splithead1950

Reaction score
well as the title says, it's a sort of a best of of some of the better tactics here posted paired with some of my own ideas which indeed turned out to work quite well with any team in any league, even with national teams.

main focus of this tactic is to overload the opposing defence with cut-ins and moving up midfielders and allow the 3 (1 real and 2 "false") strikers to create tons of chances while being backed by a playmaker and two fullbacks to provide some extra width and pressure.

while defending the whole team except the poacher will be behind the ball and close down everything with 2 legs with the goal of regaining posession asap and starting a counter attack. should this opportunity not arise then the team will powerplay like barcelona around the park until a killer ball can be deployed to one of the forwards.

i implemented a very effective corner strategy which i deployed in my leverkusen save, all you need is a big tall CB with heading and jumping to be at 15+. this guy also needs good marking and acceleration because back in defence he will man mark while the other CB will zone mark and try to break up attacks.

as i get annoyed by 983742427894 long shots ending up in the stands i restricted every single player (even the ones with 17 or more for long shots) to shoot on rare ocasions, there is nothing more satisfying than watching your guys score a goal after passing the ball like 12 times and forcing the defence to open up and invite your striker to move into the channel and be fed with a sweet through ball :D

you should have around 60% ball posession, 80% pass completion, more clear-cut-chances, a very small amount of long shots, more ground covered than your opposition (even with teams like hajduk split or lech poznan vs chelsea or manU), almost no red cards, your inside forwards do NOT need to be left footed if they play on the right side (don't ask me why but i played 100+ seasons with different teams in different leagues with this tactic without having it tweaked and there is no difference in scoring or assisting) and the best thing about the tactic is that you'll play very consistent and even on occasions crush bigger teams. with decent personel (which i'll explain later) you should be able to maintain an average goal difference of 2.8-3.2 scored and 0.5-0.9 conceeded, depends on club, league, players and so on

of course this tactic also has some weak points in defence but i couldn't find fixes for them without disrupting the immense offensive display. on bad days you won't get more than 75% pass completion or allow 1 to 3 clear cut chances. i also noticed that i play way better at home than away, but i guess that's because i usually play with fairly young squads being only 22 or 23 on average. one more downside, if your centerbacks have a bad day you may get crushed by higher profile clubs because a lot depends on them but i also noticed that although i won 2-0 or so one CB had a 5.x rating while the other had 6.x :S

also the best pitch dimension is 105x68 meters, which sounds a little strange because you'll play a rather short passing football through the middle but don't ask me why, i tested it with several teams and several pitch dimensions and this one proved to be the best for this tactic :D

ok now player types you want in your squad to play attractive and succesfull

GK - someone like rene adler or stipe pletikosa, the goalie should be able to stop the few shots wich come through
DL/DR - ok you NEED TO HAVE READ THAT ---> in the original setup the DL is a wingback like dani alves, gareth bale or rafinha and the DR is a fullback like vedran corluka, one which rather will support the midfield than storm for the byline so it depends on your fullbacks which configuration is best, either one WB and one FB or 2 of either so this is the only change you need to do, to fit it to your squad
DC - the left one needs to be someone like sebastien bassong (massive goalscorer from corners) or neven subotic while the other one can even be a shorter one like puyol but in general both need good marking, tackling, heading, jumping, concentration and the right CB positioning and pace/acceleration stats
DMC - the anchorman, this player must crush opposing attacks with his physical strength and intelligence, players like miguel veloso, srdjan andric or javier mascherano made me very happy because ratings like 7.3 for a whole season reflect good work :D
MC - advanced playmaker, well everything said i guess, someone like cesc fabregas or dario conca (not his natural position but he does superb as MC) who has the gift to see the opportunity and the attacker who is on his way AND slice open the defence from the deep midfield with a monster killer through ball
MC - this guy is the ball winner and it depends a lot on him, if he screws up your defensive department must be prepaired, he must be strong and not too aggressive, otherwise he will collect way too many yellow cards. natural DMs would be suited best for this role. ruben de la red, alex song, jack rodwell, but also players like (you won't believe it) joey barton do superb in this role
AML/AMR - here i'd rather deploy natural AMCs and train them to the position than pure wingers because they don't need good stats for pace, crossing etc, they need the composure and intelligence of a natural attacking midfielder or striker, they will score almost as much goals as the one up front. usually 1.5:1 ratio. so you'll be best with guys like robin van persie (!!!), robinho, anas sharbini, ADAM HLOUSEK (tremendous!!), luka modric, messi, ronaldo, theo wallcott etc playing as inside forwards, trust me :)
ST - this one needs to be quick, swift and cold as ice, but i made the expierience that even edin dzeko can score 30+ prem goals as a poacher :D didn't test messi on this position because i rather play with mid profile clubs but i guess he could be a very effective poacher as well as vaclav kadlec or iker muniain

after an intense period of playing fm2010 and developing this tactic, testing and tweaking it to **** and back i can say that it is the best tactic i played so far. the few pre-season games should be enough to get things running and of course, you won't win the prem with all 114 points but i could win it with tottenham in my first season, bundesliga with köln, leverkusen, schalke (17 points more than the second) also in my first season and la liga second 2 points behind barca with athletic bilbao (won europa league in the first season).

so all in all don't expect wonders if you don't have the player types required :p

would be glad for some feedback and ideas on improving the tactic, if you have any questions feel free to ask away ;)

here it comes :D

View attachment 250766

ps: i would recommend tug's training schedules because they seem to be the best around atm :D

Last edited: