FM Base Challenge of the Month 5 (September)

Pompey_Dan

theboydonegood.net
Reaction score
A NEW MONTH, A NEW CHALLENGE!

P Bored of your usual Football Manager game?
P Want a test to your finely honed managerial skills?
P Want to compete against other fm-base members without the need for a network game?

Then the Challenge of the month could be just what you've been looking for!

Each month we will post a new challenge, exploring all corners of the Football Manager world. Most challenges are no more than one season long so it doesn’t require any great commitment.

The challenges aren't always easy and a good understanding of Football Manager 2010 is required. But you can play at your own pace and the number of entries is not restricted, so if at first you don't succeed try again!

Last month we challenged you to get the best out of an ageing superstar following their shock move to Hull City. In a close run battle, Tezz was crowned winner of the August challenge edging ahead of scouse2006 on their player's "average rating" only! Take a bow son!

Since last month’s challenge proved to be quite popular we are staying in England and the Premier League, taking a quick journey up the A1 to Sunderland.

Read the OP carefully as it will give you instructions on setting the game up together with the rules you must abide by.

picture.php

FM Base Challenge of the Month 5 (September): “Nine Lives”

Sunderland AFC also go by the nickname “The Black Cats” and, as we all know, cats have nine lives... but can you hang on to all of yours?

As the newly appointed manager of Sunderland you will begin this month’s challenge with all nine lives intact, but one will be taken away for every:

picture.php
10 games the team lose

picture.php
10 goals they concede

picture.php
20 yellow cards the players pick up

picture.php
single red card they receive.

This is a tough challenge so, to help make life a little easier, only competitive league games will count. You have just one season, winning isn’t everything but losing is.... you’ll need your team to be miserly in defence but not too clumsy in front of the ref!

Lose all your lives and the challenge is over, how many lives you keep hold of will determine your position on the leader-board. In the event of a tied leader-board the number of league points obtained, followed by league goal difference and number of league goals scored, will determine the winner.

picture.php

SET UP

To set up the challenge create a new game from the start screen, you must use patch 10.3.0 with NO edits. Select England as the ONLY playable nation down to at least League Two.

You can choose any database size you like and can include additional players from any nation.

The boxes marked "use real players", and "enable player attribute masking" MUST be ticked.

Next go to preferences and disable the auto-save feature, now you can "Start Game"
Once the game has loaded add yourself as a manager (you can use any past experience you like) and select Sunderland as the club you will manage.

RULES

You must read the following rules carefully as your entry may be disqualified if you break them.

1) you cannot manage any other nations/clubs and must refuse any jobs offered to you during the challenge.

2) you cannot holiday during any part of the challenge.

3) the corner tactic exploit is banned, as are all exploit tactics such as Mr Hough’s Wonder Tactic.

4) you can only save your game a maximum of 6 times during the challenge, (once for every 2 months, so make sure you have disabled the auto-save feature!)

5) on completing the challenge you must post the following screenshots to register your entry and be placed on the leader-board:

Manager profile
Manager history - achievements
Fixtures/results for season
League table
Premier League team stats/Red Cards
Premier League team stats/Yellow Cards
Transfer history
Game status

(If you don't know how to post screenshots, then check out this thread: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f71/how-to-take-a-screenshot-of-fm-2010-t24007.html)

6) you must provide any other screenshots or details requested by the thread originator, his decision is final!

7) the closing date for entries is 30th September 2010

GOOD LUCK!

«««LEADERBOARD«««

1) madmonkey (6 lives remaining)
2) cooper123456 (2 lives remaining)

Last edited:
Oh good Jesus. THIS is a real challenge :D I'm on it ;)

Your challenges are pure genious Dan.
I may start this later.

sounds fun, i shall try this one, and hope to improve on last months 6th place finish. i assume its just one season.

what happens if more than one person has the same number of lifes left?

Welcome to everyone taking on this challenge, it comes with a health warning as it isn't easy!

sounds fun, i shall try this one, and hope to improve on last months 6th place finish. i assume its just one season.
what happens if more than one person has the same number of lifes left?

High madmonkey, if it's tied then...

In the event of a tied leader-board the number of league points obtained, followed by league goal difference and number of league goals scored, will determine the winner.

Whopper of an idea Dan! Might start a bit later

going to give this ago mate, I dont need to post anything until the end of the season do I.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

ps can I use installments

going to give this ago mate, I dont need to post anything until the end of the season do I.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

ps can I use installments

No need to post until you've completed the challenge Will, and yep, installments are allowed mate. :)

I won the EPL with Sunderland, altough I didn't do some of the things you have there, and I didn't edit anything, around november the board added an extra 20 million or smt. I always pay 48 months so I had some good players.

I know you guys won't believe me but what can we do --'

hard challenge this one , just checked out a sunderland game i did a while ago and i would have finished with -6 lives lol! (6 reds, 50 yellows and 49 goals conceded) i think the problem is the midfield core of cattermole and cana. they are probably the two most dirty mids in the prem on fm

And if the cards counted I'd have a hard time.. Cana had about 17 or 18 cards xD and Cattermole is near 15 I think xD

Gonna start this up now. Hopefully I'll keep my crown of FM Base's Challenge of the Month. ;)

hard challenge this one , just checked out a sunderland game i did a while ago and i would have finished with -6 lives lol! (6 reds, 50 yellows and 49 goals conceded) i think the problem is the midfield core of cattermole and cana. they are probably the two most dirty mids in the prem on fm

And if the cards counted I'd have a hard time.. Cana had about 17 or 18 cards xD and Cattermole is near 15 I think xD

You're starting to see what you'll need to do to succeed... it'll take a mixture of careful squad preparation, well thought out transfer dealings and good tactics. ;)

im enjoying this one, too. will probably have it done tomorrow. 3 games in (birmingham, Chelsea, everton) , 5 goals for, 2 against, 5 points. no bookings.