From the ash: We still burn Red!: A Sunderland Story

Meehar

Reaction score
Prelude

It’s as if it were yesterday. I moved from promising youth sensation to a bar brawling waste of life; at least that’s what I last heard from the very man that caused this to happen to me. My father. I can remember the headlines and stories that were published and broadcasted. “Promising English starlet walks out of Manchester United Academy.” Heh, ”walks out,” at least the media were on my side at that time, very little people knew what happened that day, when I personally banned myself, never to step foot near Carrington again. Come to think of it, very little people would know it was me, because I was Spanish with English citizenship.

If it weren’t for my temper I could of very well been one of Fergie’s Fledglings, the youngest and better looking of them too and not toot my own horn, probably the best. Who knows? I was going through a lot then, my dad had cheated on my mom and walked out on his family before I even hit a year old, and then had the nerve to come back 15 years later to pretend to be a father simply because my talent, that he took no part in nurturing, started to show.

He came knocking at 5am offering to take me to training, as if he was ever present in before that morning. Mom looked puzzled and my grandmother had her frying pan in arms waiting to strike. I struck before she did though, one of the best right hooks I’ve thrown to this day and I’ve thrown many since my slump began.

Tears streaming down my face and fist clenched I ran off to training. When I got there Eric Harrison’s expression showed that he knew something was wrong with me. He was the closest thing to a father figure I had next to Fergie himself. I avoided eye contact with him and began training, still running around off emotion. Then it happened.

A strong tackle from a then fresh Gary Neville came in on me, he missed the ball entirely. It didn’t bring much harm to anyone, but I was already ****** off and I foolishly took this as my opportunity to vent. That’s when my second right hook of my slump came. It brushed his face, as he was able to dodge it quickly, swear he would of gotten brain damage if it had hit him though. He didn’t react in anger though but I was still boiling and kicked out at him but Giggsy and Becks held me by now, still they weren’t enough and I broke free rushing and Gary again. Brian Kidd had stepped in my path before I got to him though but my head was down and my eyes were closed holding back the tears from my earlier encounter with my dad and now my released rage. I tackled him to the ground and before I could swing I heard a firm voice yell, “Stop now Cris!” It was Eric Harrison.

It’s been 15 years since I walked away from a life of football. Probably the worst decision I’ve ever made since it’s the only thing I was good at. As some sort of celebration at my decision making skills, or lack thereof, and failure I come to the bar the 15th of June every year to do a lil’ binge drinking. Oddly enough, almost every year something of note happens and sadly enough, these are usually more exciting that what happens a month from now, my birthday.

In 2002 I was arrested for a brawl that took place outside the bar. Some City fan that apparently remembered my story came running his mouth with a bunch of his groupies reminding me about my failure, I didn’t appreciate his way of celebrating with me so I lost it. Luckily I got off as a first time offender at court, all thanks to my girlfriend Serenity, well thanks to her father, but mostly thanks to her because he doesn’t like me much, said I was a thug. In 2003, they found me an alley the next morning passed out, my celebration went well I thought, except, I couldn’t find my wallet.

Things changed in 2005 though.

Last edited:
Chapter One: Burning Desire?

June 13, 2005

I had an unlikely visit from some of the Fledglings themselves who heard about my annual “celebration.” Gary, Becks, Giggsy and Casper all showed up with huge grins wishing me a happy birthday. When I told them they were a month early it didn’t stop them from celebrating, it felt good to know they still considered me one of them even though the last time we all were in a group in good spirits was the day after my court appeal. There was one more person there and he wasn’t there for celebrating.

It was Eric Harrison, the father figure in my life. He looked me up and down with disappointment written all over his face yet he gave me a wry smile then a hug. “Let’s have a chat,” he muttered as he walked over to a corner table in the bar. “You don’t look a day older boy, but when’s the last time you had a shower?” he mocked. “While I can’t comment on your showering habits boss, I can say your age is starting to take away your looks. Not that you had much to begin with,” I replied with a grin. We both laughed on and spoke about the past for a little over an hour while the other lads continued having their drinks, then the tone of Harrison’s voice shifted and he looked me dead in the eye. “It’s time you shape up my boy, you’re 25 and most of you’re time has been spent here in some alley bar, wasting your time away,” “Hey now, I don’t need counse..” I tried to interrupt but he quickly halted my attempt, “Shut up and let me finish boy.” Truth is, Harrison was probably the only one that was allowed to call me boy, anyone else would be leveled on the floor by now. “As I was saying,” he continued, “It’s time you shape up. I’ve spoken with Serenity every now and then and she says you live and breathe football. She says she knows it pains you everyday to know you’re no longer apart of the game.” I clenched my fist as I could feel myself boiling over as his words began to sting, simply because it was the truth. I did miss the game. I picked up my drink, watched the ice swirl around the glass once and took it all in with one chug. I cringed as it went down as it burned the **** out of me but I put on a brave face, as I needed a way to calm down.

