W4FC B3N

Reaction score
Alright, I'm Wigan in my first season, I had a brilliant start, was 9th with a hefty amount of points and the press are going mad about how I'm over-achieving. Come Christmas, I bring in David Trezeguet and Ganso, to join Yaya Sanogo who has been on loan at Preston for 3 months. I have just gone on a streak of 12 games without winning, 9 of them losses.

How am I best playing these three? I want to build my team around Ganso and I've been playing him as an Advanced Playmaker [Support] with Sanogo and Trezeguet ahead of him as Poacher and Deep Lying Forward, respectively. I'm using a 4-1-2-1-2 formation with MR and ML (Crusat and Streit (on loan)), McCarthy in Defensive Mid, support.

I have about 10 games left to play in the league, 5 of which are against teams below me so I'm going to have to win/draw all of these if I want to stay up. I'm currently 5 points clear of relegation, with West Brom on a hot-streak, catching me.

[I managed to get Sanogo (£6m up front) and Ganso (£5m up front, £15m over 36 months) by selling Rodallega (£7.5m), Diamé (£10m) and Thomas (£5m) and I had made £10m finance profit in the months up to Christmas, if anyone wondered].

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

I'll post up some screenshots when I get home.

Last edited:
McCarthy Streit and Crusat all need to be playing higher up the field selling Diame and Thomas was stupid bearing in mind u play a defensive midfielder Di Santo in for Trezeguet Gohouri for Piscu

That's a bad situation to be in; desperately needing a win and morale at rock bottom. In your position, I'd just try and take the pressure off the players in team talks before the games and praise them any way you can to try and get the morale up. Also, if you've got some tough games coming up why don't you drop Trezeguet and bring in another player in midfield, might help you grind out a result? Good luck mate.

as you are wigan id play defensive ( rigid ) it all my matchs even at home. reason being wigan isnt a mid - table team they are a team trying to hang out the bottom three. play 4-5-1 would suit wigan. i done this with aston villa but i went on and won the league, photos to prove.. just starting up a season with newcastle and ill do the same with them

wolfsongs team talk guide might help you out :) also, i dont agree with no centre mids :) ganso has always been terrific in cm as an att mid support for me, so maybe a little formation adapting imo too. good luck!

Well, I actually managed to survive. I took both strikers out and played a 4-1-4-1 with nobody up front, Ganso was my highest player at CAM and he scored 4 in the next 5 games and got player of the month. I survived only because QPR lost on the last day and I managed to score 1 against West Brom, even though they beat me 2 - 1. So thanks for the help :D

Brought in Joel Matip (loan) and Junior Hoillett and they have been on fire in the pre-season. Also bought Vincent Enyeama on a free but he's currently second string to Al-Habsi who's had a few good games.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

McCarthy Streit and Crusat all need to be playing higher up the field selling Diame and Thomas was stupid bearing in mind u play a defensive midfielder Di Santo in for Trezeguet Gohouri for Piscu

I gave Diamé new contract after I sold Thomas because I wanted to keep him, then Zenit offered £10m (his new release clause) and I had to sell him, but Battaglia has been a cracking replacement.

Hi Ben, some tough results up there mate, well done on staying up though..

you do need to adopt a more defensive approach playing as a weaker team in the EPL (as you can see by your Villa and Arsenal losses) you need to be sound defensively and good at set pieces and on the counter. Hoilett will help with some much needed pace. I would suggest using the 4-3-3 I uploaded ages ago if you want to try it (stick it in match prep for a month or two and see if you like it)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ng/65421-raikan007s-perfect-4-3-3-tactic.html

otherwise I can suggest playing something along the lines of this formation:

View attachment 195583

Cm will be Ganso: Role: Adv Playmaker - Attack, set him to run with the ball more often, be the only one with high creative freedom and play mixed passing and many through balls! retrain him to become natural Cm.

You can set him as playmaker if you like however I normally do not set Cm's as playmakers or anyone for that matter.

You will need to use Touchline shouts like:

1) clear ball to flanks (helps when playing on the counter)
2) pass into space
3) work ball into box (stops needless long shots and pointless crosses)

He can venture forward and attack as he was two Dm's behind him as cover as well as when not in possession, he will help on defence :)

if you would like roles/duties for the rest I will gladly try and assist you if you would like to use something along these lines or even create a tactic for you to use :)

I hope this helps in someway :)

Team settings:

Philosphy: Balanced/rigid
Strategy: Counter/Defend vs bigger teams and Control/attack vs weaker teams
Passing: More direct
Creative Freedom: More discliplined
Closing down: stand off (this is better when playing vs bigger teams as they will rip you apart if you try and rush them)
Tackling: Default
Marking: Zonal
Crossing: Default (if you have big strikers with good jumping and heading then float, otherwise defualt as it mixes it up)
Roaming: Stick to position

Defensive Line: Deep (on the border of normal and deep, this will allow teams to come on to you then you can counter)
Width: Narrow
Tempo: Quick (just on border of normal and quick, this helps with the speed of counter and attacking)
Time wasting: Sometimes (just on border of never and sometimes)
Focus passing: through the centre
Counter: Yes
Offside: No

also, look at Giannis Fetfatzidis and Harry Novillo too, great young wingers :)

Wow thanks, as soon as I get home, I'm trying all of that! MY line-up, judging off that I think will be lookign something like;

GK: Al-Habsi
Defence (R to L): Boyce - Matip - Gohouri - Figueroa [I have a LB and a RB for cover, who are relatively younger than Fig and Boyce]
Midfield: DM's; Battaglia - McCarthy [Will retrain him to DM], CM; Ganso.
Attack: (R to L) Hoillett - Sanogo - Crusat [Both have over 16 pace so they'll be excellent, I suppose as Wingers/Support, supplying the striker in the box from the byline on counter attacks]

What role am I best playing Sanogo as? I've sent Di Santo on loan to Mallorca because he wouldn't stop complaining about a first team place and I was trying to blend Trezeguet and Sanogo in all season with no avail XD. And also, would it be useful as setting Figueroa to a Wing Back/Cross often from deep or would that leave me too exposed?

