AM32

Reaction score
I sold Bacary Sagna in the Summer of the first season to Man City, and for a while I played Francis Coquelin in that role, but then I played Carl Jenkinson there and he has adapted well to being the first choice right-back and I don't think I need a new one. He earned some caps for Finland as a result of his form, and his average rating's good.

I hope I'm posting in the right forum, but I just wanted to see how good Carl Jenkinson gets or if he becomes one of those players that goes out on loan every season and eventually ends up at a lower league club.

Maybe a different save databases, but in my Arsenal save, he wasn't living up to expectations. ATM I still have Sagna and as a RB replacement, I bough Sime Vrsaljko who is much better than Jenkinson.

Jenkinson is not very good on FM.
You'll be better off investing in another young right back, like Vrsaljko or Romario. I would wait until a decent regen comes about!

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is also very underrated in the game! There's no point keeping him... :(

Before anyone reads this, my opinion of Jenkinson is entirely based on patch 12.2 and as far as I'm aware a ton of Arsenal youngsters were underrated in older patches but have since been revamped in the latest patch. So if you're on an older patch then he'll probably turn out really ****.

But in response to Lol and Konflict, I would have to disagree. If Jenkinson were to be given good game time, I would argue Jenkinson turns out almost as good as Vrsaljko. In my 2019 AFC Wimbledon save (patch 12.2), he played very little for the first four seasons before moving on a free contract to a Finnish club in his native country (with average training facilities) where he begun to play week in week out. By about 2018, he had superb physical stats which were quite similar to Vrsaljko with 14 Acceleration, 15 Pace, 18 Stamina and vastly better crossing than Vrsaljko at 16. His marking, tackling, anticipation, concentration, positioning were all around 12, 13 and 14 which may not be Vrsaljko class but is still Premier League material.

But I think it's fair to say if you put Jenkinson in Vrsaljko's place as Sagna's deputy for the first few seasons and perhaps gave him 10 first-team league appearances to start with and a good cup run, he would turn into a fine Gunner with 15/16 acceleration/pace, 17+ crossing and at least 14+ in all defensive attributes. His initial potential report classes him as 2.5* and a good premier league right-back for Arsenal but all youngsters have underrated potential by the big club's scouts and doesn't reflect their true potential and could easily be a top-four starter with the right attention and care.

That said, it's hard to argue Vrsaljko isn't a better right back than Jenkinson post-development especially considering Vrsaljko is much better initially, develops more rapidly also and will undeniably prove an inexpensive shortcut for one of the game's top three future right-backs. But if you are a true Gunner and want to grow your players, Jenkinon's no lightweight after a few years and can compete with your squad. :)

Also, Chamberlain's no slouch either. Liverpool signed him for 20million in my save and he's turned into a magnificent winger. Last season he earned 9 league goals and 17 assists in 32 league games at 27 years old!

I actually started a new Arsenal save myself in the new patch (3rd season) and given a chance, these initial Arsenal players can become leading Premier League players, seriously; Szczesny, Bartley, Miguel, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Wilshere, Ramsey, Coquelin, Aneke (HUGE SURPRISE!), Miyaichi, Chamberlain and Campbell (BIG SURPRISE also). Others that are showing some promise are Frimpong, Lansbury, Afobe and Wellington Silva however I simply haven't been able to dedicate as much time to the last four player's development and so can't say how they will turn out.

Hope this helped AM32!