When I looked up Harrison had a smile on. “It’s true isn’t it? Here’s what you’ll be doing for me Cristiano.” Whenever Harrison called me by my name it always meant he was about to get serious. “You’re going to go for your coaching badges,” he continued, “You have that desire, the drive, that understanding of the game that you displayed when you were only 14. Get your badges then give me a call. Don’t disappoint me Cristiano.” Was he serious? He thinks I could actually be a coach? The only thing I’ve coached since calling it quits was u10’s and I got fired from that cause apparently yelling “Run faster with the ******* ball you fatty” wasn’t deemed acceptable by the parents. We won that game though and eventually they won the cup, though I didn’t manage the last 2 games and wasn’t allowed to watch them either. I looked at Harrison and forced out “Sure boss.” By this time I was sweating profusely, it was either from being nervous or the effects of me chugging hard liquor. Judging by how my heart was beating, I’d say I was nervous though. “Don’t worry, I have faith in you” encouraged Harrison, then before you know it Giggsy and Becks were lifted me off my bar stool and carried me out singing “We are the champions.” I laughed to myself remembering they won nothing that season but I joined along in their chorus as they marched out.

Last edited:
Chapter 2: Leftovers

June 15, 2009

It’s been 4 years since that talk with Eric. My celebrations have since changed. I was no longer drinking myself to a pulp or getting in brawls, but instead having house parties with my batch of youth team players of that year. I was, believe it or not, a youth coach. In 2007, I was living a dream; I was back at Carrington in the form of a coach, working as an assistant to Paul McGuinness. Harrison had the faith in me and I owe it all to him for everything I know and have achieved so far, though not much.

It was 7am and I was up on my drawing board sketching up some drills I wanted to try out then I heard a loud vibration from my coffee table. It was my cell phone going off with Harrison on the other end. “Isn’t it a little too early for you to be awake old man?” I said as I accepted the call. “It may be, but at least I’ve taken a bath already” he mocked. It’s a **** shame he can get 1 over on me when it came to my bath ethics. “Anyways, I trust you saw the news article I clipped out for you in your mail.” I picked up a letter that was torn open.
View attachment 208632

It was an article printed from off the web. “You know you could have just sent me the link to the article instead of printing it and sending it by mail right boss?” Calling Harrison ‘boss’ was almost 2nd​ nature now. “Yeah, but I know how behind time you were, so I didn’t think you had a computer,” he poked. “This is what we call Irony in today’s world boss” I retorted. “Anyways,” he continued, “It seems Sunderland has recruited yet another figure from Old Trafford.” There was a pause on the phone as Harrison waited for me to name the ones I knew just to test my knowledge of current affairs in the game. “Roy Keane, Kieron Richardson and now Bruce. Oh and reports have been linking Fraizer Campbell to them though nothing more has developed.” I answered quickly and confidently almost like a child in math class. “It’s almost as if they feed off our leftovers” I joked. “Well consider yourself leftovers now then boy, as Steve wants you part of his staff. Not with youths but as a tactical coach for his senior team.” I was in shock and that same feeling that had hit me the night Harrison first told me to get my badges came back. I was nervous and the only thing there to chug was a cup of hot coffee and I wasn’t even given it thought. “Me? He said he wanted me? Cristiano Alexis?” I forced out, as I was still stunned. “Yeah lad, I made the recommendation and you got the backing of McGuinness and Fergie. We all want this for you. He wants to meet with us at 5pm later today so go get showered, start get in your jalopy and I’ll tell you where we meet.

Later we met Bruce at a coffee house, he told us his plans and goals and explained why he wanted me to be a part of it. He said he saw that I had a drive in me and that Harrison spoke of me highly along with McGuinness. While I started to tell Bruce about my scouting knowledge and skills as well as my way of experimenting with tactics Harrison was reading through a document Bruce had given him. Then he said, “Looks good to me Bruce, not a bad contract for the lad at all. He may finally be able to move out of that dump he calls a home.” Then we all joined in a little laugh about it, I couldn’t help but laugh, as my studio flat was in need of some fixing. After looking through it, I put pen to paper and I was official a coach of Sunderland A.F.C.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: The Big Move

June 10, 2011
10:03pm
Galley! Get in here quickly!” I shouted on top of my lungs. “Brand! Call an ambulance!” I blurted out as my voice strained. It was a Friday night where Bruce had called a staff meeting to get an early start on next season and have a couple drinks. We had finished 10th​ this season and Bruce was determined for a Europe qualification next season. He said he had already finalized a number of transfers and it was now mere paperwork before it became official. Of the transfers I was pleased to hear that O’shea and Wes Brown, more United leftovers, were among them and a youth named Wickham that was showing signs of promise, a youth I had suggested, it was a good feeling.

It came as a shock to me the events that followed though. He put his big hand around his bottle of water and before he could get it to his head, it came crashing to the floor but it wasn’t the only thing that crashed to the floor as Bruce soon followed. He gripped the left side of his chest as if he were going to rip his heart out, then it clicked, he was having a heart attack.​

**​

June 11, 2011
1:20am

We were in the waiting area of The Sunderland Royal Hospital. By this time Harrison had joined me and Serenity came about an hour later. I was still shaken up and I sent everyone home to be with their families so they could calm down a bit, Erick Black chose to stay back though as he was a good friend of Steve.

The sleeves of my shirt were crumpled and rolled up to my elbows and my tie was loose. I was still in shock to what I had just witnessed. The doctors said that Bruce is doing well and recovering but they had to keep him to run tests. It was good news but I just couldn’t leave yet. “He’ll be fine lad. Take Serenity home, she deserves a rest and you do too,” Black said to me, while sipping on a cup of coffee. “I guess you’re right Eric, but please, don’t hesitate to call if anything comes up.” I reluctantly said, but he was right, Serenity had just come home from managing the night shift at her mother’s restaurant. Harrison was also asleep in a chair; old guy dragged himself here to make sure I was doing fine. It amazes me that I thought I had a crappy life 6 years ago. He changed my views on things.

I tapped Harrison on his leg with my foot to wake him up and told him it was time to go. I dropped him off at his home and made sure he was in before I drove off, his wife had given me the thumbs off that all was well then I drove off. Serenity was passed out in the passenger seat by the time we got to my place. If it were back in ’02 when we had just met, I would of left her in the car to sleep as a prank, but last time I did that she threatened to post some pictures she had taken of me on the night of my birthday. I still hear stories of what happened that night from her and my friends, but I still have no recollection of what had happened. I opened her door, told her to hold on tight and carried inside the house.

***​

June 15, 2011
Things had returned to normal. Bruce was out of the hospital and had his hearty laugh back, but you could tell he wasn’t 100% and that his mind was elsewhere, perhaps from the night that could possibly be labeled one of his scariest moments. After another staff meeting, Bruce asked me to stay back for a word, to which I accepted without question.

“What’s on your mind then boss?” I said to him as I started cleaning my drawing board. He eased back into his chair, let out a hefty sigh and started looking to the ceiling as if trying to find the words to say to me. “You know you can be direct with me Bruce, so out with it,” I assured him. “Well,” he started off with as he turned in his chair looking outside his window onto the field, “My days here are coming to an end lad.” “What do you mean? Is Quinn planning to give you the sack? He’d be a mad man! I can show him our plans for next season Bruce! I’ll make sure your still here!” I scowled in disbelief. Then I heard Bruce give another hefty laugh and then a voice behind me said “You’ll be showing me a presentation alright” with a chuckle at the end. It was Neil Quinn, the chairman of the club.​

What’s going on here?” I inquired, as I looked back and forth at them. Steve had turned his chair around again now facing us and Quinn had taken a seat. “Have a seat Cristiano,” Steve said with a huge smile on, “As I was saying, my days here are coming to an end in the capacity of manager. The doctors said it would be best to take a break from the sidelines and relax or I may die in a dugout one day. Of course the idea sounded appealing but my wife disagreed. Just wait until you tie the knot with Serenity lad, you’ll experience this hands on” he chuckled. I was still confused and wondering where this was going. “You see Cristiano or Alexis or Cristiano Alexis, what do you prefer being called?” asked Quinn as he smiled at me. “Cris, is fine Mr. Quinn,” I replied as I finally sat down. “Ah, well Cris, you can call me Neil. You see Cris, I’ve been getting a lot of recommendations for you ever since Bruce announced his resignation and this is your chance to convince me. I’ve spoken with Harrison who I know is a central figure in your decision making and he spoke highly of your abilities. I also spoke to Ferguson and Phelan at Manchester United who gave you their backing and of course, Bruce who was determined I give you a chance before he finalized his resignation.” By this time that burning feeling that has been haunting me in moments like these ever since I chugged the drink in ’05 came back and I slumped back into my chair and loosened my tie. “So, what you’re saying is that you want me to take over as manager of Sunderland?” I stumbled on at first but finally got out. “What I’m saying is, present me your ideas and if I find it suitable, I’ll present you with a contract I’ve prepared.” He replied with the same smile he had on since he walked in.

This was a good feeling, oh how much my life had changed and now I’d get a chance to make a bigger name for myself in the game. I sat up in my chair, composed myself, popped open the black leather briefcase that was laid next to my foot and started my presentation. About 2 hours passed, I highlighted the plans that Bruce had and then told them both I was going along the same lines, I told him that I would like to get a couple more players in along with a few faces in the game that I would love to be part of my staff. As time went by I could tell they liked what they were hearing and shared my vision.

Well, they sure were right Cris. You have that drive and passion a young and aspiring manager should have!” Quinn said as he opened up a folder he had in his hand. Take a look at this, he pulled out a document and leaned over extending it to me. I was still nervous so I slowly eased out my chair hoping I wouldn’t pass out or fall off my chair as I reached out to accept the document. It was my contract. Cristiano Alexis, was in bold print at the top and it was as if it lit a fire in me, but this time this feeling was great. “I’m willing to offer you a 2 year contract lad, worth £14,750 p/w. That will be enough for you right?” Little did he know that was more than enough, as I would start making 10x more than what I was making before. I could finally move out of my dump! “Oh! I almost forgot,” Quinn blurted out, “Here, this is a gift from all of us here at Sunderland, and Harrison” He then extended his hands and they were what seemed like keys to a house. “Harrison said you were living in a dump, I believe and that it wasn’t anywhere close to the stadium grounds,” Quinn said as he packed up. Bruce was packing up now too. I was still sitting holding the contract and keys, shocked and a little overjoyed. My life was taking a massive step up. “Have a look at the contract then get back to me lad,” were Quinn’s last words as he made way for the door.

Chapter 4: The beginning…we still burn red!

July 1, 2011

It was 5am. I couldn’t sleep; today was the day I had to meet with Neil. Everything was in place already; I had already agreed terms and met with those on Bruce’s staff to tell them of the changes. It was the hardest thing to let them go, but they all understood what I had planned for the club and why it was necessary I started fresh. Of the contracts I terminated, Erick Black was one. His termination was different though, he asked for it, he said that he felt he needed a break from the game too and he felt having an assistant who was a close friend of mine would do me well, similar to his relationship with Bruce. I knew exactly would fill that capacity for me and I had already given him a call with an offer, he said he’d get back to me.

I looked over on Serenity who had worked the night shift last night. She was sound asleep with a smile on. I was glad she was happy, next to Harrison and my family (except my father) and friends, she had stuck with me through the good times and bad and now I could finally reward her faith with a satisfactory way of living. The new apartment was definitely bigger than the last, the wood flooring didn’t creak like my last house either and it had a nice bright finishing.

I got out of bed and started getting ready for the day ahead. I buttoned my shirt up and decided to wear a red tie today. I exhaled as I straightened my jacket, “Let’s have it!” I shouted to myself in the mirror. Wasn’t bad I though, I definitely felt pumped.

On my way to the meeting I gave my mom a call for some encouragement. Then I gave Harrison a call. He gave me tips on handling my backroom along with the players. Before the conversation ended though, Harrison’s voice broke as he said, “It starts here lad. You’re now a manager, and you no longer need my guidance. I’ll be sure to watch most of your games though and I’ll definitely be in the stands for your first game against United!” Though it was hard to take in that Harrison would no longer be by my side calling shots for me, I did feel grateful for everything he had done. “Pity you’re old now boss, you could have been my assistant manager” I joked before I ended the call.
It was time for the meeting. I went into Quinn’s boardroom for the first time since I’ve been employed by Sunderland. Quinn was seated in his cheer reclined smiling at me as I walked in. I surely hoped he couldn’t tell how I amazed I was by the size of his chair, yet alone the size of the room. I greeted him and took a seat.

Hey Cris, hope you’re doing well today. This meeting won’t take very long as we’ve already spoken about your contract. We’ll just be looking at your season’s goal and how I’ll be able to help.” Quinn started with. “Okay good, well Neil,” I began, “I basically think we can qualify for the Euro Cup this season with the squad we have and the players I may bring in.

