First person to live to 1000 has already been born

Joel`

Reaction score
It's a pretty old article, but I thought it was something fascinating to think about firstly for how far science has come and how much further it is going, and to consider the philosophical, social and economical problems of such a feat.

--

Life expectancy is increasing in the developed world. But Cambridge University geneticist Aubrey de Grey believes it will soon extend dramatically to 1,000. Here, he explains why.

Ageing is a physical phenomenon happening to our bodies, so at some point in the future, as medicine becomes more and more powerful, we will inevitably be able to address ageing just as effectively as we address many diseases today.

I claim that we are close to that point because of the SENS (Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence) project to prevent and cure ageing.

It is not just an idea: it's a very detailed plan to repair all the types of molecular and cellular damage that happen to us over time.

And each method to do this is either already working in a preliminary form (in clinical trials) or is based on technologies that already exist and just need to be combined.

This means that all parts of the project should be fully working in mice within just 10 years and we might take only another 10 years to get them all working in humans.

When we get these therapies, we will no longer all get frail and decrepit and dependent as we get older, and eventually succumb to the innumerable ghastly progressive diseases of old age.

We will still die, of course - from crossing the road carelessly, being bitten by snakes, catching a new flu variant etcetera - but not in the drawn-out way in which most of us die at present.

So, will this happen in time for some people alive today? Probably. Since these therapies repair accumulated damage, they are applicable to people in middle age or older who have a fair amount of that damage.

I think the first person to live to 1,000 might be 60 already.

It is very complicated, because ageing is. There are seven major types of molecular and cellular damage that eventually become bad for us - including cells being lost without replacement and mutations in our chromosomes.

Each of these things is potentially fixable by technology that either already exists or is in active development.

'Youthful not frail'

The length of life will be much more variable than now, when most people die at a narrow range of ages (65 to 90 or so), because people won't be getting frailer as time passes.

The average age will be in the region of a few thousand years. These numbers are guesses, of course, but they're guided by the rate at which the young die these days.

If you are a reasonably risk-aware teenager today in an affluent, non-violent neighbourhood, you have a risk of dying in the next year of well under one in 1,000, which means that if you stayed that way forever you would have a 50/50 chance of living to over 1,000.

And remember, none of that time would be lived in frailty and debility and dependence - you would be youthful, both physically and mentally, right up to the day you mis-time the speed of that oncoming lorry.

Should we cure ageing?

Curing ageing will change society in innumerable ways. Some people are so scared of this that they think we should accept ageing as it is.

I think that is diabolical - it says we should deny people the right to life.

The right to choose to live or to die is the most fundamental right there is; conversely, the duty to give others that opportunity to the best of our ability is the most fundamental duty there is.

There is no difference between saving lives and extending lives, because in both cases we are giving people the chance of more life. To say that we shouldn't cure ageing is ageism, saying that old people are unworthy of medical care.

Playing God?

People also say we will get terribly bored but I say we will have the resources to improve everyone's ability to get the most out of life.

People with a good education and the time to use it never get bored today and can't imagine ever running out of new things they'd like to do.

And finally some people are worried that it would mean playing God and going against nature. But it's unnatural for us to accept the world as we find it.

Ever since we invented fire and the wheel, we've been demonstrating both our ability and our inherent desire to fix things that we don't like about ourselves and our environment.

We would be going against that most fundamental aspect of what it is to be human if we decided that something so horrible as everyone getting frail and decrepit and dependent was something we should live with forever.

If changing our world is playing God, it is just one more way in which God made us in His image.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4003063.stm
--

So, should we extend peoples lives this far? Are we playing God? Discuss!

:)

Last edited:
So Messi could dominant football for the next 970+ years :O

It's science isn't it?

Believe logical science over the illogical argument of God creating people to die at a certain time...

Interesting article, but to imply Science shouldn't make people live longer due to it being against Gods will/nature is crazy because 1) nature is but an element and 2) god is just a myth. Science is Science and if anyone is blind enough to not see the facts of history that 200 years ago if you lived to 40 you were considered lucky then their theory opposing this as just the society/Science world we live in due to it being against this 'god' is essentially like the Ancient Greeks refusal to investigate myths because it would be against Zeus' will.

Anyway if you couldn't tell I'm an atheist, brilliant steps forward if life expectancy rises at the predicted rate at least in first world countries anyway and anyone debating otherwise is just crazy and dated in my view.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in this should read up on some of Ray Kurzweil's ideas about the Singularity. His ideas lean towards the technological side with nanobots that would live inside us to enhance and heal us etc. A lot of it is touched upon in the documentary Transcendent Man.

It's science isn't it?

Believe logical science over the illogical argument of God creating people to die at a certain time...

Interesting article, but to imply Science shouldn't make people live longer due to it being against Gods will/nature is crazy because 1) nature is but an element and 2) god is just a myth. Science is Science and if anyone is blind enough to not see the facts of history that 200 years ago if you lived to 40 you were considered lucky then their theory opposing this as just the society/Science world we live in due to it being against this 'god' is essentially like the Ancient Greeks refusal to investigate myths because it would be against Zeus' will.

Anyway if you couldn't tell I'm an atheist, brilliant steps forward if life expectancy rises at the predicted rate at least in first world countries anyway and anyone debating otherwise is just crazy and dated in my view.

Best bit is, this proves that either A) it's not God's will to live for ages or B) God isn't omnipotent, because he can't prevent us from doing it.

