GCSE Langauge Exams

Raphael.

Reaction score
More specifically the writing controlled assessments

So for those who have not taken them it is basically an exam (sort of) where you have to do a piece of writing in the language.

So for people that have taken it. How do you remember your draft of by heart?
I need help.... Got mine on Friday and I have no clue on how to memorize it. o_O

Read it to yourself/friends/family over and over.

And re-write it to yourself in notes.

Just done my French Speaking. For memorising speaking or writing stuff, I find taking a sentence by sentence approach is the most helpful.

Learn the first sentence, say it out loud, learn the second, say it out loud, then say them both together, and so on. It takes a while, but it'll be worth it (I got full marks in my first writing task). This may sound like it would work better for speaking, but you need to have it in your head for writing too. It also helps to write it over and over again.

Do you get a 40 word plan? Use sentence starters in it for prompts, but use more prompts towards the end, as you'll be most confident for the opening due to the amount of times you've done it, so you're not wasting words.

Good luck :)

What I do before is keep writing it out over and over again then it sticks in your head, it helps alot.

I literally just did my spanish writing exam, do they let you have 40 help words and a dictionary? Or just the 40 words?

Do what I did, and nearly fail.

Seriously though, try memorising each bit in turn, in small fragments, before piecing it all together.

40 words and dictionary.
Gonna try recording it on my phone and listening to it over and over again. If I can learn the lyrics to a song by listening it to it a couple of times, and they have more than 300 words.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

What I do before is keep writing it out over and over again then it sticks in your head, it helps alot.

When you say that do you mean writing at it with a copy beside you, writing what you can, referring to what you cant and what not?

Record yourself speaking it and listen to it and try and speak along to it.

40 words and dictionary.
Gonna try recording it on my phone and listening to it over and over again. If I can learn the lyrics to a song by listening it to it a couple of times, and they have more than 300 words.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

When you say that do you mean writing at it with a copy beside you, writing what you can, referring to what you cant and what not?

You could do it two ways...

Do it your way or just write it once then read it then do it again without looking then repeat than you will find that it will stick with you.

It's really not that hard to cheat with this sort of thing. Are you in a classroom?

Just sayin'.

I wrote down all of the infinitive versions of words that had different ending depending on who they're aimed at (I, You, He/She ETC) Then just tried to memorize other bits and adding random words.

Then you can use the dictionary to look up what ending you need for the infinitive verb.

If that was confusing, dont worry :L I dont understand what I just wrote either.

It's really not that hard to cheat with this sort of thing. Are you in a classroom?

Just sayin'.

1) There would be AQA invigilators.
2) My school has exam hall, so I wouldn't be in a classroom.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

So what language did every do theirs in?
Currently doing mine for Italian but got French next year. God I hate language GCSE's. o_O

was gonna suggest do what i did and take a piece of paper from the classroom then write it out at home. Then do a sly switch in the class room ;) But since you're in an exam hall I would suggest learning a little each night my reading and copying it out and then eventually try doing it all. Did mine in Spanish, got an A overall :)

Currently doing mine for Italian but got French next year. God I hate language GCSE's. o_O

GCSEs are a doss ;) Just wait until you get to A level :p

I was forced to do the whole Spanish course in a year, in Y9. :(

Also, don't stress. GCSE's are both ridiculously easy and irrelevant once you do A-levels.

I was forced to do the whole Spanish course in a year, in Y9. :(

Also, don't stress. GCSE's are both ridiculously easy and irrelevant once you do A-levels.

This. I didn't work at all for my GCSEs (and when I say I didn't work at all, I really mean I did NO work at all) and I cruised them. Try the same thing with A Levels and you've failed everything no doubt. :p

This. I didn't work at all for my GCSEs (and when I say I didn't work at all, I really mean I did NO work at all) and I cruised them. Try the same thing with A Levels and you've failed everything no doubt. :p

I did exactly the same. :p I even forgot I had a Biology exam one day. :p

Wow, are they really that easy to ace?

Well, they were for me, but honestly don't take it that way. I've got some friends who didn't do any work either and got like 5 Es and 3 Ds. Not to sound vain or anything, it's just I have a family of intellectuals so I can pretty much just walk the stuff like English and Geography, essay subjects. I was rubbish at Maths and so on though. I'm pretty smart but I'm very, very lazy. To put it into FM terms, my creativity and flair is pretty high, but my work rate is rubbish.

If someone points this out to me though, my aggression ratings generally come into play. ;)

Really, I guess we're trying to emphasise how hard A-Levels are in comparison. I used to think GCSEs were hard too.

Last edited:
Wow, are they really that easy to ace?

how are you doing atm? Are you getting As and Bs in tests and essays? If yeah then you won't need to do too much revision to walk the exams but if you're not you will need to put work in. Basically I started off revising for my GCSEs but after my science exams I just couldn't be bothered so didn't revise for rest. Still managed to get A*, 7As and a B. If you don't feel comfortable doing no revision then do some ;)

Not even finished writing mine and the actual speaking is on 30th and 31st of March