Neil:

I see, I see. Have any idea of the players you’re bringing in? I also see you’ve brought some staff in but no assistant manager. Need a suggestion?”

Cris:

In terms of players, I have no set target in mind yet as I’ll be analyzing the team along with the staff to see where we are falling short. Will also need to decide on my formation before I go buying players. In terms of staff, I have brought some people in. The likes of Mark Beeney as a Keeping coach and Paixao from Brazil, he’ll be a first team coach specializing in fitness levels. As for my assistant manager, when I get confirmation from the person I offered the job, I’ll let you know. There is also another coach I’m bringing in as a tactical advisor next to my assistant, another good friend of mine, quite capable

Neil:

You seem to have a general idea of what you want lad. Very nice. In line with your objectives, I can give you around £8.5 million for your transfer targets and a wage budget of £925 thousand. Feel free to maneuver with it to meet your needs.”

Cris:

Splendid, I’ll make the transfer budget stretch as much as I can."

Neil:

Good. Chelsea’s new manager Villas-boas is no longer the youngest manager in the Premier League Cris. You are and you are relatively unknown to add to that. Things will be tough for you, the media will hound you and the players will take time getting used to you, but you have my backing as long as you perform. Good luck and feel free to come to me whenever you need something. This meeting is over for now

Cris:

Thanks for the encouragement boss. I’ll be seeing you

Neil:

Oh and Cris, you’re official unveiling will be in 4 days so be prepared for that

Cris:

I got ya on that Neil. Take care

July 5th​, 2011
It was the morning of the press conference. I was nervous as **** and I had gotten up at 5am again this morning. I picked up a paper before I got here this morning and I got mixed emotions when I saw that there was a story on me. “Bruce illness hits Sunderland over the head!” was the headline. “Today Sunderland appointed Cristiano Alexis as their new manager. Alexis, who was apart of Manchester United’s youth academy 15 years ago before infamously walking out after a training ground bust-up has been with Sunderland for 2 years in the role as a tactical advisor to Steve Bruce. It is said that Bruce personally made sure that Cristiano Alexis got the job. Neil Quinn has taken a serious risk with this appointment however as Alexis is known to have been in various bar brawls in previous years as well as losing his temper in the smallest situations..” They were ****** fast, that’s all I could say after reading that much. It felt good to know that the media still took notice of my actions though, so people did have an idea as to who I was, even though they may not have thought good of me.

Neil and I walked out in the conference room. Lights were flashing from the cameras and their was a buzz in the room as everyone were mumbling in their individual conversations. I felt relaxed though as I had been rehearsing answers for questions I though they may ask all morning. “Can everyone take a seat please,” said Neil as he tried to calm the room down. He then went on to announce why Bruce had left and the direction the club were heading. “We intend to move forward and to move forward we need a manager, so without further ado, the new Sunderland A.F.C manager, Cristiano Alexis!” Neil exclaimed with joy. That was my official introduction, it was now me and the press.

The questions started to pour in:

You sit here as the new manager of Sunderland, is this the job of your dreams?”

Cris:

I am very pleased that I’m sitting here today as the new manager. The club and I share a similar vision and it will be a joy to start working towards it.

“This will be your first job in management and you are only 30 years old. Don’t you think the pressure will be too much for you?”

Cris:

If I thought it would be too much pressure I surely wouldn’t of taken the job. I think I am fully capable of thriving under any pressure I may face and grow as a manager as I do so.

“Have you met your players? How have they responded to the fact that you’ll be in charge of them with no experience in managing?”

Cris:

I haven’t met the players yet but I do have a team meeting after the conference. I anticipate some of them won’t take to me at first but I intend to win them over eventually and form a strong relationship with them.

“How will you be approaching the game tactically and do your players fit the bill?”

Cris:

At the moment nothing has been set in stone so I’ll be experimenting with the tactics in the preseason. I focus on a fast pace team based style of play however. So players with high work rate, speed and a sense of teamwork will thrive tactically with me. Everyone will get a chance to prove themselves.

Do you have targets in mind in the transfer market even though Steve Bruce has signed a number of players before his resignation? What is your transfer policy?

Cris:

This will be the last question I’ll be taking today as I have the team to attend to next. I currently don’t have any prime target but I do have in mind where I will be looking to make a couple signings. As for my transfer policy, I’ll be looking for young talented youths that are ready and determined to make a name for themselves.

Thank you for coming, farewell.

