The Great San Marino Challenge

you're all having a great start in the SM challenge, keep it up! hopefully the Hall of Fame will soon introduce new members :)

personally I'm having a pretty epic season in all competitions in year 2016/17:

View attachment 226939

San Marino ftw

personally I'm having a pretty epic season in all competitions in year 2016/17:

View attachment 226939

San Marino ftw

Just curious is the Serie A really that bad in 2017. I am just curious cause I just got up to Serie A (need to post my season), and it is looking tough. I had like 5001 odds of winning it, only cause I currently have like 9 people on my squad after getting rid of 27 people last year (either retirements or let go) so I did get three good young players on free's but everyone I kind of wanted who was decently good has no wanting to play for my team.

Plus I was looking at some of the other signings from the league and they are awesome. Just can't believe that you can build up your squad that fast to dominate the league. Especially with only one loss since I never had less than like 7 in a season so far. At least my finances are awesome so hopefully that will work out.

Just curious is the Serie A really that bad in 2017. I am just curious cause I just got up to Serie A (need to post my season), and it is looking tough. I had like 5001 odds of winning it, only cause I currently have like 9 people on my squad after getting rid of 27 people last year (either retirements or let go) so I did get three good young players on free's but everyone I kind of wanted who was decently good has no wanting to play for my team.

Plus I was looking at some of the other signings from the league and they are awesome. Just can't believe that you can build up your squad that fast to dominate the league. Especially with only one loss since I never had less than like 7 in a season so far. At least my finances are awesome so hopefully that will work out.

well with a bit of luck I could have won serie A in 2015/16 (2nd year in top tier) and big finances/budget aren't even that important imo. Look at that 2015/16 season:

View attachment 227200View attachment 227201

typical long-term saves' issues are starting to become evident: teams like Milan and Roma have struggled to replace their aging stars in the last 5-6 years and find themselves out of Italian elite despite spending lots of $$$ in wages. Other teams like Napoli and Inter have many great players and are making excellent new signings, unfortunately (for them...) they're often bad fits for their tactics and formations and soon become useless (eg Inter seem to stockpile top class wingers and strikers despite playing with one top and without wingers).

Add to this the HUGE number of fantastic newgens created every year, and they're often very cheap if not free after being released (why?) by their clubs. Currently I have four amazing youngsters (already important first team players) described as "wonderkids" that cost me a grand total fee of 4,5M euros altogether, while the just decent ones that I got for free are often a big source of profit (sells and especially co-ownerships).

Teams in the 10-20 positions are currently so weak that they're almost automatic 3 points for us, while other big clubs tend to drop points there now and then. That is actually where we build our success.

If you want to take a closer look at our development you're welcome to check my story thread http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2012-stories/87029-not-another-san-marino-story.html and see more in depth season-by-season reviews :)

Probably the easiest league so far, but had to have help from Cisse who I had to sign like 12 games in. Don't let the six point lead deceive you. Actually had the league sealed up with like 7 games left and the rest I basically just used my fringe players to see if I wanted to keep any going into the Serie A. Really didn't keep most since I let go like 27 people. Again didn't get far in the cup, but I guess I would like to change that now since I am in the top. Does that mean I still get the achievement if I finally beat the first Serie A team I meet even though I am in Serie A now?

Also had a player where like half of Serie A teams wanted to co-own for like 2.4-2.6 million and he rejected cause he liked my coach too much. Still I wanted it to to go through so that sucks.​

Last edited:
Probably the easiest league so far, but had to have help from Cisse who I had to sign like 12 games in. Don't let the six point lead deceive you. Actually had the league sealed up with like 7 games left and the rest I basically just used my fringe players to see if I wanted to keep any going into the Serie A. Really didn't keep most since I let go like 27 people. Again didn't get far in the cup, but I guess I would like to change that now since I am in the top. Does that mean I still get the achievement if I finally beat the first Serie A team I meet even though I am in Serie A now?

Also had a player where like half of Serie A teams wanted to co-own for like 2.4-2.6 million and he rejected cause he liked my coach too much. Still I wanted it to to go through so that sucks.​

sorry you can't get the Giant Killer achievement once you become a Serie A club, you'd need to get relegated to Serie B to have another shot at it :p. You did manage The great Escape and Straight A's which is not bad at all!

tip for the co-ownership thing: once you receive an offer, transfer list that player and set him as "not needed", this way he'll be more likely to accept the deal. Worked for me almost every time.

tip for the co-ownership thing: once you receive an offer, transfer list that player and set him as "not needed", this way he'll be more likely to accept the deal. Worked for me almost every time.

Funny thing in the past 3 years of playing this game and countless starts with LLM teams I never had an offer to co-loan a player. Well the time has passed so I guess I can wait until next time. Although I probably will get relegated in a year or so since I will try to use all San Marino players and see if I can get that achievement. I am alright in my first year right now. Right above relegation, but I have had some wins against the top clubs. Also the league is very close. I am in like 15 place or something but I am only like 6 points away from 6th place.

Season 2 - Serie C1a Champions

An extremely tight season saw me win my last game of the season to finish as champions of Serie C1a. Had a winless spell of around 7 or 8 league games just before Christmas which I thought was going to cost me.:D

View attachment 227438View attachment 227441

Also took over the national team this year but apart from a scrappy 3-2 victory over Andorra it's obviously been pretty poor, the national team is awful. Some good news though is that I got a Serie A potential striker through my youth team, although he is dual nationality so is rejecting a call-up!

