StuW

Why So Serious?
Reaction score
So, you are looking for something to get you into a long-term save. Something to keep you glued to a save for more than three seasons. Look no further than here. Find fallen giants, hidden gems, proper challenges, and everything else here.

Also, feel free to post some long term save ideas for others, to inspire them into taking it on.

KEY

Rebuilding-1.png
- Rebuild Required
Promotion-1.png
- Promotion(s) Needed

Continental-1.png
- Past European Pedigree
Debt-1.png
- Poor Finances/Financial Worries

Challenge 1 - A True Fallen Giant

B6LNf.png
STADE DE REIMS
Rebuilding-1.png
Promotion-1.png
Continental-1.png

THE PAST

As one of France's early 'superclubs', Reims were once the big name in French football. Originally an amateur club, the club joined the professional ranks in 1945, at the end of WWII. Four years later, the club were crowned champions, followed with league triumphs in 1953 and 1955. A year later, in 1956, the club reached the first ever European Cup final, to be defeated 4-3 by Real Madrid, which was Real's first of nine wins. Three years later, Reims were in the final again, and again they faced Real, but failed to lift the trophy, losing 2-0.

1963 saw the decline of the club. The previous season, they had finished runners-up to Monaco, but found themselves 17th the following season, which saw the club relegated to the 2nd tier. The club then became a 'yo-yo' side, never being able to re-establish themselves in the top flight. Financial problems hurt the club further, and in 1992, the club folded, after being declared ineligible to play in the third tier by the FFP. The club did reform in 1992 under the name Stade de Reims Champagne. 1999 saw the team revert to the original name, but again became a yo-yo club, between Ligue 2 and Championnat National, but have spent two consecutive seasons in Ligue 2.

Famous Players

Carlos Bianchi - 1973–1977 & 1984–1985 - 142(116 goals) ~ 14 times capped by Argentina
Raymond Kopa - 1951–1956 & 1959–1967 - 402(84) ~ 45 caps for France
Just Fontaine - 1956–1962 - 131(122) ~ 21 French caps, 30 goals

MODERN DAY

In the past 10 years, the club has found itself falling and promoted between Ligue 2 and the National league. However, the club have found some sense of stability, after a 10th place finish in 2010-2011 season, and will look to build upon that this season. As of today(18th October 2011) the club are sat top of Ligue 2 after 11 games, and are hoping to continue to progress, steadily working towards their former glory days.

To take on Reims, you will certainly need to look for bargains, with no transfer budget in the first season. However, it is the true FM fairytale save should it be challenged.

Always had a soft spot for Reims, and led them to success in fm 11.

Btw, you should mention Delio Onnis as a famous player too, because even if he didn't make his name at Reims, he started his European career there, and he is the all-time leading goalscorer in the French Ligue 1.

Always had a soft spot for Reims, and led them to success in fm 11.

Btw, you should mention Delio Onnis as a famous player too, because even if he didn't make his name at Reims, he started his European career there, and he is the all-time leading goalscorer in the French Ligue 1.

I did think about it, but I just named the players that made their name with the club. I am going to give them a try in FM when it is released, seems like a real fun challenge.

I'll give this a go when the full game comes out, looks interesting :)

I did this in CM 03/04 :)

they were in french 3rd tier but had a lot of money back then - at least in the game! managed to win champions league after a few seasons, Robinho being my super expensive purchase (H)

They are certainly a club you can take on and improve, and do so in your own style. First season should be a matter of consolidating, and trying to get the finances up, so you can push on in the 2nd season. Also, try to loan some young players from Ligue 1, such as Bakambu, Lenny Nangis etc, which won't cost much in wages.

I've got idea about some sort of 'Beat sir Alex Ferguson' challenge.It must contain long serving at some club, beating records of the scotsman like times won the league/won champions leagues, beat his overall percentage of games he won, producing legendary players from your club etc. if you have something in mind about this sort of challenge feel free to add to it.And last but not least i would like someone to make the challenge thread cause i am currently unable to do it, i think cause i don't have enough posts yet.And dont tell me you are not tired of the current challenges so far...;) And its not a must to start with United, is even better if you decide to start with lower profile club and way more prestigious if you do the challenge with it.

p.s.: if some enthusiast would make the topic for me drop me a pm and i`ll resend you the thread's first post with the complete challenge

Last edited:
I've had an idea for a Sir Alex Ferguson career thing, try and win the title with every team he played or has managed in his career. So you could start with Queens Park, then move onto St Johnstone, then Dunfermline, then Rangers, then Falkirk, then Ayr, then East Stirling, then St Mirren, then Aberdeen, then Scotland and then Man U. What do you think?

Dario Gradi is another option, try and successfully develop a world class youth system and spend 28 seasons at one team.. ^_^

Conversely the Dario Ferguson Challenge...mixing

Dario's longevity
Ferguson's Trophy count

and the development of youth from both.

The ultimate goal being World Club Championship, Champs League and Premiership with a fully Home Grown Team at Crewe Alexandra.

Last edited:
I've had an idea for a Sir Alex Ferguson career thing, try and win the title with every team he played or has managed in his career. So you could start with Queens Park, then move onto St Johnstone, then Dunfermline, then Rangers, then Falkirk, then Ayr, then East Stirling, then St Mirren, then Aberdeen, then Scotland and then Man U. What do you think?

I like that idea. Maybe you have to win a trophy or promotion with a team before moving onto the next (not necessarily in order). I'm in a Scottish game at the moment, but I might do it later on (or find another manager to emulate). Good thinking!