? or second

thanks

How did you manage to bring in Pablo Counago? He usually wants quite a bit of money which is hard for a semi pro Scottish side?