View attachment 227440 View attachment 227439

Finding it extremely hard to add any players of a good enough standard for Serie B so far and have recieved no co-ownership offers so far so my finances are looking quite poor (Hopefully a couple of Pre-season tournaments will sort them out though) With my current squad I'm just hoping to survive relagation the first year then try to push on from there.

Trying this one. I will definitely make a shortlist for you with some italian players that at the start of the game have a CA of about 45-50, and a PA of around 140-150, will surely help alot !

Hi all I started this a couple of days ago. I normally do challenges like the the english league pyramid from bottom league to prem but going to do this challenge as I've seen it for the last couple of years. I came 3rd in my 1st season but won the play off quite comfortably. I have everybody's faves in scorza and gulraiz tho signed them before I even read about them lol. Well at the beginning of the 2nd season I beat Palermo in the cup away!

View attachment 227610

Some good news though is that I got a Serie A potential striker through my youth team, although he is dual nationality so is rejecting a call-up!​

welcome to my world ;)

View attachment 227751View attachment 227752View attachment 227753View attachment 227754View attachment 227755

Five of my best Sammarinese prospects are currently representing Italy at youth level! They would all be first team players for SMNT, and the last two in particular would make a world of difference for San Marino. FRUSTRATING!​

So these are my screenies of my 1st season. I scored a lot of goals but conceded alot. I tried about 3 different tactics throughout the season and settled on using the oOOooscotsmans (or whatever he's called) tactic. I've used a barca tactic i made myself on other saves but realised that tactic wasn't going to work with club or country! lol
I've also put in a couple of screenies of my epic cup win at serie a palermo.(this is start of the 2nd season) though as usual fm gave me something but spoilt it as in the same game gulraiz got injured for 6 months! doh! hoping for my name to be put on the board soon!

View attachment 227795View attachment 227796View attachment 227798View attachment 227799

My dream cup run continues! beat another serie a team in brescia and ive drawn novarra in the next round with a round appearance money of 440k. Which is much needed with the club been -800k.
View attachment 227861View attachment 227862

Also
1. Kandersson thanks for adding me onto the hall of fame
2. Does anybody have a stadium background for san marino club and country?

Well for whatever reason i can't upload any pictures right now. I try and it says its uploading and when done nothing shows up. So I guess I can just talk about what happened and when I figure out what happened I will add them.

First year in Serie A (2014-2015) was weird. I finished in 11th place, which I was extremely impressed by, and was 39 points off from the leaders (Napoli). I ended up with 48 points with a 14-8-16 record. Another weird thing was Cesena, my parent club, finished in 14th place (behind me) and still made it to the EC since they won the league cup. Almost every match I was favorites (and there was like 3 teams I was huge favorites) I would lose. I think I only beat like 2 teams I easily should of won, although on the flip side some games especially on the road when I was suppose to get dominated I would win 2-0 or even 3-1.

Off-season came and the board kind of hurt me. I got to get youth facilities to improve during the year since I didn't have enough to improve training grounds. So the off-season came and I had the money to improve it and then was taken away since the board decided to add 2,868 seats to our stadium. Granted brings me more money, but I needed the money to improve training grounds to bring in better people. So I added it to my junior coaching staff to improve that as well.

Still haven't signed anyone on fee's and all my players are free's. My payroll went up from like 49K to 110K this year. I do have a little more than I should have players, but most of the players I signed are very injury prone, and the first game I had 8 injures on my roster. Hopefully I can improve to top 10 in the league (have 2001 odds of winning the league which is basically the first year I came in since it doesn't take account for the new players about half of my payroll).

Last note, and I don't know if this means I did wrong on FMTRE (first time I ever used it), that I signed a new individual tv deal. Last one was for 4 million and this one is for 8 million over 3 years.

the next messi is sammarinese; 5 star potential, and i'm in serie a. *** man says he's one of the best of his generation. only he has dual nationality.. any advice?

the next messi is sammarinese; 5 star potential, and i'm in serie a. *** man says he's one of the best of his generation. only he has dual nationality.. any advice?
Try call him up straightaway and get him a cap. if he rejects, ask him to reconsider or whatever. Try and get into his favoured personnel is your last hope then

I'd love to see a screen of him when the site solves issues with attachs

as for dual nationality and SM snubs, what can I say... currently I have FIVE sammarinese starlets representing Italy at various youth levels (plus other rejecting SM even if Italy would never call them), it's really frustrating we can only wait and see.

keep trying and maybe he'll accept in the near future, though probably it will take years for him to give up the idea of playing for Italy. Once your SM starlet get the U19/U21 call-up for Italy then he's lost for YEARS and all you can do is wait.

The good thing is in the end YOU control their career as they're signed with your club, so even if a SM prospect might become good enough to be a full international for Italy it will be hard for them to win a cap without playing first team football with their club... which is YOUR club ;)

end of the day if you're lucky he'll accept SM soon, otherwise you might have to wait until he's 22-23 but his career is in your hands...

so what you're saying is, leave him in the under 20s until italy gives up on him, or vice versa.
as for how good he is, at the age of 15, he is a leading star for serie B, and would be by far and away the national team's best player. he's a central midfielder too, so would prove incredibly influential should he choose us. we're desperate for him, just lost 10-0 to scotland. the only positive is that we can beat most teams with a ranking below 200

I say try to develop him best you can via training and first team action, while also keep calling up for the NT and see if he accepts (btw I think players under 16 cannot play international matches at all).

If/when he gets the call-up from Italy U19/U21 then I'd suggest reducing his first team exposure or maybe loaning him out at lower leagues clubs so that Italy will eventually drop him: it's hard to win a senior cap when you're not playing for your club...

this could harm his development but should give you back your SM starlets some day.