I for one intend to live for a normal lifespan. 1000 years is just... naaah.

It's science isn't it?

I'm very much atheist, the 'playing God' is more just metaphorical than a religious meaning.

The bigger problems are less that it's against God's will, but if everyone lives for so long, how does the population cope? The Earth is already being stretched, would we need China like population controls? Find another inhabitable planet etc.

Although I totally agree with you on religion obstructing science, there was a thread a bit back where a few of us debated it for pages upon pages. :p

And theoretically medicine can cure everything and make us almost immortal as we discover more about the cell, stem cell treatments etc. Just that law of averages states we will eventually be hit by a train etc. :)

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Best bit is, this proves that either A) it's not God's will to live for ages or B) God isn't omnipotent, because he can't prevent us from doing it.

I for one intend to live for a normal lifespan. 1000 years is just... naaah.

What's a normal lifespan? If life expectancy is 80 now, it will surely be at least 150 by the time you're 80 yourself?

And I feel this is the right time to resurrect my Santa argument!! :D

santa_vs_god.png

Couldn't hack living 1,000 years. World will be so overpopulated it would kill it. widespread famine, water shortage, raw materias lasting incredibly short space of time....would be unbearable. Be like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Think I'll pass on that. And on a sidenote, being stuck with the same woman for god knows how long? Err......

Couldn't hack living 1,000 years. World will be so overpopulated it would kill it. widespread famine, water shortage, raw materias lasting incredibly short space of time....would be unbearable. Be like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Think I'll pass on that

Those problems are assuming only medicine advances this far. We can already artificially create food, it won't be too long before we can theoretically feed the population solely through mass producing artificial GM foods. It's why everyone who argues against GM crops is an idiot, although the irony that they all believe in protecting the Earth, yet support seeing it being destroyed by forcing it to produce too much for us. Water - there are theories on how we can create that as well, and we know of places in our own solar system that are thought to have water on them, which given an advancement in spacecraft could be extracted for ourselves.

The real problem is how to fit everyone onto the planet. But unification of quantum and relativistic mechanics would produce startling advancements for society which are almost unimaginable, and as space exploration advancements, if inter-galactic exploration is achieved then searching for other planets with usable resources would become much easier.

Those problems are assuming only medicine advances this far. We can already artificially create food, it won't be too long before we can theoretically feed the population solely through mass producing artificial GM foods. It's why everyone who argues against GM crops is an idiot, although the irony that they all believe in protecting the Earth, yet support seeing it being destroyed by forcing it to produce too much for us. Water - there are theories on how we can create that as well, and we know of places in our own solar system that are thought to have water on them, which given an advancement in spacecraft could be extracted for ourselves.

The real problem is how to fit everyone onto the planet. But unification of quantum and relativistic mechanics would produce startling advancements for society which are almost unimaginable, and as space exploration advancements, if inter-galactic exploration is achieved then searching for other planets with usable resources would become much easier.

Like in Star Wars. Would be awesome!

Also if intergalactic travel were to become possible, imagine the other sort of lifeforms we could potentially come across? And would we accept them, or as usual, because they are different, simply push them aside into a minority, declare ourselves superior (lol), and decimate their homeworlds? totally hypothetical I acknowledge, but we don't know what's out there after all.

Last edited:

Also if intergalactic travel were to become possible, imagine the other sort of lifeforms we could potentially come across? And would we accept them, or as usual, because they are different, simply push them aside into a minority, declare ourselves superior (lol), and decimate their homeworlds? totally hypothetical I acknowledge, but we don't know what's out there after all.

Stephen Hawking argued that if aliens had visited us, then they would pillage us all in order to use Earth's resources to avoid their own home planets population issue. We'd probably also do likewise to others.

Well, it is the thing we're best at. Over all of human history, we've perfected one thing, and that's killing other organisms. Of course, it could be that they've developed just the same as us: one would assume Darwinism spreads wherever there is competition for life, and almost all life has had to compete in order to survive (again, one would assume).

Is this turning into a God vs Logical common sense debate?
No?

Shame. :'(

''Why do I want to live for 1000 years?''

To make sure I *ss and flashdance on Sepp Blatters grave of course.

Have to give myself some sort of generous window, 1000 years=Plenty of time to make sure...

Jesus how did that go dead...

I don't think there's anyone to argue with since we both agree. XD

I probably killed it in the final few pages when they couldn't answer my questions about Santa and God. :p

Not being funny or anything, but if I lived to be 1000 I think I'd be incredibly bored. Imagine collecting your pension for 930 years :/ That's a lot of time in the Post Office.

We need to find a believer and point him to the thread...

Not to persecute, but a one sided debate is nothing short of communist thoughts worthy of Stalin's Russia, guess we'll just wait and see if anyone thinks playing god is wrong in relation to the OP story...

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Not being funny or anything, but if I lived to be 1000 I think I'd be incredibly bored. Imagine collecting your pension for 930 years :/ That's a lot of time in the Post Office.

On the upside though, you'd get to spend 90 pct of the time dancing on Sepp Blatters grave to the tune of 'wacka wacka'...

On the upside though, you'd get to spend 90 pct of the time dancing on Sepp Blatters grave to the tune of 'wacka wacka'...

Am I the only one who immediately thought "Pac-man"?

As long as I live to dance on Thatcher's grave I'm happy, though I may take some time out to do a crafty moonwalk on Blatter's as well.