England Players Need More Freedom

Gaffer

Reaction score
Jose Mourinho believes England's "unhappy" players must be given freedom to enjoy their football without fear.

The former Chelsea boss, now at Real Madrid, admitted it was hard to understand why Fabio Capello's team had done so badly at the 2010 World Cup.

"Make the players feel happy," Mourinho told BBC Sport. "Not with fear to play, not with [too] high expectations."

Mourinho, 47, also dismissed any speculation of succeeding Capello when the Italian stands down in 2012.

"I think national teams are 'England for the English and Portugal for the Portuguese'," added Mourinho, who was approached by the Football Association about taking over as England manager in 2007.

"I will one day play against England with my Portugal but Portugal has to wait a long time."

Going into the World Cup with high ambitions of tangible success, Capello's players stumbled through the group stages before they were swiftly knocked out following a 4-1 humbling by a young and vibrant Germany team in the last 16.

Their performances in South Africa were roundly criticised, with Capello in particular in the firing line for his managerial skills.

"When they got Fabio, I was very optimistic," said Mourinho, who won two Premier League titles and is a professed lover of English football.

"A good coach, great experience, a good leader.

"I thought it was the right man for it - the right age, the right stability, strong personality. I thought he would do it.

"They have everything. They have the manager, they have the coach, they have the players.

"It is a bit difficult to understand why [they haven't won anything]."

Mourinho also highlighted England's dearth of top-class goalkeepers, a key position crucial for championship success.

"I think without a top goalkeeper you can't win big things," added the former stopper.

"Champions League winners, World Cup winners - always a top goalkeeper."

England have made an impressive start to their Euro 2012 campaign, winning their opening matches against Bulgaria and Switzerland and are currently top of Group G by virtue of a superior goal difference.

They face second-placed Montenegro at Wembley on 12 October.
And Mourinho urged England supporters and the media to get behind the team and its current leader.

"Look at the players not as players," he said, adding that international managers do not have enough time to work with their players. "Look at the players as Englishmen.

"If not, the players will keep feeling the heat and keep feeling the pressure.

"I don't think the players are happy in the national team. I don't think they feel comfortable there.

"They are happy in the clubs, they are comfortable in the clubs. Maybe there is too much expectation for them."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/football_focus/9052939.stm

We(England) have too much expectation and the media doesnt help and our players are too pampered