I proceeded out the conference room with Neil who smiled at me mouthing “Well done.” I think I handled it pretty well too. During the conference I saw 3 familiar faces around the back though. 3 faces I invited to join me today before I met the team, as they were now apart of my staff. My tactical advisor John Cooke, my new attacking coach Tony Whelan and my new assistant manager, Paul McGuinness. I raided the United camp in a fashion Sunderland was used to and I was pleased they all accepted my offer.

Now it was time to meet the team. McGuinness was now by my side with the reports I had requested. He was very quick with his work and that’s why I was pleased he took the job. He had every player listed along with the positions they are capable of playing and their contract information. I was amazed by how fast he had this done, probably had help from Bruce.

We walked into the room. My staff now in the room as there were about 5 new faces including Whelan, Cooke and Guinness. I could see the grins from Richardson, Wes Brown and O’shea when they saw them, since they have all previously worked with them. I loosened my tie and examined the room, I got some cold looks from the likes of Cattermole and Craigh Gordon who were had been here for a while., then some more comforting and inquisitive looks from loan signing Bendtner and David Vaughn. Only player that looked genuinely happy to see me was Fraizer Campbell and that may have been because I previously met with him telling him he would be playing in my senior squad once he recovered from his injury. I stepped to the front of the room and began.

Cris:

First, thank you all for coming on time. Everyone should know by now that I’ll be your manager this season. I’m Cristiano Alexis and many of you should know me from coaching in the last 2 seasons. First I’ll introduce you to the newer staff members. Paul McGuinness will take the role as assistant manager, then your new coaches are Tony Whelan, John Cooke, Paulo Paxaio, Mark Beeney, Adrian Lamb and Tosh Farrell.”

McGuinness:

Pleasure to meet you all, on behalf of the team, I’d like to say we are eagerly awaiting to work with each and everyone of you and you should feel free to come to us about anything

Cris:

Now that you’ve met the staff, I just want to take this on a more serious note.”
I looked around the room to make sure everyone was focused as noticed the change of tone in my voice, they all seemed to take notice.
You’ve all had your time to rest up on the break but now the hard work begins; this is our season to make a mark, this is going to be a good season for the club. We’re not only playing for ourselves this season but for Steve Bruce. Let’s use this season to thank him for the opportunity he’s given us all, and there is no better way to say thank you than a strong finish in the table. Let’s better last!

My words seemed to hit them, Lee Cattermole was the captain and his cold look now changed to a relaxed but stern expression. He was the first to speak on behalf of his team.

Lee:
You’re right boss, this is going to be a good season. We’re with you

O’shea and Titus Bramble then joined in:

We’re ready to take it to them!”

The room then burst into shouts and roars. I seemed to have gotten their support for now, though I’m sure that will change once training gets started.

Cris:

"Well that’s all for now lads, go home and rest up! Training begins tomorrow!”

Any1 following?

I've just read it all through, it's very good mate. The back story is great and the writing, punctuation and grammar are all of a high standard. I'll follow for sure, these are by far my favourite types of story, keep it up!

Thanks a lot, good know someone likes it :) Next update will come later today.

I have also just read right through it and really enjoyed the read, Superb. Love the way you built it up rather than just going from the usual "I was a pro got injured now I manage" but you built the story up and made it seem more realistic. I'll follow as much as possible and when your getting people like fuelled commenting on your story you know it's good, Good luck.

Thanks mate. Glad you guys liked the back story, was wondering if I took too long to get to the point.

July 15th​

Pre-season training has been going well. The lads have been responding well and no one had gone against any of my or my staff’s instructions so far. We’ve laid out our formations we’ll be testing out and the kinds of tactics we’d approach the games with. I also had transfer targets finally. My first target was a young Mexican starlet called Carlos Fierro. He was 16 but had potential. I had Bryan Robson fly out to Mexico to meet with him and provide a report on him for me. He also had recommended another Mexican named Erick Torres who played at the same club at Chivas. Robson regarded both as definite purchases so I was giving it thought. If I did decide to sign them though, only Erick would take the flight to the camp as Fierro would have to wait until his 18th birthday. However it might be a good idea to sign him now.

I was badly in need of wingers though, so I placed a £6 million bid on a young player from Basel, Xherdan Shaquiri. He could give us an option in attack though playing on the wing. Steve Nickson had scouted him for me and he said they wouldn’t settle for anything less than £8 million but I tried with 6 and bonuses first, because after all, my budget was only £8.5 mil that I could stretch to about £11 mil. I also needed a left back and a cover for right back. I got Jack Flannagan on loan from Liverpool for the season and gave a shot at trying to loan Greg Cunningham from Manchester City. They flat out rejected the bid however, but had no problem in offloading Wayne Bridge to me. Bridge wasn’t a bad player so I opted to get an option to purchase him for £1.1 million if he performed well. Let’s hope he does.

