Football Manager 2014 - 14.3 patch

Well guys I officially give up. I'm stopping my save for the moment until the match engine is updated, I've loved and played this game since fm08 and I'm not claiming to be an expert at this game but I just don't enjoy it anymore. Probably gonna go back to fm13 or 12 until updated which I hope is soon!!

Haven't conceded a corner goal since the update, played from dec - march season...what!... thats for me..anyway, i got two person marking the far post.

They have f***ed up the match engine even more. Now when i am clear with one on one with the keeper, i ask myself how they are going to miss the net this time rather than getting ready to celebrate. This is the last game i am buying. Next time i will just pirate it if the same **** remains in fm15

This thing called defending does not exist on this game anymore, after this patch. At least not for me, and yeah, strayed offside 16 times in a game. I don't think Norwich use an offside trap.

Well guys I officially give up. I'm stopping my save for the moment until the match engine is updated, I've loved and played this game since fm08 and I'm not claiming to be an expert at this game but I just don't enjoy it anymore. Probably gonna go back to fm13 or 12 until updated which I hope is soon!!

There will be no more match engine updates for Fm14.

Judging by your post you don't like a challenge. I'd suggest FM12, that was **** easy.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!

I had finally found a great tactic where I was playing exactly the sort of football I wanted and getting the results to go with it. First season went great, winning league and capital one cup with Everton. Second season started brilliantly, leading the league for most of the first half of the season.

Then I installed 14.3

Injuries have crippled my team
Most games I have 60% possession, 10 CCC's...and lose or draw to relegation teams because their GK is suddenly Manuel Neuer on speed.

I am now nearing the end of the season and will be lucky to finish 5th. My once deadly attack has forgotten how to score - my rock solid defence has gone missing (Last seen giving away penalties every other game)

I am so angry because I felt i finally had a save I was really excited about as I had the best tactic so far this game - now i just don't feel I can play it anymore because there doesn't seem to be any logic.

I know form and morale can mess things up but the only reason I have poor form and morale is because suddenly it's impossible to win more than 2 games in a row

I'd say that your second season is much more realistic Alex, and therefore for me the patch has improved the game. For me, I'd like it to be near impossible to win the league with Everton first season even if (not saying you are) exploiting the match engine.

There will be no more match engine updates for Fm14.

Judging by your post you don't like a challenge. I'd suggest FM12, that was **** easy.

What a banal thing to say. There are undoubted issues with this update. GK AI is probably the main one.

When you play a fully contain mentality (ie DON'T LOOK TO SCORE) and are still getting 8 offsides a half, clearly something is wrong.

The question of liking a challenge or not doesn't come into it. If it did, we wouldn't be playing what has historically been a challenging game. However to face a challenge when the ME has been so clearly buffed in favour of AI is demoralising and, considering the time put into the game by most players, extremely frustrating.

What a banal thing to say. There are undoubted issues with this update. GK AI is probably the main one.

When you play a fully contain mentality (ie DON'T LOOK TO SCORE) and are still getting 8 offsides a half, clearly something is wrong.

The question of liking a challenge or not doesn't come into it. If it did, we wouldn't be playing what has historically been a challenging game. However to face a challenge when the ME has been so clearly buffed in favour of AI is demoralising and, considering the time put into the game by most players, extremely frustrating.

You made a decent argument until you claimed the ME was buffed in favour of the AI.

I'd say that your second season is much more realistic Alex, and therefore for me the patch has improved the game. For me, I'd like it to be near impossible to win the league with Everton first season even if (not saying you are) exploiting the match engine.

I don't mind struggling for top 4 which would be realistic - but to be losing points against worse teams because of how the arch engine works is stupid. Having all that possession and chances but no goals over an over again is NOT realistic

Thought i'd just play out the season and try and see if having a pre-season to learn a new tactic will work.

Needless to say I lost the last 3 games to Fulham, West Ham and Swansea - all at least 10 places below me and all in poor form.

You made a decent argument until you claimed the ME was buffed in favour of the AI.

AI GK received a buff, as detailed in notes for .3 patch.

AI GK is one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason, for so many failed attacks and strikers seemingly incapable of scoring despite have (such as in my example) 7 CCS compared to 0 and still drawing/losing.

The AI of the GK is part of the ME.

Ergo, the ME has been buffed in favour of the AI.

I'm not sure I can explain it clearer than that.

THAT BEING SAID

The face that when using commentary only to view the match means I often win by 4-1 or such, compared to struggling to draw when using full match, must mean something is awry somewhere...it's damnably confusing, anyway!

Last edited:
AI GK received a buff, as detailed in notes for .3 patch.

AI GK is one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason, for so many failed attacks and strikers seemingly incapable of scoring despite have (such as in my example) 7 CCS compared to 0 and still drawing/losing.

The AI of the GK is part of the ME.

Ergo, the ME has been buffed in favour of the AI.

I'm not sure I can explain it clearer than that.

THAT BEING SAID

The face that when using commentary only to view the match means I often win by 4-1 or such, compared to struggling to draw when using full match, must mean something is awry somewhere...it's damnably confusing, anyway!

The match engine cannot distinguish between the Ai and the user. You're getting mixed up, which is understandable, given the terminology. All keepers have been improved, yours and the oppositions.

I disagree. My keeper isn't like an 8 armed superman. More like a dribbling child.

I don't know how the match engine works or what has/hasn't been changed. But I haven't seen an opposition team dominate a game but not score, and my GK has never made the amount of saves as the oppositions. Add that to the amount of similar experiences on this forum means there is something wrong

14.3 match engine is better IMO.. I dont concede any more ridiculous Corner goals. Though I still lose some weird matches, but its less now. Injury though is still the same. Also I hate when my CDs close down players way up to the pitch when i instructed them just to stay behind.