Thanks again for the help :D going to make it my last hoorah before FM2012.

sounds like a good setup there mate :)

Wingers - Support yes!

what does Sanogo look like? (stat wise for you?) you could always try a good old fashioned TM tactic, set ball to head and all players cross to the TM?

dont let your fb's get too far forward in order to cross often. by doing so you will leave spaces behind them for the opposing team to counter you.. definately set cross from deep :)

set your Dm's to man mark though, this will ensure they will permanently track the ball carrier and provide cover for the fb's if out of position and provide protection to your back 4 as well :)

Sanogo is still young, 17/18, so his stats aren't fully developed yet. He had a good spell on loan at Tranmere, scoring 5 in 6 appearances in a 3 month spell (god knows why they didn't play him more). He's just a bit better than what he starts off like. I've got pretty good coaches and I've upgraded the training ground so maybe this season he will come through better. As for my FB's, I'll set to Roam from position - no, cross - sometimes, from deep, with a defensive mentality and more direct passing?

even set your fb's to hug touchline, I have tried it before and it works well, helps give extra width to your formation :)

yeah, thats perfect! play through balls sometimes too and very little creative freedom, the only player that should have more than half is Ganso :) you want the team to play exactly as to what you have set out, creative freedom allows players to do whatever they want and should be used sparingly to obtain the greatest effect :)

Alright, top stuff! Appreciate the help greatly! :D And I'll be sure to tell you how it goes, see if I can replicate my success I had with Wigan a few months back when I was about to finish 4th in the league and it crash dumped :( :(

Wow thanks, as soon as I get home, I'm trying all of that! MY line-up, judging off that I think will be lookign something like;

GK: Al-Habsi
Defence (R to L): Boyce - Matip - Gohouri - Figueroa [I have a LB and a RB for cover, who are relatively younger than Fig and Boyce]
Midfield: DM's; Battaglia - McCarthy [Will retrain him to DM], CM; Ganso.
Attack: (R to L) Hoillett - Sanogo - Crusat [Both have over 16 pace so they'll be excellent, I suppose as Wingers/Support, supplying the striker in the box from the byline on counter attacks]

What role am I best playing Sanogo as? I've sent Di Santo on loan to Mallorca because he wouldn't stop complaining about a first team place and I was trying to blend Trezeguet and Sanogo in all season with no avail XD. And also, would it be useful as setting Figueroa to a Wing Back/Cross often from deep or would that leave me too exposed?

Thanks again for the help :D going to make it my last hoorah before FM2012.

Figeuro and Boyce suck ***, like seriously bad, but if you are playing them as defensive then you should be fine, although there will be very little support for your wingers.

McCarthy is a bit of a waste as DM but you don't seem to have much choice, Deep Lying playmaker is your best option for him although you will need to improve his strength considerably and his marking (i think). Alternatively you could try sell him, a fee of around 10m is probably achievable which you could invest in a new GK and/or CB which would help you out a lot.

If you can, try to bring in Gueye from Everton, usually available for around 5m but he is totally worth it, pretty much the LW version of Hoillett and they are two players I rate very highly on FM. If Sanogo is the player I think he is then play him as target man, with two good suppliers either side he should bang a few in, but I'd also invest in a poacher as well it's the easiest way to score on FM, fast strikers. Try to get Danny Welbeck on loan!

Well I have Enyeama, just got him on a free transfer. I do need a replacement for Crusat in the near future, he's getting on a bit now, but still very fast. There are a lot of people after McCarthy and I think I could get a bit more for him in a couple of seasons time. Think I'll try to get Matip on a permanent after the season, but he could cost me a pretty penny, he's currently under contract at United and worth £7m, but he's only very young and already a class act. I actually have another DM who I bought in the last transfer window, he's 24 and his defensive stats are awesome but his technical column is pretty dire, can't think of his name right now. I'll have to update with the players I've added to my roster. when I do get home. But will definately have a look at Gueye, I too admire the kid, just never thought about him. Thanks Andy.

Last edited:
and if you use the Poacher (which Andyy did mention is the easiest way to score, and it really is) set this player as your TM and set run onto ball, drill crosses and your wingers cross near post :) if played anything else the larger Cb will win everything against you!

Jan Chramosta is your perfect bet for this :) wont cost much either ;) he can play on the left hand wing too which adds that extra bit of candy to the deal!
117668d1291921240-jan-chramosta-mladla-boleslav-jan-chramosta-profile_-attributes-.png

if you can, try and get Josuha Guilavogui - St Ettiene for around £2m as well :)

125540d1295436549-josuha-guilavogui-st-ettienne-josuha-guilavogui-profile_-attributes-.png

or Eliaquim Mangala - Std Liege for around £1.3m

Eliaquim-Mangala_Large.jpg

I can't top any of the advice that you have just been given other than to agree with what has been said about James McCarthy - real waste in a defensive positon, I'd use him as cover for Ganso and have him down as an advanced playmaker - train him the right way and he can be a class act in this position.

Still linked to McCarthy, he is probably the reason you are losing (and perhaps ironically your best player before the signings) - he just won't be giving your back four enough of a defensive shield, simple as that really. Diamé would have been perfect but I read how he left, bit unfortunate. You might want to make an enquiry for someone like Fabrice Muamba, he would be perfect and very affordable.