Our first first friendly was in 3 days. We've been working on team work all week, just to get the lads to know how each other are on and off the field. In the mornings the lads had their usual drills, then there were sprints done. Whoever finished last had to catch the fastest player of the sprint, he then could choose to have another player help him every 3 minutes. All I had to say on that exercise is that Ji Dong-Won was a slipperly lil guy, he made them run in circles for a good 10 minutes but Ahmed Elmohamady eventually got hold of him. The lads seemed to genuinely have fun with that exercise. Later that night I threw a lil party at my house for the team. No alcohol was allowed though, been a while since I had a party without alcohol but I had to be professional. I think this was the only time Frazier Campbell was happy he was injured though. After the party he offered to help clean up, he was a good lad. Pity he wouldn't be available to play for a while. Tomorrow's training would be a little harder though, then I'd be meeting Cattermole as I wanted him to do me a favor. He still didn't speak much to me unless adressed, so our discussion tomorrow interested me as to how it would turn out.

June 16th​
9:00am

The team met at the stadium as before the bus to head to the airport for Mexico arrived. I told the boys to go chill out around the facilities because the bus wasn’t going to be here until 11. I decided to take the time to check around the transfer market. The Wayne Bridge deal fell through as Manchester City sold Kolarov and decided to use Wayne as their option in left back. It was a bit strange, but I’m sure the media would cover that story eventually. I flipped through McGuinness’ reports and noticed he had 7 players listed for left back that I could get on loan. There was one I took note of then gave Gianluca Nani a call to get me a report on him as they both were in Italy. I then decided to make a formal bid for Carlos Fierro and Erick Torres as I had a perfect opportunity to meet the players when we were in Mexico. After I sent the offer off I got a response for my offer for Shaqiri, Basel were willing to negotiate. This was one of the things Harrison had schooled me in, negotiations, whether it be transfer fees or contracts. I felt confident I could get the deal done and I understood that Shaqiri was delighted to know that we had interest in him. After I sent off my new offer, I looked outside my window in the office and noticed that Lee Catermole was close by. I thought this as the perfect opportunity to have a word with him. I went outside to him as I was getting tired of being locked in the office, needed a bit of fresh air. As I was making my way to Lee, I had passed John Cooke flipping through his training schedules so I stopped by him because I remembered I needed him to do something for me too.

Cris:

“Hello John, how are you today?”

John was dedicated to his work so distracting him sometimes was a bad idea and he often times tuned out his surroundings, surprisingly he heard me this time around. He never used to hear me much at Trafford, I guess being manager does have its perks.

John:

“Ah, Cristiano, what’s on your mind?”

Cris:

“I need you to tell me what you think of Ji Wong Doo’s playing style. We could really make use of his flair and understanding of the game and those around him”

John:

“Glad you brought that up Cristiano as I was thinking the same thing, I could start tutoring him to get him to play one-twos, it would help with our build up play in the final third for sure and if he adapts to it well, he could really get some goals for himself.”

Cris:

“Great, we’re on the same page then. Hope you’ll be able to pick up where you left off with your schedules. I know how you tend to forget things.”

John:

“Ha-ha, Cristiano. Still looking out for your elders I see. I’ll get started with Ji right away though”

Cris:

“Take care John and thanks again”

John and I shared a good friendship outside of work back at Trafford so it was good to know I good still joke with him. Now I headed to Lee as this was as important as the conversation with John.

“Lee, a moment please?” I signaled to him as I stood not too far from where I was with John. He didn’t seem too pleased with me calling him as expected, he still hadn’t accepted me as his manager due to the close relationship he shared with Bruce. “May I help you boss?” he asked. His tone confirmed my earlier thoughts about our relationship, but I wouldn’t let that deter me as I was now his manager. “I’d like you to tutor someone for me. Colback will be apart of the senior team this season and I think he needs someone to look up to on and off the field to get used to it. You fit the bill perfectly.” I stated calmly. “Colback?” Lee asked as he looked around for him. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, I’d rather not.” He continued with the same tone he started with. I don’t recall he and Jack Colback having any issues over the years I’ve been here so I know this was his own personal problem with me. “Listen Lee, you’re going to have to put some trust in me.” I said to him as calm as ever. I thought I was handling this well and his expression changed a little, thought not much. “Sure then” he mumbled in reply. I then shouted out to Jack to join us. “Jack, I’ll be asking Lee to tutor you while you adapt to being apart of the senior team” I said to him with a pat on the shoulder. He seemed a little nervous as we really haven’t spoken much since my arrival. “Sounds okay to me boss” he fumbled out still seemingly a bit nervous, I don’t think Lee’s expressions helped much either. “Well is there anything else for me boss?” Lee asked. “No that’s it for now, carry on you two.” I stated then headed back to my office to see if I had gotten any more responses in regards to transfers. June 16th​
9:00am

