hugsy

Reaction score
Hello there, i was wondering about PPM, and what you guys do when your newgen have awsome stats like +16 finishing, +16 technice, +16 composture. Do you teach him any finishing ppm? shoot with power? or place shots?

Because i got 4 attackers, all with shoot with power, and they score like crazy, but this one with awsome stats but 13 decisions waste too many chances, so i did a test with editor and got him 20 decisions. Now he rarely misses a goal. Does that make sense? Decicion is a key stats for attackers too? Of couse a lot of stats will change hes game, but that surprised me a lot. Maybe its worth teaching shoot with power only when hes decisions is high too?

Anyway, when to teach shoot with power, place shots or leave the player without finishing ppms?

Btw, they all are central attackers.

Thanks

If his stats are like that I wouldn't teach any PPMs at all, as the player is likely to be good enough to score anyway. I use the following rule of thumb:

- shoots with power decreases the accuracy of the shot, but increases the chance of a goal when it's on target. Therefore it's a good choice for players with poor shooting attributes and players who take most of their shots from in front of goal. Don't teach it to wingers as it'll make shots from a narrow angle even less likely to succeed. It is however a good choice for players with an average long shots attribute who still shoot from distance regularly, for the aforementioned reasons. Players with very good shooting (17+) don't need this as it trumps their accuracy.

- places shots for players who are composed and possess good technique. Players with poor finishing are a bad choice this time around as it forces them to put their shots close to the sides of goal, increasing the chance of it missing or hitting the post. For those players it's better to just blast it at the target. I also don't teach it to players with very good finishing, as I feel that sometimes placing shots isn't the best option, like from some way out or when the goalkeeper has rushed out to meet the striker.

- Rounds keeper and lobs keeper is for a very particular kind of player. Obviously bad dribblers, slow or uncomposed players won't be very good at rounding the player as they take longer on the ball and thus are more prone to losing the ball, getting caught by a backtracking defender or just being unable to go round the keeper and having to shoot from a very narrow angle. Good dribblers and players who are often in one-on-one situations (fast poachers) can benefit a lot here. Lobbing the keeper requires great technique and quite some flair, otherwise you're like to see a lot of balls floating harmlessly over the bar.

As to the decisions stat it's, as with everything, instrumental to the finishing process, your player may be able to put the ball wherever he wants it, but if he decides to just hit it towards the keeper you're still not going to score.

Adding to the post above about rounding the keeper, try to only teach that to players with high agility and balance.

I think shoot with power is for players with high finishing but low composure and/or decision

Placed shot is for players with high finishing and composure but low decision.

Lob keeper is the same as placed shot, but the players also need good technique, anticipation, flair

Round keeper is for players with high dribbling, flair, agility but low finishing and/or decision and/or composure.

Overall, decision is the deciding factor for PPM. If your player has it low, he will likely need a PPM to be more efficient. If your player has decision over 18, there is no need for any PPM unless he has extremely low composure (which will reduce decision in vital moments).

Last edited:
Pretty good summary from Draigh there.

Shoots with power is best off for strikers with average/ poor finishing and high strength.

Can't say I agree with much of Dragonax's post there mate sorry.

Decisions is one of the most important stats in the game for any player, not just strikers. It impacts practically every move in the game (where do I pass the ball? Where do I shoot? Do I decide to dribble or pass? Should I press the player on the ball or lunge in two footed?).

I disagree, having shot with power in strikers with low finishing only make them sky the ball even more.
For me, it works better with players who have low decision/composure because they only need to blast the ball instead of having to think where to put it.
I'm not sure if strength play critical factor in this but it seems like strong players like Drogba, Ibrahimovic have harder to catch shots so it could be true.