Di Matteo Sacked!!!!

JP Woody

Reaction score
Chelsea have announced the departure of manager Roberto Di Matteo following a Champions League defeat to Juventus.

914226-15206577-640-360.jpg

Di Matteo was given the job on a permanent basis in the summer after leading Chelsea to an unexpected first Champions League triumph but a 3-0 loss in Turin, following a run of only two wins in seven games in all competitions, has brought a swift end to his reign.

A club statement read: "Chelsea Football Club has parted company this morning with manager Roberto Di Matteo.
"The team's recent performances and results have not been good enough and the owner and the Board felt that a change was necessary now to keep the club moving in the right direction as we head into a vitally important part of the season.

"The club faces a difficult task ahead in qualifying for the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as well as maintaining a strong challenge for the top of the Premier League while competing in three other cup competitions. Our aim is to remain as competitive as possible and challenge strongly on all fronts.

"The owner and the board would like to thank Roberto for all he has done for the club since taking over in March. Roberto helped guide us to an historic Champions League victory and a seventh FA Cup. We will never forget the huge contribution he has made to this club's history and he will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge.

"The club will be making an announcement shortly regarding a new first team manager."

Di Matteo hinted after the loss to Juve that any questions over his future should be put to Abramovich, not him.
"At the moment, I think, with the team, we are all in it together," he said. "I'm responsible for the results and at the moment I am here and I think I will be for the future.

"But that question [about my future] is probably not one you should ask me. As far as I'm concerned, I'll keep working. But I'm responsible for the result. I'm responsible for the performance.

"It's a negative evening for us – a big disappointment for us, for the team, for the club. If anyone has to take the blame, it's me. I selected a team I was convinced was the right team to win against Juventus, or get at least a draw, so the blame belongs to me."

Abramovich is reportedly willing to offer Spaniard Rafa Benitez - who has been out of work since leaving Internazionale in 2010 - a deal until the end of the season. Benitez won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 and reached the final in 2007.

Abramovich is believed to want to install former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola as permanent boss when his year-long sabbatical in New York comes to an end in the summer, and Benitez would appear to be the perfect stop-gap.

Di Matteo had overseen a change in playing style this season, with three attacking midfielders - usually summer signings Eden Hazard and Oscar, plus Spain star Juan Mata - employed behind a striker, with £50 million Fernando Torres finally the undisputed first choice following the exit of Didier Drogba.

However the Italian, a former playing star at Stamford Bridge, left out Torres on Tuesday, effectively playing without a front man - a bold move that backfired.

Abramovich has a trigger-happy reputation. He sacked Avram Grant after the Israeli led Chelsea to the 2008 Champions League final then disposed of his replacement Luiz Felipe Scolari after less than a season in charge following public criticism from the players.

Guus Hiddink came in on a temporary basis - alongside his duties as Russia coach - and won the Double before returning to his national job full-time.

Carlo Ancelotti was the oligarch's next victim before Andre Villas-Boas - who had enjoyed a sensational debut season with Porto, romping to the league title and winning the Portuguese Cup and Europa League - came in to instigate a change to the more fluent style that Abramovich craved.

However he also fell out with the veteran players at Chelsea, lasting only nine months before the axe fell - and Di Matteo steadied the ship, taking a more pragmatic Chelsea to that famous European triumph in Munich against Bayern.

Benitez was approached about taking over from Villas-Boas, but was unwilling to do so at that time.

Last edited:
Cant believe it, so sad as a Chelsea fan to see this...

Had Faith in you, and believed you were the man for the job.

Leader DI matteo!

Will never forget what you did for us, to get us back on track!

Lots of hugs from denmark!

Only chelski could sack a manager who won them the champions league. What a joke of a club they are becoming. No wonder there is no long term plan at Chelsea. I love how everyone thinks pep guardiola is the answer just remember he hasn't managed outside of Barcelona. Yes you cannot deny what he achieved was immense but it's not like they had a rubbish team to begin with. He had messi xavi iniesta puyol a host of world class players at the peak of their powers. I reckon they will go redknapp till the end of the season then get pep

Apparently going to be Benitez short term, if anyone can win the Europa League for them, he can.

But I sincerely hope they crash and burn from here, they deserve nothing.

Oh dear Chelsea- already showing little or no class in the handling of John Terry & Clattenburg issues now add this to their CV.
If Abramovich played FM he would save before every match! lol

Apparently going to be Benitez short term, if anyone can win the Europa League for them, he can.

Oh, how lovely. Thank you.

Chelsea arent doing badly in the league atm, and they still have a chance to qualify despite the defeat. Considering di matteo guiding chelsea to their first ever champions cup, as well their current league position, the sacking is very harsh imo. terrible decision by the board. Stability is never gonna be attained at this rate they are sacking their managers.

thats what happens at a soul less club. buy buy buy. oh doesnt work out. sack sack sack.

Just saying on sky that an announcement will be made shortly balague just come on no on Benitez he hasn't been approached and pep ain't breaking his sabbatical and that they may be likely to go for average grant hahaha this just gets better

Just saying on sky that an announcement will be made shortly balague just come on no on Benitez he hasn't been approached and pep ain't breaking his sabbatical and that they may be likely to go for average grant hahaha this just gets better

Harry Redknapp is my guess.

Balague said that? Expect Benitez to happen then. :D

Balague makes his living from guesswork, the complete opposite to what he says normally happens.

Balague said that? Expect Benitez to happen then. :D

Balague makes his living from guesswork, the complete opposite to what he says normally happens.

It would be amazing if they appoint grant though that would make my day

I was really happy when we managed to win CL. But to be honest i couldnt see good things in the way which RDM was goin with Chelsea in this season..

you live by the sword you die by the sword i love rdm but not playing a striker in a game where only a draw or win is a must then you can expect decisions like this...! and also playing david luiz thats the worst money roman has ever spent chelsea do need stability but lets face it while roman in charge it aint gunna happen my money is on jose coming back

Pahahahahahahahaha....Ahahahahahaha.Hahahahahaha

I love Chelsea. What an utterly hilarious shambles.