Emulating José Mourinho: A Special Journey

Which club will I be at in five seasons time?

• Total voters

Eds

Reaction score
Update Um:

“To be the ultimate team, you must use your body and your mind. Draw up on the resources of your teammates. Choose your steps wisely and you will win. Remember only teams succeed.”

mourinho1201_228x182.jpg

Hey guys. Welcome to my my first story for Football Manager 2011 – a José Mourinho Emulation Story. I’m always looking to improve my stories so I always, always, always love comments and feedback. So don’t hold back and just tell me what you think, and I’ll take it into account in future updates.

I'll be using a mixture of articles and perspective, and there'll be far more than just football going on. But if anyone has any suggestions I'd love for you to mention them in the thread so I can improve the story. Cheers.

:wub:​

#

From the dreary streets of London town to the luscious beaches of Lisbon, The Special One has continued to amaze us with his continued brilliance and his tactical stubbornness. Dubbed as one of the Greatest Managers in the history of the beautiful game, I’ll be attempting to emulate Mourinho’s career and visit all the clubs he has managed at throughout his ten year career. But don’t expect it to be exactly the same as the real José’s career. I’m going to try and visit all the clubs, but not necessarily in the same order and I may just chuck in a few added extras...

#

I’ve edited the Database to include Jorge Jesus as the new manager of Valencia, and the real José Mourinho has been removed from the game, as I will be taking up the role as Mourinho himself. I’ll also be looking to manage and respond to the media in a similar way to Mourinho. A very tricky task, I know, but I’ll do my best.

I've loaded a Large Database with all of the countries The Special One has managed in loaded as well as a few others. I've also removed the real José from the game and moved Jesus to Valencia. And of course, it all starts at Sport Lisboa Benfica, where the Great One himself started.

# # #

sportheader.png

Last Updated: Tuesday 6th July 2010, 14:39 GMT

Assistant Manager takes over from border-crossing Jesus
sport-graphics-2005_726002a.jpg

José Mourinho with former mentor Bobby Robson

Jorge Jesus shocked the Portuguese footballing community when only days ago he announced that Valencia FC would be his club for the 2010/11 season – meaning he would be leaving his beloved SL Benfica. It was expected by no-one and opened up a four-man race to be the new manager of Portugal’s most prestigious and historic club.

Gordon Strachan, the now redundant former Celtic and Middlesbrough manager, confirmed his interest in the role but was never really a leading contender. David O’Leary, the current Al-Ahli FC manager never publicly declared an interest in the role but rumours were strong, according to Sky Sports sources. Rui Costa, the former Benfica talismanic midfielder and current Director of Football at SL Benfica was known to be interested in the role at his beloved club, and will certainly be disappointed about not resuming a role in the dugout, but rather, continuing on in the board room.

And now we come on to the man himself. The former Benfica and Barcelona Assistant Manager - Jose Mourinho. This young man has an air of cockiness about him, yet his statements are still clouded with realism. “This club has granted me a fantastic opportunity, and I will take it. With both hands,” said the Lisbon-based side’s new man-in-charge, “but we must improve. How many championships have we won in five years? It is not five. We must improve.”

He's told us he has got players in mind to improve the already talented SL Benfica squad - but what more can he do with a seemingly low budget and an already class set of playing staff? We shall see, but Mourinho's talent and willingness to negotiate isn't going to be severely tested over the upcoming months.

Studying under Louis van Gaal and more importantly, Sir Bobby Robson, this young coach has a reason to be cocky. Robson labeled his scouting reports “the best I’ve ever seen – truly first class”. A translator turned assistant manager, and now, manager of SL Benfica itself, this new managerial prodigy has the weight of the red side of Lisbon on his shoulders. And can he fulfill his huge potential? We think so, but only time can tell.

Other News:
Marcelino confirms Rafael van der Vaart will be sold to English side Tottenham Hotspurs.
The new Real Madrid gaffer also declares an interest in young Santos superstar striker Neymar.
Theo Walcott has put pen to paper on a new deal worth over £12million to the youngster.

You can't do stories anymore, cos of the blog system!

Cheers guys.

This is a temporary section as the blogs are going to take a while to get here.

I think you'll find you can... A new temporary forum has been put up by Sean for FM11 stories until the blog system comes in.

Oh ok sorry, I didnt know that, and also very good start!

This looks really, really good, I will definitelly be following.

Bookmarked.

brilliant op, fantastic writing and storyline i will be following

Cheers for the good comments guys, means alot. Will look to do another update tonight.

Update Dois:

Tactical, Technical and Staffical Analysis

"No more questions for now. Mr. Mourinho has answered as many as he deems necessary and now we must leave. Thank you for your time," a tired-looking press officer splurted out. The long, drawn-out introduction of the new manager of Portugal's most prestigious club had finally come to a conclusion.

Sport Lisbon Benfica. The heart and soul of Portuguese football. My father used to talk of their dominance - The Golden Years. Jorge Jesus has rebuilt the club after the landslide but he has peaked and saught new pastures. It is my job to make this club great again. José Mourinho's job.

"In normal conditions, Benfica will be the Champion. In abnormal conditions, Benfica will also be the Champion."

I had seen the press and had given them something to get their grimy claws into. It is very important that this club demands respect within Portugal before demanding European success. Jorge Jesus had the wrong idea. You must be able to stand before you can walk or run.

The 4-3-1-2 tactic is a favourite of mine and with the squad I've inherited it'll work very well indeed. Pablo Aimar and Oscar Cardozo are the two key men, and are brilliant footballers. There are many other very good individuals but we are not yet a very good team. We must not have a club of players. We must have players of a club.

If you do not concede you do not lose. We must not concede. We must not lose.

The squad needs a refurb. There are units of solidity but the squad as a whole is lacking. The man with the Bentley and the Aston Martin betters the man with the lone Ferrari. We need rotation - options from the bench. Low-profile players willing to die for the club. That passion is what we need to win. And we will win.

#

What do you guys reckon for Update Dois? The main area I am finding hard is capturing the Mourinho character and putting him on paper. What is he like behind the scenes, it's difficult to tell. And as always, looking for feedback.

Next update'll be Pre-Season and Transfers. :wub:

Oh, and yeah, I know Staffical isn't a real word. I used it to show Jose's willingness to invent and be creative. Oh yeah, I am that good. ;)

very good. anyway know how to do a story via the blog system?

Love the start of it and some of the sayings i can imagine jose saying them
keep it up

Having read Jose's footballing career book which was given as a present, I kindy have a bit of knowledge (I hope) on how he developed his career. Personally, I hope you have most of your success at Leiria, as I feel this was the club that truly shapped the great man that is Jose mourinho. I know this won't be an exact replica of his career as I read your op with great interest, but I know from your previous stories that your writing is very good. If you can have a successful save here it should make for an even better story. Best of luck with this, I will be an avid follower. :wub:

Brilliant so far Eds, will definitely be following this. I am thinking of doing an emulation soon, not sure who to start with though :S

Brilliant story so far, so will be following and good luck