The team met at the stadium as before the bus to head to the airport for Mexico arrived. I told the boys to go chill out around the facilities because the bus wasn’t going to be here until 11. I decided to take the time to check around the transfer market. The Wayne Bridge deal fell through as Manchester City sold Kolarov and decided to use Wayne as their option in left back. It was a bit strange, but I’m sure the media would cover that story eventually. I flipped through McGuinness’ reports and noticed he had 7 players listed for left back that I could get on loan. There was one I took note of then gave Gianluca Nani a call to get me a report on him as they both were in Italy. I then decided to make a formal bid for Carlos Fierro and Erick Torres as I had a perfect opportunity to meet the players when we were in Mexico. After I sent the offer off I got a response for my offer for Shaqiri, Basel were willing to negotiate. This was one of the things Harrison had schooled me in, negotiations, whether it be transfer fees or contracts. I felt confident I could get the deal done and I understood that Shaqiri was delighted to know that we had interest in him. After I sent off my new offer, I looked outside my window in the office and noticed that Lee Catermole was close by. I thought this as the perfect opportunity to have a word with him. I went outside to him as I was getting tired of being locked in the office, needed a bit of fresh air. As I was making my way to Lee, I had passed John Cooke flipping through his training schedules so I stopped by him because I remembered I needed him to do something for me too.

Cris:

“Hello John, how are you today?”

John was dedicated to his work so distracting him sometimes was a bad idea and he often times tuned out his surroundings, surprisingly he heard me this time around. He never used to hear me much at Trafford, I guess being manager does have its perks.

John:

“Ah, Cristiano, what’s on your mind?”

Cris:

“I need you to tell me what you think of Ji Wong Doo’s playing style. We could really make use of his flair and understanding of the game and those around him”

John:

“Glad you brought that up Cristiano as I was thinking the same thing, I could start tutoring him to get him to play one-twos, it would help with our build up play in the final third for sure and if he adapts to it well, he could really get some goals for himself.”

Cris:

“Great, we’re on the same page then. Hope you’ll be able to pick up where you left off with your schedules. I know how you tend to forget things.”

John:

“Ha-ha, Cristiano. Still looking out for your elders I see. I’ll get started with Ji right away though”

Cris:

“Take care John and thanks again”

John and I shared a good friendship outside of work back at Trafford so it was good to know I good still joke with him. Now I headed to Lee as this was as important as the conversation with John.

“Lee, a moment please?” I signaled to him as I stood not too far from where I was with John. He didn’t seem too pleased with me calling him as expected, he still hadn’t accepted me as his manager due to the close relationship he shared with Bruce. “May I help you boss?” he asked. His tone confirmed my earlier thoughts about our relationship, but I wouldn’t let that deter me as I was now his manager. “I’d like you to tutor someone for me. Colback will be apart of the senior team this season and I think he needs someone to look up to on and off the field to get used to it. You fit the bill perfectly.” I stated calmly. “Colback?” Lee asked as he looked around for him. “I don’t think that’s a good idea, I’d rather not.” He continued with the same tone he started with. I don’t recall he and Jack Colback having any issues over the years I’ve been here so I know this was his own personal problem with me. “Listen Lee, you’re going to have to put some trust in me.” I said to him as calm as ever. I thought I was handling this well and his expression changed a little, thought not much. “Sure then” he mumbled in reply. I then shouted out to Jack to join us. “Jack, I’ll be asking Lee to tutor you while you adapt to being apart of the senior team” I said to him with a pat on the shoulder. He seemed a little nervous as we really haven’t spoken much since my arrival. “Sounds okay to me boss” he fumbled out still seemingly a bit nervous, I don’t think Lee’s expressions helped much either. “Well is there anything else for me boss?” Lee asked. “No that’s it for now, carry on you two.” I stated then headed back to my office to see if I had gotten any more responses in regards to transfers.