Football manager 2010 vs. Championship Manager 2010

Lewis

just lost the game
Reaction score
Hello people of fm-base.
Many people may think that this is a pointless thread, however I think it can help people who are fm fans that are tempted to buy cm. I searched and I didn't find a thread like this.
Basically I will be comparing a number of things from fm 2010 and cm 2010. Feel fair to share your views as well.

Team/player instructions:
The tactics in fm as we all know go into great detail, and are easily manageable. In fm, the tactics that you set can win or lose you a match.
Whenever I use the tactics in cm, it feels like they do little to dictate the way the match goes. For example, you can set up no tactics whatsoever in cm and still win a game, which makes it more unrealistic.
In fm when it comes down to team instructions, you have a lot of options to determine exactly how you want your team to play. However in cm the team instructions are very basic and not very detailed. Having said that, player instructions on cm do actually go into great detail, for example you can even set your player to look to go down to ground a lot.
So for the tactis:
Fm: 8/10
Cm: 6/10

Starting 11 tactics
Picking a winner in this section is not an easy task for me. In football manager 2010, they have now implemented the feature which lets you set a role/duty to every player, which makes it more suited to your tactic. However what dissapointed some people was that it replaced the arrow system, which championship manager still has.
And as well as it being an arrow system, it's not like the previous arrow systems on football manager, where you have to choose a rough location of your arrow. Instead, championship manager lets you put your arrow EXACTLY where you want it. In addition, not only do you get to choose where the player runs, but you also get to choose where they feed the ball.
Cm: 8/10

Set piece management
For many (and I am guilty to this), the set piece creator in championship manager is the single thing that makes me play the game occasionaly. It is simply magnificent, being able to control EXACTLY where your players are, where they run, when they run, and to top it all off, you can watch them practice the set piece in training. Just brilliant. It makes Football manager's set piece design feature look ****.
Fm: 5.5/10

Cm: 9/10

Training
This particular as well of these to games is dominated by championship manager. It's so precise, as suppose football manager's fairly vague training.
In championship manager, you can select individual training (e.g. shooting drills, finishing drills etc), team training (e.g. attack vs. defence, team a vs team b etc), and then general training (e.g. schedule designers).
In football manager, as I stated above, the training is too vague. For example, designing a new schedule can be difficult, especially as it gives you no real idea of how much the players assigned to the schedule will improve. In championship manager, this is different. There is a graph at the bottom displaying the chance the player has of improving with the schedule, and also how much chance the player has of injury, and more. It even has a table which displays what attributes your players will improve and how much chance they have on proving upon it in percentage, e.g finishing: 10% would be a good chance.
And the best thing is, you can watch your training drills!
Fm: 6/10
Cm: 9/10

Scouting
There are certain aspects of the scouting in football manager that are better than championship manager, and vice versa.
Football manager scout reports would beat championship manager's scout reports any day. The fm scout reports are so much more detailed than the cm ones. For instance, the fm scout reports are complete with strengths, weaknesses, best positions, personality, current ability, potential ability, transfer information and a final rating (with star rating). However cm's is a lot less detailed, and only contains strengths, weaknesses and a final verdict (with no star rating).
However the scouting network itself is better in championship manager, mainly because you can invest in building up knowledge on other countries, e.g. 3'000 p/w will get a lot of search results. This is especially good if you are a team below the premiership, as it is a good way of finding hidden gems.
Cm: 8.5/10

Match Engine
I have to be honest here, the championship manager match engine is actually terrible. There are so many bugs it's uncountable. With most management games, you lose a match due to the tactics. In championship manager 2010, more often than not you lose the match because of the match engine. It is a mystery how one minute a player is dribbling with the ball, then the ball is behind him. It looks arcady, and to be honest, Eidos could have done a lot more to make it look a lot neater. To top it off, you cannot change the view of the match engine to 2D.
The 3D match engine in football manager 2010 imo is a great improvement of the one in fm 2009, and has a lot of views you can choose from, including the classical 2D view.
Cm: 4/10

The final verdict
So it's time to say what game I think is better. In my opinion, championship manager takes a while to get used to, and if you've been playing football manager all of your life, there is a strong taste that championship manager will leave a bitter taste in your mouth. However I believe that it is worth a buy, and if you can get success with it, it can be highly addictive.
Fm: 9.5/10
Cm: 7/10

So that was the review, hopefully this has helped anyone that is thinking of buying cm but is not sure if it's good enough. Feel free to leave any comments saying you agree/disagree with me. Thanks for reading guys :)

Some pictures of cm 2010

Team instructions:
jose2010_team.jpg

Set Piece creator:
View attachment 60795

Training:
View attachment 60797

Scouting Network:
View attachment 60798

Match Engine:
cm2010pic_004.jpg

I hate the way they rate the stats out of 100 instead of 20, which is why I'll never play it tbh.

I hate the way they rate the stats out of 100 instead of 20, which is why I'll never play it tbh.

Yeah that is an aspect i don't particularly like of the game. For instance if someone has a finishing of 65, it's difficult to tell if that's good or bad :S

I only started to play Football Manager when Football Manager 2009 came out, as it was out before the next Championship Manager so I thought I'd buy it and see what it's like. Never looked back.

But before that I was a Championship Manager guy, played them all since Championship Manager 2002, and they got better every year. But Championship Manager 2010 is just ****! And to make it worse? They make you pay for updates.

Football Manager FTW

I only started to play Football Manager when Football Manager 2009 came out, as it was out before the next Championship Manager so I thought I'd buy it and see what it's like. Never looked back.

But before that I was a Championship Manager guy, played them all since Championship Manager 2002, and they got better every year. But Championship Manager 2010 is just ****! And to make it worse? They make you pay for updates.

Football Manager FTW
Totally agree with you on that one, imo the cm's were great up to 2009 and then somehow it all wrong :S

I began playing FM in 07. CM for me was much better before that because of the player runs and ability to move a player anywhere on the field[tactic screen]. But FM's engine ect is much more smooth. Also that out of 100 thing is also a factor.

Yeah that is an aspect i don't particularly like of the game. For instance if someone has a finishing of 65, it's difficult to tell if that's good or bad :S

Yeah it really does sound tricky... If only it was easy to convert into percentages.

Never play CM and this is my first time in buying the full game so I can't really judge.Looking at the reviews,it doesn't sound as good as FM,so I'm sticking to FM :)

Never play CM and this is my first time in buying the full game so I can't really judge.Looking at the reviews,it doesn't sound as good as FM,so I'm sticking to FM :)

Yeah, as I said mate i think it's worth a try, but the only thing that motivates me to play it is the set piece creator ^^)

My most favourite management game, LMA Manager.. Less complicated but still a very good game, I was very very sad when they announced they would not be making another edition because I think it could compete if it had carried on.. Anybody elses opinion?

The only bit about CM I prefer is the match engine.

Definintly FM is the one and only...

back in the day of CM3 and CM4 life was sweet, when they parted it was decision time..

CM or FM, i bought both and couldnt stand CM at all! It was as if they got the deal on all the worst bits of the joined company version and FM got all the best bits!

Since the divide i have never looked at CM again, its just not in the same league anymore

i agree ^^ LMA is a great game, very simple but very encapsulating! im hoping for it to come back next year

I really did not like LMA, dunno why, I just didn't :( FM is the only one for me now :)

Yes LMA is class, really get into it. I used to do seasons in 2 hours or so, also FM is definately the best, I got CM and it was too slow. CM08 was v. good though.