Athe~

Reaction score
Well, after my supposedly 'final' save got boring, I decided to start another one and try a different tactical approach. I've mostly used formations with 3 midfielders (4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, deep 4-2-3-1) during my time playing FM, and when I did use a 4-4-2 I always had a creative, deep lying forward paired with a poacher or adv forward. My attempts to use a target man on either type of formation have failed horribly (Except for one tactic in 11.0 with Arles-Avignon in which Charisteas was my best player, but that was a one off).

I have, however, seen many people having success with such formations, thus I blame my tactical narrowmindedness for my failure.

For those of you that have successfully implemented this in your tactics, how have you set them up? What roles do you assign to your midfielders? I'm not asking for a ready-made tactic because I do enjoy making my own, but seeing as that hasn't worked out so far I could use a few tips.

set your Cm's to cross from deep aim target man, crossing sometimes/often
set your wingers to cross from mixed, tm and crossing always, no long shots, not even through balls, little to no creative freedom and very attacking *hug touchline* run from deep always and run with ball always

use exploit flanks and passing focus out wide, play 3/4 width and 3/4 tempo, set your Fb's to cross from deep and look for the overlap while running with the ball sometimes and always crossing!

Make sure you use two defensive mids (you dont need super creative ones, they will win the ball back and play it out wide, thats all you need them to do, so 1 Cm defend and a ball winner or Cm support is all)

set TM play ball to (head if jumping and heading over 16 each) and mixed if strong, good in the air and fairly quick (Carrol) have a Poacher next to him that just runs from deep always and runs with ball, crosses from the byline often, no long shots or through balls no freedom! moves into channels and short passing.

play Rigid - attack (rigid will ensure each player does what he is told) play with a normal to deep defensive line so you can draw them on before playing it wide and nailing them on the counter attack!

you have made me want to create a real Target Man tactic now :p

hope this helps

Gonna give it a shot and see how it turns out.

Didn't go too well, in all honesty.

Last edited:
Allowing that many miedfilders to run from deep never worked for me in fm2011.Especially the CM's.I always use DLP-support and CM-defend.If I don't have a DLP,I set the MCa's runs to rarely.This way the other players have passing options
Regarding the wingers,I use one on support and the other on attack based on my FCa's skills.This is important going forward cause it creates diferent dynamics.If you have W-supp and adv forward on the same side,the advanced forward will come deeper and wider and be more involved in the build up,both creating and scoring.But if your FCa is only good at scoring,you want to play a W-attack on the same side "filling" that wide space so the striker doesn't move there to often