Eds

Reaction score
Eds’ Little ’n’ Large 4-4-2 Variant

Firstly, before I begin, I would like to show my appreciation to a few guys on the FM scene who have indirectly helped me out with this tactic. Having decided to create a 4-4-2 variant, I knew I needed to brush up on my knowledge of the 4-4-2 itself. And to do this, I used a number of different guides to help me. GodCubed’s Guide to Tactical Synergy, as well as his Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM were both of huge help, and for that I am grateful. I found the Synergy article particularly interesting because it isn’t something I have looked into before now, a huge amount. I’d also like to thank iNickStuff for various pieces throughout his [Amateur] Tactician’s Chalkboard for FM11, but in particular the guide on Playing (decently) Successful Possession Football which was obviously a huge help when building a possession-based tactic. Then there were the guides on the 4-4-2s which I found tremendously useful. Max’s Tactical Guide was a read I found very interesting and helped me build various elements of the tactic, from formation to Advanced Tactics. Also remarkably helpful was Mike.’s take on the ‘modern 4-4-2. This guide was particularly helpful in terms of determining my tactic’s strategy and various other tactical decisions I had to make. Cheers for all of those guys – all of massive help.

# # #

Now, we’re onto the tactic itself.

When I was creating the tactic, I was modelling it for my Gold Coast United [in the Hyundai A-League, Australia] side. Not only did this give me a reason to create a new tactic (which I’ve been meaning to do for a while), but it also allowed me to make my central midfielder the key man in the tactic; something I love doing whilst creating my tactics. I decided I wanted plenty of partnerships in the tactic as well – and that was something I have worked hard upon.

The tactic is a variant of the commonly used 4-4-2, except with a twist. Instead of the two classical wingers, it uses a RAM and a LAM, both in the Inside Forward role. This adds an attacking element to the tactic which is just hard to find elsewhere. Despite the Inside Forward role, the two widemen, as the name suggests, do tend to stay wide and just cut in a fair bit – creating numerous chances for the two strikers. The most common situation is to beat the opposition right/left back and cut inside then, and either pull back for the onrushing Deep-Lying Playmaker or play it through to one of the two strikers or over the top to the other Inside Forward.

Up top there is the classic Target Man/Poacher partnership. And it’s not a myth that they compliment each other perfectly. The Target Man works in harmony with the two Inside Forwards to perform plenty of attractive possession football and create numerous chances for the Poacher. The Poacher is actually also involved in playing a ‘False Nine’ role, but I’ll touch on that more later, as it is a massive part of why the tactic is so successful.

The Key Men in the formation are without doubt the Poacher and the Deep Lying Playmaker: the dictator and the finisher. Without two key men in these roles you’ll be struggling, but it’s easy to find many glorious combinations of this around the world – Gerrard and Suarez; Alonso and Benzema; Xavi and Villa etc. These two men are key to the way the tactic functions, but it’s fairly important your team are creatively well equipped and good passers of the ball – it helps, anyway; as does a good goalkeeper.

The formation itself – a modern tinge to the traditional 4-4-2

As Jose Mourinho pointed out during his time in England, there is a problem with the 4-4-2. And that problem is the fact that actually, it’s easy to be outplayed in the middle. That’s a problem I really had to address if this tactic was to be a success, and it’s something I’m quite pleased with how it has turned out. Despite the two strikers, the Poacher plays somewhat of a False Nine role, and slots into the Attacking Midfield role when the opposition have the ball. This means that the tactic turns into a 4-2-3-1 whilst defending and a 4-2-4 whilst attacking. It takes it out of your players, but it works.

And here’s some proof.

Tahj Minniecon (#15) drops back into the ACM whilst the opposition have the ball

Things you might want to know
- Whilst successfully testing this tactic, I used a Standard pitch size.
- If you want to, you can use a separate tactic for home and away games. For home games, use this tactic. For away games, simply change team philosophy to Standard. If you do this, be sure to save it as a separate tactic and use both on Match Preparation.
- Speaking of Match Preparation, I used Defend Set Pieces as my Special Focus Area.
- No opposition instructions are required.

Testing
I played my season with Gold Coast United, in the Hyundai A-League, Australia. This is fairly challenging, but despite the relative challenge, I finished 2nd after the round robin 30-game stage, and went on to win the league through the playoff system, despite being rank outsiders for a huge majority of the season. I also found that I did not lose the possession battle once, during my whole season.

Also, whilst running several unemployed holidayed seasons with the A-League, on average, Gold Coast United finished 9th. Just to put things int perspective for you.

A few screenshots and a video - just for you.

# # #

But I’m looking for help from you guys with the development of the tactic. I definitely need more testers, and despite having success myself, I’d love for a few others to have a go and tell me how they go, or even some general feedback would be nice. Please?
wink.png

Download link: here

I'd be delighted to test it out for you Eds. :)

Am using this formation for my Man City save but with the Il Devasto tactics. I can see you've put a lot of work into this, so will definitely give it a download, and will maybe use it for my second City season :)

Am using this formation for my Man City save but with the Il Devasto tactics. I can see you've put a lot of work into this, so will definitely give it a download, and will maybe use it for my second City season :)

I'd be delighted to test it out for you Eds. :)

Cheers lads - apprciate it.

Also, don't know if I mentioned it enough in the OP, but this is a tactic designed for possession, whilst also scoring goals and being defensively sound.

Cheers lads - apprciate it.

Also, don't know if I mentioned it enough in the OP, but this is a tactic designed for possession, whilst also scoring goals and being defensively sound.

I was thinking maybe trying it out with West Brom, unless you had a team in mind?

Any team you want mate. As long as they've got a good DLP and Poacher.

Any team you want mate. As long as they've got a good DLP and Poacher.

Actually, I will go with Wolves - Nenad Milijas and Kevin Doyle. Can't wait!

I will test too :)
Do you think it will work with the maximum pitch size? Also, why Defend set pieces?

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

How do i download it?

I will test too :)
Do you think it will work with the maximum pitch size? Also, why Defend set pieces?

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

How do i download it?

Awesome, cheers mate.

It will work, I think. But the results won't be quote as good as Standard. I choose t defend set pieces because the attack and defense of the tactic are both solid. I was conceding the majoity of my goals from corners and free kicks.

Go to the link I put at the bottom of my post. This will take you to a thread on another forum where the link is.

Very good work Eds. The 'Big Man-Small Man' partnership has been something I love to play in FM, especially within the 4-4-2. It's great.

You have obviously put in a great deal of work to make the tactic fearsome attacking-wise and defensively sound. Also addressing the midfield problem. I often struggle with these things.

Like I said, very good work and I am sure it will be successful for those who use it.

Im currently using my own 4-4-2 and i have a poacher and deep lying forward and i think it works great
ill download this and test it for you next season hopefully

I'll give it a go with my Liverpool team :) Suarez and Gerrard <3

Joshhh, that's a great idea. Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool (and possibly United and West Ham) are the teams I think this'll work well with.

How do I get it onto my game?

I've downloaded, added it to the archive, extracted the files but it isn't there..

Think it's to do with it not being a .tac file, any idea how to change it?

How do I get it onto my game?

I've downloaded, added it to the archive, extracted the files but it isn't there..

Think it's to do with it not being a .tac file, any idea how to change it?

Rename and add .tac

This looks great Eds.

Definitely going to try it out..

Hmmm, Liverpool or Spurs?