Jack Fulham

Reaction score
Yes I am bored, so I decided to make this thread, the idea of it is too stop people spamming with Story threads which never get done. I saw a lot of Stories happening around two months ago that never got finished or didn't complete at least a season. I thought this may be helpful. I have not seen a thread like it on forum.

1. Update your thread regularly to keep readers interested. (International Management may take longer due to Holidaying)

2. Do not make a thread with the same team which a active board member may be using as this can sometimes result in arguments. (An exception would be challenges set on FM-Base)

3. Try to make your team a challenge instead of looking for instant success with teams such as Barca, Man United, Madrid and Inter Milan.

4. It would be recommend to at least play 10 League games before starting thread because not everyone goes past pre-season.

5. Try to complete at least one season of your thread.

6. Tell readers when you have finished your thread.

7. Do not use FMTRE or any other method of cheating. (Downloading tactics from forum does not count as cheating)

8. Try to start with a team in a different league (not necessarily Lower Leagues), this will get your thread more fans or viewers.

9. Post screenshots of your team, successes or players. Do this by alt + F9. This thread may help http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f68/take-a-screenshot-of-fm-2009-t10216.html

10. Add your own opinion on results and features such as your own player of the month, also add anything interesting that happens in your game to keep readers interested.

11. Try to interact with the people reading, give them reasons behind new signings etc and ask them their opinion on your progress.

12. Do not update your thread to often, make sure your thread doesn't get too many update posts. Try and include screenshots of League Table, Player Stats, Current Squad, Confidence and any outstanding players stats in your update posts.

13. Try to post your results in monthly reviews instead of just posting every result in one post.

14. Try not to do full reports on every match, not because we don't like it but because it is very tedious for the author once you do it a lot.

15. Add pictures to your thread at your own will but sometimes they are too big and tend to clutter threads.

16. Although good luck posts and well done posts are very nice, for readers, only try and post if you have something helpful to say to the author, it would be better to thank the author on his post instead of cluttering the thread with 'well done' and 'good luck' posts. This makes it easier for forum members and guests to trawl through the thread.

Feel free to post any more advice that I can add to list thanks.

Last edited:
Good few pointers there mate.

Good idea mate, I try to do most of those things if I make a story thread, but takes up a lot of time with all the continual posting and updates and you start to find you have no time to play the game, that's what happened to me with my AFC Wimbledon story, I did do 4 seasons though so :p I've got another one you could put up - Try to interact with the people reading, give them reasons behind new signings etc and ask them their opinion on your progress :)

That should get rid of a few Spam threads. I was thinking of doing a Newcastle story when the game comes out, so thanks for the advice. :D

If I could add one?

Done update your thread too often, try and do monthly updates etc. so that your thread doesn't get too many update posts. Try and include screenshots of League Table, Player Stats, Current Squad, Confidence and any outstanding players stats in your update posts.

Thanks for this thread. I hate it when people make a story and then just leave it. Irritates me to no end.

This should be Sticky

Done.

If I could add one?

Done update your thread too often, try and do monthly updates etc. so that your thread doesn't get too many update posts. Try and include screenshots of League Table, Player Stats, Current Squad, Confidence and any outstanding players stats in your update posts.

Yes a very good point.

My opinion for users is exactly what Jack has said. Update every few days with maybe a monthly summery rather than posting about every single result you have.

A Prime example is rrrrr what ever his username is, He posts every single result and sometimes post match comments etc etc which will lead to 8-9 daft good luck posts and by the time other members get around to reading the thread we are 12 pages in and they might think....screw that.

One of two pictures are a great idea but don't make them too big or abuse the idea.

Don't start a thread until you have played 10-15 or have 100% committed yourself to the thread.

The staff have been talking about this over the last few weeks and we were thinking about limiting people to One thread each for stories if things keep going the way they are.

Alrite just had dinner, I'll change a few things now

Cheers Kris that is useful, edited it now

Last edited:
this is a good thread, should prove to be helpful :)
maybe this should be made a sticky?

good advice, i hate it when people play as real madrid and think they are good, im trying with bolton right now, aint doing good but when i start it will feel a whole lot better than winning with real madrid

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

im gonna try a challenge using these guidelines, who wants the pleasure of chosing my team?

yeah they are helpful tips, i've done my fiorentina in fm 2010 thread a little too early and then my game started to go all spazzed, so i had to delete so i guess i can't do that one anymore:'(

im thinking of starting a man united story 2moro

i wont post every match like i always do then

thanks for the tips

if you want to see a good story check out rrrrrrrrr's thread. However, he closed it after his Aussie game